PDA

View Full Version : A low cost DIY solution to get your analouge signal from source to amp.

zanash
2007-08-06, 02:05
This is a DIY recipe that will build an interconnect cable that will provide an astonishing amount of information from your source to amp or pre amp. These will work equally as well between pre amp and power amp too.

To make a 1m length of this Twisted Pair Cable.

Lets call this cable The ToPiC

Recipe

Materials
4m x 4n silver wire 0.5mm dia [enamelled copper wire or wire wrap can be used too]
4m x ptfe sleeve 0.9mm ID
4 x RCA plug
small lengths of various diameter heat shrink
2 x 1m length [minus1cm] of clear 8mm dia heat shrink [optional]
2m [minimum] thin string or cotton

Method
Cut 5mm from each length of ptfe sleeve, this allows the threaded wire to exit the sleeve.
Thread the silver wire through each sleeve.
Tag both ends of two of the threaded sleeves with 5mm length of heat shrink. This will denote the signal lead for each pair of cables.
Twist a signal and ground pair of wires and sleeves to get a tight spiral, clamp one end to something solid and tie string to the other.
Thread the heat shrink over the string then use the string to pull/keep tight the conductors whilst the shrink sleeve is slid on. You may need to tighten the twists if they slacken off.
Once the heat shrink is in place it can be shrunk, checking that you have allowed about 5mm of ptfe sleeve to show through at each end.
Fit rca plugs at each end. Making certain that you use the tagged ends as the signal and the untagged ends as ground only.

you don't need to use the heat shrink jacket its only there to provide some protection to the delicate twisted wire.

other alternatives ..

use a twisted pair from a set of cat5 cables ..but don't use stranded wire.

The sound ....

if you build from silver I would expect that this cable will sound fast clean natural and neutral. Its bass may sound less pronounced than a similar one made from copper but it should have bass over a larger range. The copper version will sound a little one noted in the bass [as to me all copper cables do] it will also have a warm round rosey plumby presentation ...which once you've heard a good silver ic will be hard to tolerate.

the cost
silver version ...

4m x 4n silver wire 0.5mm dia don't pay more than 4/m
4m x ptfe sleeve 0.9mm ID 2/m
4 x RCA plug 3 each
small lengths of various diameter heat shrink 1
2 x 1m length [minus1cm] of clear 8mm dia heat shrink [optional] 5
2m [minimum] thin string or cotton 0

total 41 tops [but should be about 30]

copper version

4m x copper wire 0.5mm dia don't pay more than 2
4m x ptfe sleeve 0.9mm ID 2/m
4 x RCA plug 3 each
small lengths of various diameter heat shrink 1
2 x 1m length [minus1cm] of clear 8mm dia heat shrink [optional] 5
2m [minimum] thin string or cotton 0

total 28 max [but should be more like 15]

If you can't get the parts or at these prices pm me and I'll see what i can do.

zanash
2007-08-08, 00:52
someone must have a comment ?

no one on here makes there own cables or has any interest ....

jonnywizz
2007-08-09, 14:16
Makes building a system much more interesting and if you haven't got the readies for the high end stuff (ref my Claymore II post in the Audiophile section) then anything more realistically within my reach would be welcomed.
I'll definately be PMing you once I have the basics in place.

zanash
2007-08-09, 23:34
look forward to it !

Wirrunna
2007-08-10, 22:56
Zanash, could you post a link to a supplier of "4m x ptfe sleeve 0.9mm ID". This stuff is not freely available in Australia.
I'm still using the audio cables I made 20 years ago using Mogami OFC microphone cable as described in The Audio Amateur.

zanash
2007-08-12, 01:59
I get mine from www.rswww

also I have a maker contact and waiting for a quote on 100m of the 0.91mm Id ptfe sleeve [colourless]

If you have any issues pm me and I can get it for you at cost plus postage.

Videodrome
2007-08-13, 11:51
someone must have a comment ?

no one on here makes there own cables or has any interest ....

Zanash:

I'm not familiar with the source products in your ICs, so I can't comment. Looks like you came up with a winner.

Just so you know you're not alone in Squeezebox Land, I am a big proponent of DIY cables. I recently built a pair of silver ICs using bulk cable from Parts Connexion with some of their connectors. They sound great and cost around $60 U.S. per meter pair.

Keep up the DIY!

Best,

- VD

zanash
2007-08-14, 00:05
Cheers....

I can get 0.5mm 4n [99.98-99.99% by the time its been drawn] silver on a 25m [50g]spool for about 35 ... no insulation

which on quick inspection is about 1/5th of the cheapest parts connection 18awg [20 awg= 0.5mm dia]...

I'm in the uk so if you want any ....just add your postage