PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer security?

Billop
2007-08-01, 18:57
I see, in the "Security" settings, that you can enable password protection for the web interface.

Can you do something similar for the audio (i.e. what Squeezebox connects over)?

Or am I misunderstanding - perhaps the Squeezebox <i>does</i> connect over the web interface?

pfarrell
2007-08-01, 19:13
Billop wrote:
> Can you do something similar for the audio (i.e. what Squeezebox
> connects over)?

> Or am I misunderstanding - perhaps the Squeezebox <i>does</i> connect
> over the web interface?

The SqueezeBox connects to the SlimServer.
It has nothing to do with the web interface.

Your browser can connect using the Web Interface to the SlimServer. It
really never connects to the SqueezeBox either.

HTH

Billop
2007-08-01, 19:16
I am asking if there's a way to set up password protection for the Squeezebox itself to access the server.

JJZolx
2007-08-01, 20:33
I am asking if there's a way to set up password protection for the Squeezebox itself to access the server.

No.

~

erland
2007-08-01, 21:30
I am asking if there's a way to set up password protection for the Squeezebox itself to access the server.Are you asking this because you like to have SqueezeBox and SlimServer in totally different places and let them communicate over an insecure network ?
For example SqueezeBox at work and SlimServer at home.

If this is the case, the recommended way is to setup a SSH tunnel between the different places.

For example:
1. At Home
- A computer with SlimServer
- On the computer you have installed a SSH server
- You open up the SSH port in an firewall but not the SlimServer ports

2. At Work
- A computer, which runs a SSH client that connects to the SSH server at home. When connecting you configure it to tunnel the necessary ports, 9000 for the web interface and another port for the SqueezeBox communication(I don't remember the exact port).
- The SqueezeBox which you at startup chooses to connect to the local computer at work. The connection will be established through the SSH tunnel to the SlimServer instance running at home.
- If you use SoftSqueeze only at the remote connection, you don't need the SSH client on the computer since it can use SSH directly.

I would be extremely careful to expose SlimServer to an insecure network. Most people that does this has either configured the SSH tunnel approach described above or have a firewall that protects the SlimServer and only allow access from specific IP addresses/ranges.

Billop
2007-08-02, 06:34
Are you asking this because you like to have SqueezeBox and SlimServer in totally different places and let them communicate over an insecure network ?
For example SqueezeBox at work and SlimServer at home.

Yes.

If this is the case, the recommended way is to setup a SSH tunnel between the different places.

Thanks!