PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server stopping - why?

milosz
2007-08-06, 01:31
I have used Slim Server for months, it has run reliably. Now, it is stopping. It runs for maybe two hours, then stops. Is there a log or soemthing I can read to find out why it's dying?

I did notice this is Windows Event Viewer:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed."

INFO:

PC is AMD Athlon64x2-4800 Windows XP 2 GB RAM, 500 GB hdd (340 GB free space) wired 1 GB ethernet switched network

1 Squeezebox V.1 1 Squeezebox v.2

SlimServer Version: 6.5.3 - 12376 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Server IP address: 192.168.1.3
Perl Version: 5.8.8 MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Siduhe
2007-08-06, 02:04
Do you have any antivirus / internet security software running? It could well be that this has upgraded without your knowledge and is identifying Slimserver as a suspicious process. Seems to be a particular issue with McAfee and Norton, but has been reported with Windows firewall too.

Try adding an exception for *.myi and *.myd files and / or an exception for slim.exe and socketwrapper.exe and see if that helps.

milosz
2007-08-06, 02:52
Already have Windows Firewall exceptions; don't use McAfee or Norton A/V - have CA eTrust

Seems odd it would work for months and then suddenly be attached by the firewall or A/V program.

Review of CA antivirus logs show no realtime or file virus detection activity for at least the past week; so it doesn;t appear that the CA antivirus is doing anything to SlimServer.

I think a key is the Windows Application Log entry that shows the PERL INTERPRETER FAILED at the same time the SlimServer died... as noted in my first post.

Maybe I should just reinstall SlimServer.

bpa
2007-08-06, 03:01
Did you change any plugins recently ?
A while back, there was a memory leak problem with a weather forecast plugin.

Siduhe
2007-08-06, 03:02
The "Perl interpreter failed" message can be caused by a few things, including "always on" security programs. It can also be caused by certain types of jpeg files and by Itunes integration (just two examples). It essentially means "something bad happened" (and I'm quoting one of the developers here) but can be hard to debug because it's a generic fail message. Is there anything in Windows Event Viewer which might give ?

Have you tried this search of the forums to see if anything here looks like it could be your problem?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/search.php?searchid=767268