PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Through Windows XP ICS

ShutterShock
2007-08-01, 15:17
I'm setting up an ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) server on the same PC that will have Slim Server. It's running XP.

I've never done this before and I'm wondering what problems (if any) I'll have from a client perspective. By that I mean, once I have the ICS server up and running, will Squeezebox automatically be given an IP address from the ICS? From the instructions I've read on the web, it sounds like I have to run a setup on every ICS client to explicitly tell the client (in this case Sqeezebox) that it's connecting to the internet through another computer -- that being the ICS computer. Please see below.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/clientwiz.htm

Any help on this would be appreciated.

brucegrr
2007-08-01, 16:36
Is there any reason you don't want to use a router?

A router would make setting things up much easier (IMO)and would still give you the same result (a shared Internet connetction

ShutterShock
2007-08-01, 17:02
Would prefer to use a router but in this case the internet access is through shared Wi-Fi with a neighbor.

Specifically, we have a D-Link wireless adapter in a computer's PCI slot. It's been stand-alone up to this point but now we're putting in a LAN and want to share internet access throughout the LAN. Coinciding with this is the addition of a Squeezebox and Slim Server. If there's a way of doing this with a router, I'm certainly interested.

jwcurtin
2007-08-02, 01:10
Would prefer to use a router but in this case the internet access is through shared Wi-Fi with a neighbor.

Well, unless you trust your neighbor more than you trust yourself I'd want security nailed down tight.

Specifically, we have a D-Link wireless adapter in a computer's PCI slot. It's been stand-alone up to this point but now we're putting in a LAN and want to share internet access throughout the LAN. Coinciding with this is the addition of a Squeezebox and Slim Server. If there's a way of doing this with a router, I'm certainly interested.

The only shared access that I've had to do which involved different networks involved family members, which was a little less fraught.

I'd probably put in a wireless access point, configured as a bridge, to bring the wireless signal into your premises.

Plug that into the WAN port of a WiFi/Switch/Router/Firewall box, and run your own WiFi network on a different channel, channels 1, 6 & 11 don't overlap each other, so will give you better performance.

Of course, if you can run a cable to each of your own PCs and the Squeezebox you don't need to run your own WiFi, just bridge to the internet connection.

Hope that helps,

John

jwcurtin
2007-08-02, 02:44
I'd probably put in a wireless access point, configured as a bridge, to bring the wireless signal into your premises.

D'Oh!!! Of course you could also use the Squeezebox to do this, and plug it into a network switch and cable to your PCs.

John

ShutterShock
2007-08-02, 05:48
Thanks for everyone who chimed in with suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't have the flexibility to change the configuration as I originally described it. It's not actually my installation. I'm doing it for a relative on a very tight budget and they insist on not changing what the already have. Selling them on the idea of Squeezebox was a major effort. So, the configuration I originally described is what I'm stuck with despite the excellent suggestions in this thread.

With that in mind, when I plug Squeezebox into and ICS PC (which will also be running Slim Server), will the ICS box grant Squeezebox an IP address, thereby giving it access to Slim Server? I'm thinking yes, in light of the fact that when ICS is activated a DHCP server is created as well. Put another way, when Squeezebox is initially connected, it should 'look like' its connecting to a router. Again, any thoughts appreciated.

Mark Lanctot
2007-08-02, 08:19
With that in mind, when I plug Squeezebox into and ICS PC (which will also be running Slim Server), will the ICS box grant Squeezebox an IP address, thereby giving it access to Slim Server? I'm thinking yes, in light of the fact that when ICS is activated a DHCP server is created as well. Put another way, when Squeezebox is initially connected, it should 'look like' its connecting to a router. Again, any thoughts appreciated.

You might have to enable a separate DHCP server. But static IP addresses are so much easier, is there any reason you need DHCP here?

ShutterShock
2007-08-02, 08:57
Ideally I want the plug 'n play approach. In fact, I guess that's what my original question is (I'm probably making the explanation way too complicated. Sorry about that).

Put simply, with Slim Server on an XP machine which is also running ICS, will Squeezebox have any issues 'finding' Slim Server?

The LAN where Squeezebox and Slim Server/ICS are connected is all wired. The only wireless part is the link from the ICS/Slim Server computer to the neighbor's Wi-Fi. That wireless link is how the internet is delivered to the LAN where Squeezebox, Slim Server/ICS are located.

Hope this is making sense.