PDA

View Full Version : Where's SlimServer Installed (Debian)

Jam
2007-07-31, 13:48
Probably a really dumb question, but I'm new to SlimServer and Linux.

Where is my SlimServer install directory? I've installed the Debian package onto a Debian box.

I want to install AlienBBC and the instructions state to un-tar it into the main slimserver directory. "This is usually: /usr/local/slimserver"

I don't have this dir. I also can't find slimserver.pl anywhere on the system.

I do have a /usr/share/slimserver directory which contains (among other things) a HTML folder which I think is for web interface skins. But no slimserver.pl which I understood to be the main SlimServer program/scipt?

mlsstl
2007-07-31, 14:10
At a terminal window, try typing "whereis slimserver" (without quote marks) and see what it tells you. Are you sure your install process was successful?

Jam
2007-07-31, 14:15
It returns:
slimserver: /usr/sbin/slimserver /etc/slimserver /usr/share/slimserver

There isn't a slimserver.pl in any of those?

Install definately correct, I'm streaming my library to softsqueeze.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-31, 14:19
I don't know if Debian uses Synaptic - Ubuntu (a Debian derivative) does. Locate the package using Search or by browsing through the filters on the bottom right.

Right-click - Properties - Installed Files.

But mlsstl's suggestion of "whereis" is much quicker.

snarlydwarf
2007-07-31, 14:28
Where is my SlimServer install directory? I've installed the Debian package onto a Debian box.

There are lots of install directories... so that term is kind of meaningless.

I want to install AlienBBC and the instructions state to un-tar it into the main slimserver directory. "This is usually: /usr/local/slimserver"

The Plugins directory on Debian is /usr/share/slimserver/Plugins/, so they probably mean /usr/share/slimserver.

I don't have this dir. I also can't find slimserver.pl anywhere on the system.

It isn't .pl. It is just slimserver. It is in /usr/sbin.

I do have a /usr/share/slimserver directory which contains (among other things) a HTML folder which I think is for web interface skins. But no slimserver.pl which I understood to be the main SlimServer program/scipt?

Yes, but do not dump stuff in /usr/sbin. There are standards for where things go, hence why there is no single install directory: some things are perl modules (which generally go with Perl), configs go in /etc, and logs go in /var/log... The directory you must likely want is /usr/share/slimserver. It should be where the Plugins go.

Unix doesn't need "extensions" like .pl to determine something is in perl. The "#!/usr/bin/perl" on the first line handles that.

"dpkg -L slimserver" will list where all the files that make up the slimserver package are. You will see what I mean about no single install directory.

Jam
2007-07-31, 14:34
Brilliant, thanks for your help all.

I'll try it in /usr/share/slimserver

dborn
2007-07-31, 14:42
Well, I have it installed on a Debian machine and it is called slimserver.pl for me...

Try this:
As user "root", type the following:

find / -name "slimserver.pl" -print 2>/dev/null

If it doesn't show up with that, you don't have it! ;)

Good luck,
Daniel

snarlydwarf
2007-07-31, 14:58
Well, I have it installed on a Debian machine and it is called slimserver.pl for me...

You didn't use the SlimDevices-made .deb then.

[gimli:~] 2:58:06pm 59 % dpkg -L slimserver | grep slimserver.pl
[gimli:~] 2:58:10pm 60 % dpkg -L slimserver | grep /usr/sbin
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/slimserver
/usr/sbin/slimserver-scanner
/usr/sbin/slimserver_safe