PDA

View Full Version : New router blocking squeezebox

Gibbo
2007-08-02, 10:33
Hello,

Had my squeezebox working for a while, now got a new router as have switched form DSL to cable. My squeezebox can access SN through the router, but just times out when I try to access SS? the windows firewall is obviously the same as before, allows through stuff to 9000 and 3483, in the router I hava mac address filtering, but that is obviously fine as it can access SN, I have WPA but again must be fine as SN is accessable, so can only be the router firewall? to be honest I can't find how to turn the firewall off, its a linksys router, in port range forwarding I have forwarded 9000 and 3483 to the computers ip, is this right to do? can't think of what else i'm missin? any help would be great!

Robster
2007-08-02, 10:57
Hi

Same kind of problem as you. Had an SB3 working fine with a Linksys router and Virgin cable, now have moved house and have Sky BB with a Netgear DG834GT Router.
My old SB3 connects and plays fine wirelessly. My new Logitech branded SB3 which arrived today will not connect, settings are same and i'm using 128bit wep. Wired it works okay but not wireless. SS version 6.3.1 - 8468

Got same problem with my laptop, will not connect to the new router.
Doesn't make sense, any ideas? Anything different inside the Logitech ?

thanks
R

snarlydwarf
2007-08-02, 10:57
Port forwarding should be unneeded, and may in fact confuse things.

It is designed so that "A-Host-On-The-Internet" can connect to "A-Specific-Host-On-Your-LAN"... It should do nothing for LAN-LAN connections.

Other than setting your WPA passkey and your SSID, most consumer routers should take no configuration.

Gibbo
2007-08-02, 11:04
Well I've now turned off the port forwarding items I had input and still, access to SN but not SS?

Any ideas?

Gibbo
2007-08-02, 11:21
In "advanced routing" the operating mode is set to gateway, what does this mean out of interest? if I change it to router, then I lose access to the internet.

to be honest, don't know if this has anything to do with anything.

snarlydwarf
2007-08-02, 11:37
The choices are gateway and router? That is an odd selection.

A Gateway is a "where packets that are not local to this network should be sent". Also called a "default route"...

A router is "a device that knows how to get to 2 or more networks and makes decisions on where to send packets based on its knowlede of those networks."

In most cases, the gateway -is- a router... what good is passing packets onto a supposedly more net-knowledgeable machine if it doesn't know what to do with them...

What model router is this?

Gibbo
2007-08-02, 12:01
Its a linksys WRT54GS

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/63763

Gibbo
2007-08-02, 12:03
from the router settings

"Operating Mode: If the router is hosting your Internet connection, select Gateway mode. If another router exists on your network, select Router mode.

any ideas on why my SB can't connect to SS?

bpa
2007-08-02, 12:35
Basic Question - Is slimserver actually running - can you get the SS web page ?

Do you have any other security s/w installed besides Windows firewall ?

Gibbo
2007-08-02, 12:43
bpa your a genius! thank you for asking the right question! just realised when I'd set it up first time i'd just told the f-secure firewall to allow all traffic from the SB ip address, the ip address has now changed given the new router, and had forgotten to tell F-secure that.

all sorted now. cheers folks for the help.

Robster
2007-08-02, 14:51
Sorted mine too, under wireless settings there was another box, I had to add each wireless device in there manually with thier MAC's. strange, as i never added my 1st SB3 but it was there.........

R

snarlydwarf
2007-08-02, 15:05
Sorted mine too, under wireless settings there was another box, I had to add each wireless device in there manually with thier MAC's. strange, as i never added my 1st SB3 but it was there.........

R

Sounds like you turned on MAC authentication at some point? It probably autofilled in "things I see right now" when you turned it on.

BigBirdy
2007-08-02, 15:28
Could you please explain more and possibly how to fix this. I am
absolutely ignorant about Mac's. I understand what MAC authentication
is, but where would this be set/used?

snarlydwarf wrote:
> Robster;218716 Wrote:
>
>> Sorted mine too, under wireless settings there was another box, I had
>> to add each wireless device in there manually with thier MAC's.
>> strange, as i never added my 1st SB3 but it was there.........
>>
>> R
>>
>
> Sounds like you turned on MAC authentication at some point? It
> probably autofilled in "things I see right now" when you turned it on.
>
>
>

--
*Johnny Stork*
Business & Technology Consultant
stork (AT) openenterprise (DOT) ca

snarlydwarf
2007-08-02, 16:14
MAC as in Media Access Control, not the PC made by Apple.

One of the "layers" of Wireless security is to tell the router or access point, "only talk to these machines," identified by MAC address. It isn't much of a security measure since it is trivial to change the MAC address of a machine...

That said, it is probably under Security Settings on your router, something like, "Only allow these clients to connect" or something.

You can leave it on if your network is pretty constant (just remember to add new clients to that list when a friend brings over his laptop), or turn it off if it gets to be annoying: the security it gives is pretty minimal.