PDA

View Full Version : White Noise - 2 devices did the same thing

svtcontour
2007-08-03, 19:59
Hi all,

I have two squeezebox 3 players which were purchased at around the same time from two different vendors about 8 months ago. Both have been great but a few days ago I went to my main listening room and turned on the squeezebox and tried to listen to music and was greeted by the loudest blast of hiss I've ever heard. Thought i was going to die and my speakers going to die with me.... I tried switching songs, raising/lowering volume with no results. I tried playing FLAC instead of MP3 but no change. The only way I was able to resolve it was to do a full reset by holding the power button.

Today I went to my second Squeezebox which is in the main floor and tried to listen and was greeted by the same thing. This was the first time I had tried using this unit since I was blasted by hiss upstairs. I had used this a couple weeks ago and it was fine.

So I believe what triggered the hiss on the first, did the same on the second. I mean what are the chances of two different units blasting me with super loud hiss which they have never done. Does anything get pushed to these units automatically via software (like firmware updates or anything)?

I know this problem exists for others and from what I understand, there is no solution as of yet :( Wonder if everyone who gets static is on wireless or not. I'm using a dlink wireless.

Anyway here is a poor quality video of the downstairs one. Sorry about the big download but hopefully it will stream for you guys.

http://powerthings.com/video/blast.wmv

svtcontour
2007-08-03, 20:10
Checked and both units are firmware version 64 and server is 6.5.0 - 9916

...if that helps anyone. I tried restarting the slimserver service but that didnt seem to help with the static issue. Not like I'd be pioneering something by thinking of doing that.

Patrick Dixon
2007-08-04, 00:57
Re-program the Xilinx chip by pressing and holding '1' and recycling the power on the SB3.

It's possible a power glitch corrupted the chips, which may explain the two happening at the same time.

svtcontour
2007-08-04, 09:47
Thanks Patrick, that did do it. A power glitch might explain that actually. Never thought about that. I have a 200va UPS that is doing nothing, maybe I'll put one of them on that and see how it goes - on my more expensive setup at least :)

Re-program the Xilinx chip by pressing and holding '1' and recycling the power on the SB3.

It's possible a power glitch corrupted the chips, which may explain the two happening at the same time.