PDA

View Full Version : SoftSqueeze problems on Linux ?

erland
2007-08-06, 14:53
Does anyone else have problems with SoftSqueeze on Linux ?

The problem I'm having is that SoftSqueeze totally hangs pretty often when playling FLAC songs, sometimes also with MP3. The hang often occur when I change to play another track. When it has hung, I can shutdown SoftSqueeze and restart it again and then the song continues to play.

I'm using SlimServer 6.5.3 and have tried both Java 5 and Java 6. The problem also exists in previous SlimServer 6.5 releases, I haven't checked if it also occurs in 6.3 and earlier.
I've tried both SoftSqueeze 3.4 and 3.3 and the problem is the same in both releases.

It works perfectly on Windows.

The computer I'm running softsqueeze on is Ubuntu Feisty 7.04, I have tried to connect to a locally installed SlimServer and also towards a remote SlimServer running on a Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 computer. The problem is the same in both configurations.

I have posted some SoftSqueeze log files here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=207995#post207995

I appreciate any ideas of how to solve the problem or confirmations on that I'm not the only one that is seeing this.

Dougal
2007-08-07, 05:48
Yep, not much help, but I too get the network connection failed message on Kubuntu 7.04 connecting to slimserver on cc4.
Doug.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-07, 08:11
Same here on Ubuntu 7.04, SS 6.5.1 and Java 5. I thought it was the Java version but I see you have problems with 6 as well.

I get a screen that looks like the SoftSqueeze window, but there's nothing in the window and I have to kill the process to get rid of it.

Interestingly, it worked just fine once, then never again.

Ron F.
2007-08-07, 19:04
I had this problem too.

I am running Ubuntu 7.04, and the Java 6 JRE versions would not work. What finally did work for me was to install the Java 1.5.0_11 JRE, Softsqueeze version 3.4, and Slimserver 6.5.3.

I have it running now, as I write this.

-Ron

erland
2007-08-07, 22:42
What finally did work for me was to install the Java 1.5.0_11 JRE, Softsqueeze version 3.4, and Slimserver 6.5.3.This is exactly the versions I'm running, so this didn't solve the problem for me. Although I also has Java 1.6.0 installed on the machine, but it's 1.5.0_11 that is active and that 's also the version that is shown within the SoftSqueeze preferences window.

To make sure we are seeing the same problem, this is what happens in my setup:
1. I can successfully start SoftSqueeze and start playing something
2. If I now use the Fwd button to skip to next song, SoftSqueeze totally hangs. The progress timer stops and SoftSqueeze no longer receives any remote commands.
3. Restart of SlimServer doesn't help, when SlimServer is restarted SoftSqueeze doesn't connect, it is still hanged.
4. Restart of SoftSqueeze solves the problem and the next songs start to play again.

The problem is repeatable with both FLAC and MP3 songs on the current machine. I'm pretty sure my previous installation on another computer only had the problem with FLAC songs, while MP3 worked correctly. The exact same songs works perfectly with a standard SqueezeBox with the same SlimServer installation and computer. SoftSqueeze doesn't seem to hang if I play the song to the end and SlimServer itself switches to the next song, then it successfully switch song and starts playing next song without any hang. The hang problem also occurs if I switch song when a song is playing some other way, for example start to play another artist or album from the browse menu.

I've also seen situations where SoftSqueeze is hanged with a blank screen, but I'm not completely sure when this happens.

I've installed slimserver with the tar.gz package and used the build-perl-modules.pl script to build the necessary perl modules.

On Windows on the same machine (dual booted) everything works perfect, so the problem seems to be related to Linux.

Ron F.
2007-08-08, 00:38
Erland,

Your problem might be different than what mine was. SoftSqueeze would hang on me at any time, usually within two minutes of the first song I tried to play. The progress timer would not be incrementing correctly, and then the song would stop, and the SoftSqueeze screen would freeze or go black. Pressing the NOW button on the Soft remote would cause an instant hang. Changing songs would hang it as well.

I will look at my Ubuntu machine tomorrow and see if there is anything else I did that might have been instrumental in making it work.

One difference between us is that I think I had installed Slimserver using the Synaptic Package Manager. I don't see why that would matter, as I don't think the problem has anything to do with Slimserver itself. My problem was rooted in either the JRE or SoftSqueeze itself.

My problem was only occuring with SoftSqueeze running on the same Ubuntu platform running Slimserver. If I were to run SoftSqueeze on a separate Windows platform - it would connect to Slimserver on the Ubuntu machine and run fine.

-Ron

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-08, 06:34
Just tried it again. It now freezes at the splash screen and crashes gracefully.

If I try it as a web applet though, it crashes Firefox.

Ubuntu 7.04, SS 6.5.1, JRE 1.5.0-11-1ubuntu2.

Last time I tried it on my Windows laptop accessing the Ubuntu SS server, it worked fine.

erland
2007-08-08, 09:33
My problem was only occuring with SoftSqueeze running on the same Ubuntu platform running Slimserver. If I were to run SoftSqueeze on a separate Windows platform - it would connect to Slimserver on the Ubuntu machine and run fine.I just checked, when I run SoftSqueeze on Windows towards my Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 with SlimServer 6.5.3 everything works perfectly. However, when I run SoftSqueeze from my Ubuntu Fiesty 7.04 laptop towards the same Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 with SlimServer 6.5.3 it hangs.

The Windows client runs Java 1.6.0_01 while I think the Ubuntu Feisty client runs Java 1.6.0_00 and 1.5.0_11, where the 1.5 version is used by default. I've also runned it with Java 1.5.0_12 on Windows and it works perfectly with that too.

rickwookie
2007-08-08, 10:22
I too am using Ubuntu 7.04 and have not had Softsqueeze working correctly ever since I first tried it on the Feisty beta.

I have disabled all the IPv6 stuff as suggested in another thread and have 'downgraded' to running it on java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.11.

Currently:
Java version: 1.5.0_11
Softsqueeze version: 3.4
Slimserver version: 6.5.3

Will happily play a whole album of mp3s (although there is a stutter at the start of some tracks), but a soon as I click next or previous track, it stops responding. It doesn't hang completely (I can still close it) but none of the remote buttons will work (and it won't respond to commands sent via the web interface) until I relaunch it.

Since this problem has been around since at least the begining of Ubuntu 7.04 (and I've tried different versions of softsqueeze/slimserver/java all with the same result) I'm surprised not more people are having problems with it. I've tried on three different PCs too!

Anyone got any ideas?

rickwookie
2007-08-08, 10:34
One other 'feature' is that if I'm playing say track 8 of an album, then click 'previous track' three times, Softsqueeze will stop responding to buttons (and after a short while stop playing), but when I relaunch it, it will play from track 5 (as though Slimserver got the requests for 'previous track', but then the communication somehow broke down).

Ron F.
2007-08-08, 12:14
Reading this thread, I remember doing two more things that might have helped make it work on my Ubuntu machine:

1. I commented out the normal "127.0.1.1 Ron-ubuntu" line in my /etc/hosts file, and replaced it with "127.0.0.1 localhost Ron-ubuntu" - I put the host name after localhost.

2. I disabled IPv6 - not sure this matters, as I have not reactivated it to be sure. This included commenting out all the ip6 lines in /etc/hosts.

Not that it matters, but I am also using the Java MP3 plugin.

-Ron

Ron F.
2007-08-08, 12:18
SoftSqueeze has been playing continuously for the past 16 hours on my Ubuntu 7.04 machine now, without a hiccup - so it is possible to make it work!

Maybe I am just lucky - as I know very little about Linux.

-Ron

erland
2007-08-08, 22:45
Reading this thread, I remember doing two more things that might have helped make it work on my Ubuntu machine:

1. I commented out the normal "127.0.1.1 Ron-ubuntu" line in my /etc/hosts file, and replaced it with "127.0.0.1 localhost Ron-ubuntu" - I put the host name after localhost.

2. I disabled IPv6 - not sure this matters, as I have not reactivated it to be sure. This included commenting out all the ip6 lines in /etc/hosts.

Not that it matters, but I am also using the Java MP3 plugin.
Thanks for the ideas.
I've tried all this, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

SoftSqueeze has been playing continuously for the past 16 hours on my Ubuntu 7.04 machine now, without a hiccup - so it is possible to make it work!
Just to make sure, you did try to change track manually sometime during these 16 hours ?
It only hangs for me if I change track, if I let the tracks play to the end so SlimServer itself just start to play the next track everything works perfectly in my setup too.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-09, 08:52
It looks like squeezeslave might be a nice, lightweight alternative, and it looks like it might be viable again:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=219925#post219925

if I knew how to apply the patch:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37474

Ron F.
2007-08-09, 11:51
Erland,

Yes, I can change tracks without any problem, at any time. It really does seem to be working fine for me. I will look at my system further to see what might be allowing it to work...

Ok - this is a little weird, when I right-click on the Softsqueeze shortcut icon on my desktop, I get the following command:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.00/jre/bin/javaws -offline /home/ron/.java/deployment/cache/6.0/39/57123927-61d7f7f4

But when I look at the Java Runtime settings in the softsqueeze.jnlp file, what I see is that the Java Runtime Version is 1.5.0_11.

So, I am using a 1.6 version of the Java Web Start application, but a 1.5.0_11 version of the JRE. When Softsqueeze is running, it reports it is indeed using the 1.5.0_11 JRE - I could never get any of the 1.6.* JREs to work with Softsqeeze at all.

-Ron

darthhack
2007-10-17, 17:52
I had all of the symptoms that you described. I fixed it by selecting "Java Sound Audio Engine" as softsqueeze's audio mixer.

Anthony
2007-10-24, 19:36
I just ran into this problem today, exactly as described above. I don't normally listen at the server (Linux), but tonight was an office-cleaning night. I was very frustrated at this, but your suggestion fixed it right away.

Thanks a lot!
Anthony