PDA

View Full Version : WEP or WPA

Robin
2007-08-07, 07:26
SB working well via WPA at home in the UK, but I'm now in France trying to connect through our French router. SB has found the router ok (it's an Inventel Livebox) and is asking for a WPA key. The key issued with the router is a 26 character long hex key - surely this is a WEP key, not WPA? Anyway, having entered it, the SB still doesn't connect.

I've checked and re-checked the key a dozen times (takes a while to enter via the remote!), I've set the Livebox's firewall security level to 'minimum'
How does SB know whether to prompt for a WEP versus a WPA key? The Livebox is set up to offer 'WPA or WEP' security. I could change it to WPA only but I'm worried about upsetting the box - it took ages to get online here...

Anyone help? (I've tried the KB already).

Siduhe
2007-08-07, 08:30
Just to check, is the Livebox in 'pairing' mode when you try to enter the password?

Robin
2007-08-07, 08:51
Just to check, is the Livebox in 'pairing' mode when you try to enter the password?

I don't think it is - is that when you press a button on the box to try to establish a wireless connection (sounds obvious as I write this!). I'll give it a try, thanks.

Siduhe
2007-08-07, 09:12
That's the one, from memory when your Livebox is not in Pairing/Association mode, no other device (which has not previously been associated to your Livebox) will be allowed to connect.

There is a button labelled (1)on the back of your Livebox and the Pairing/Association mode is indicated by a flashing light.

HTH

Robin
2007-08-08, 08:54
Pairing did the trick - thanks. It's actually a good idea, until you forget that's what it does.