PDA

View Full Version : Protecting library with NTFS permissions

amcluesent
2007-08-05, 01:50
Now I have consolidated to a single 750Gb disk, I'm thinking about how to protect against rogue programs, operator mistakes deleting the music library. (Obviously also backup in case of h/w failure).

My XP login is a member of Adminstrators, so I can trash anything. I was thinking of creating a 'Librarian' account & Group which would be given exclusive ownership of the directories in the library and setting NTFS permission to allow my account to read files and control a single directory but prevent a recursive deletion over the whole tree. (I appreciate Administrators can force return of ownership, but that's not going to happen by accident).

Anyone done this and got a simple NTFS permission strategy to hand?

JJZolx
2007-08-05, 04:25
Now I have consolidated to a single 750Gb disk, I'm thinking about how to protect against rogue programs, operator mistakes deleting the music library. (Obviously also backup in case of h/w failure).

My XP login is a member of Adminstrators, so I can trash anything. I was thinking of creating a 'Librarian' account & Group which would be given exclusive ownership of the directories in the library and setting NTFS permission to allow my account to read files and control a single directory but prevent a recursive deletion over the whole tree. (I appreciate Administrators can force return of ownership, but that's not going to happen by accident).

Anyone done this and got a simple NTFS permission strategy to hand?

Prevent recursive deletion? Is that possible? Beyond making the directory read-only for everyone except yourself, I'm not sure what else you can do permission-wise.

If you have a good backup strategy, I would think that's all you really need to cover accidents. I've accidentally deleted a folder or two in my music library. When that happens I just go grab a copy from the latest backup.