PDA

View Full Version : Slow Chirpy Sound

skipjames
2007-08-07, 18:24
Apologies if this has been covered before, but i couldnt find anything describing my situation.

I just set up a new SB3. Server is located on an imac and connection is wireless. all files playing apple lossless format. the first few seconds of a song are clear, but then i get a slow (maybe 1/2 speed) sound that is very chirpy with fast, repeated drop outs. my wifi connection strength is low (only 40-50%). not sure if the problem is bad wireless connection or improper settings.

thanks very much for any suggestions.

peejay
2007-08-08, 02:00
Have you tried running the SB3 in a wired configuration instead of wireless. This would rule out and wireless problems, which are of an order of magnitude more difficult to sort out than some other anomalies...I run my Squeezebox at about the same wireless signal strength as you, playing lossless files with no problems, just to give you an indication that signal strength alone is sometimes not a clear indicator of potential problems.

Here's something else to test. If a person stands in my kitchen blocking the line-of-site path between the wireless router in my office and my squeezebox in our living room, sometimes I experience what you describe...I have proven this by moving my better half around the kitchen and observing the results. Someone else may like to describe the physics behind this, but I expect the explanation would share the same basis as why food gets hot in a microwave oven....hmmm

Try running the performance tests accessible through your Squeezebox remote - choose 'Plugins' then 'Network Test' (I'm running Slimserver 6.52 on XP and that's the menu path I use) ...they may also shed some light...
Good luck.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but i couldnt find anything describing my situation.

I just set up a new SB3. Server is located on an imac and connection is wireless. all files playing apple lossless format. the first few seconds of a song are clear, but then i get a slow (maybe 1/2 speed) sound that is very chirpy with fast, repeated drop outs. my wifi connection strength is low (only 40-50%). not sure if the problem is bad wireless connection or improper settings.

thanks very much for any suggestions.

skipjames
2007-08-08, 04:25
thanks for the advice. network test shows that, at 1000, i am down around high single digits or low teens. buffer fullness shows 0%.

i assume this must be a wireless connection issue. maybe time to try a new router with a high gain antenna?

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-08, 07:01
You're experiencing the buffer emptying and droputs.

See here for some tweaks:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsSecondGuide