PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Does't FF or REW With FLAC Files

robbiex
2007-08-08, 08:22
Pressing Squeezebox fast forward or rewind with a large FLAC file results in a re-start of the audio from the beginning of the file. The functionality works properly with SoftSqueeze.

ermine
2007-08-08, 09:30
How big is big? I use flac for all my CDs and the whole CD is held as a flac, with a cue sheet to index it. On 6.5.3 Win32 and a bog-standard original squeezebox the >> and << buttons step to the next and previous tracks okay, though I don't have search within the track. The FLAC is the size of the whole CD.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-08, 09:41
I believe it's probably related to the possible stream error you reported here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37434

robbiex
2007-08-08, 17:20
Hi Ermine & Mark,

File size is about 550MB.
The behavior that you describe is the same as ours. You can use << or >> to backup or go forward between tracks, but not to advance or backup in an individual track. Most players have this latter capability, but Squeezebox apparently cannot do it, at least with FLAC encoding.
It is an unfortunate limitation with large sized files (that is, tracks). It is not, however, an insurmountable problem because there are multiple ways of splitting long tracks into shorter segments.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-09, 06:56
Most players have this latter capability, but Squeezebox apparently cannot do it, at least with FLAC encoding.

SlimServer definitely can do this, at least with smaller FLAC files. You sure you're not transcoding? Check Server Settings - File Types. FLAC - FLAC (built-in) should be the only one checked, at least for FLAC types.

robbiex
2007-08-09, 10:52
Hi Mark,

Thank you again for the reply.
FLAC was set FLAC -> FLAC and FLAC -> WAV. I removed the check on FLAC -> WAV, but it didn't change the fast forward behavior.
There is a single 550MB sized track. Pressing >> consistently results in an immediate reset to the start of the file rather than advancing forward in the track.

Robbie

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-09, 11:07
Have you tried pressing versus pressing-and-holding?

Press to advance to the next track in the playlist. Press and hold to search within the track.

robbiex
2007-08-09, 15:29
I am familiar with the >> press and hold option. Unfortunately, with our FLAC file the instant that the >> key is depressed, or depressed and held, the track is reset to its starting point.
I also found out today that it is necessary to uncheck the "Windows Media Built-in" file option for mms URL access to work and, if this is done, << and >> no longer work on the Squeezebox with WMA files.