PDA

View Full Version : Best Cell Phone Remote??

jmstipe
2007-07-31, 12:46
Hello
In the very near future I am going to purchase a new cell phone. I would like to be able to use this phone as a remote for my SB.

What cell phone(s) works best in this capacity? What are some recommendations - or some phones to avoid?

Thanks!

ddewey
2007-07-31, 12:55
Quoting jmstipe (jmstipe.2ulphb1185911401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Hello
> In the very near future I am going to purchase a new cell phone. I
> would like to be able to use this phone as a remote for my SB.
>
> What cell phone(s) works best in this capacity? What are some
> recommendations - or some phones to avoid?

iPhone with Nokia 770 skin == awesomeness

Motorola Q (my previous phone) sucked as a SS remote. I tried
several ways to get this to work, using SlimRemote, web interface,
nothing was satisfactory. Nice little phone otherwise though.

mherger
2007-07-31, 13:00
> What cell phone(s) works best in this capacity? What are some
> recommendations - or some phones to avoid?

I'm using a Nokia E65 with the handheld skin. This is a small mobile phone, not a touchpad based smartphone, but the browser is great.

Michael

bklaas
2007-07-31, 13:27
e phones to avoid?[/color]

iPhone with Nokia 770 skin == awesomeness

I'm very interested in this comment...

I just got to see mvalera's iPhone yesterday with Nokia770, and some of the Nokia770 CSS somewhat ruined the user experience (although I could see the "awesomeness" at the end of the tunnel). I'm curious if you're seeing those issues-- specifically the footer bar not being fixed at the bottom, and pages that required scrolling being empty when you tried to scroll.

We also tried Touch skin on the iPhone, which has some CSS hacks in it to make it more IE friendly. The behavior was different, but not acceptable.

So, if the iPhone + Nokia770 skin combo is working perfectly for you, would you mind sharing what version slimserver you are using?

cheers,
#!/ben

ddewey
2007-07-31, 14:25
Quoting bklaas (bklaas.2ulrbz1185913801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Dave Dewey;218180 Wrote:
> > e phones to avoid?
> >
> > iPhone with Nokia 770 skin == awesomeness
> >
> >
>
> I'm very interested in this comment...
>
> I just got to see mvalera's iPhone yesterday with Nokia770, and some of
> the Nokia770 CSS somewhat ruined the user experience (although I could
> see the "awesomeness" at the end of the tunnel). I'm curious if you're
> seeing those issues-- specifically the footer bar not being fixed at
> the bottom,[/color]

Yes, I have seen that, but didn't think it's a big deal. It doesn't
always happen, but haven't paid close enough attention to be able to
tell you under what conditions the bug appears. I'll try to pay
closer attention.

> and pages that required scrolling being empty when you
> tried to scroll.

Haven't seen that one that I recall.

> So, if the iPhone + Nokia770 skin combo is working perfectly for you,
> would you mind sharing what version slimserver you are using?

Doesn't have to be perfect to be awesome, Ben.

Running 6.5.2 - 11854 right now, from the rpm named
slimserver-2007_04_29-1.

--
http://www.last.fm/user/ddewey

egd
2007-07-31, 14:29
I'm using a Nokia E65 with the handheld skin. This is a small mobile phone, not a touchpad based smartphone, but the browser is great.

I have the same phone and assumed that it would struggle as a remote so I'm glad to hear this is not the case. My battery oftern doesn't last more than 12 hours before needing a recharge - how is the battery life with wireless enabled?

jmstipe
2007-07-31, 14:35
I'm not sure that we get the Nokia E65 in Canada... and the iPhone isn't out here yet either.

Any other suggestions? Nokia is still sounding like a good one to look at? How about Motorola?

mvalera
2007-07-31, 15:14
I don't think you can beat Safari on the iPhone.

Mike

4mula1
2007-07-31, 16:11
The Nokia N95 does well with the handheld skin, especially with the screen rotated 90 degrees. It's a little awkward at first, but you get used to using the handset sideways.

Great phone, BTW.

simbo
2007-08-01, 10:54
You might want to look at Salling Clicker (http://www.salling.com) - it allows you to control a number of applications using a range of cell phones. Scripts exist to control both Mac and PC* versions of SlimServer.

*I wrote this script so yes, this is a shameless plug.

Ross L
2007-08-01, 12:02
I'm happy with the PPC-6700 from sprint (aka UTstarcom PDA6700) with the handheld skin, works great!

mherger
2007-08-01, 12:10
> I have the same phone and assumed that it would struggle as a remote so
> I'm glad to hear this is not the case.

Its browser is much better than I expected. I planned to get Opera instead, but now that I've been using it for a while, I don't see a reason to do so. It's based on webkit - the foundation of Safari. Navigation is well done, with the cursor jumping from one link/buttons to the next without having to scroll too much around. Using the Handheld skin is pretty fast.

> My battery oftern doesn't last
> more than 12 hours before needing a recharge - how is the battery life
> with wireless enabled?

I don't have wireless on all the time. But 12h is very little. I get around 48h with occasional WLAN usage (mail, browser). That's still very little, though :-(

Michael

rbryant
2007-08-29, 11:45
The Nokia N95 does well with the handheld skin, especially with the screen rotated 90 degrees. It's a little awkward at first, but you get used to using the handset sideways.

Great phone, BTW.

OK, any clues as to how? I am probably being dense but cannot figure out how to do this (have a PC, a Squeezebox, a wireless network and a Nokia N95) ... tried the IP address in the browser, tried Salling Clicker, any clues? Thanks

MikeFish
2007-08-29, 12:57
OK, any clues as to how? I am probably being dense but cannot figure out how to do this (have a PC, a Squeezebox, a wireless network and a Nokia N95) ... tried the IP address in the browser, tried Salling Clicker, any clues? Thanks

Open the web browser, connect to WLAN, type in the ip address of your server i.e http://192.168.0.5 followed by :9000/nokia770

http://<ip adress of your server>:9000/nokia770

I originally typed in the name of the computer the server is on but this doesn't work, you need to type in the actual ip address.

4mula1
2007-08-29, 16:01

As MikeFish said, http://<server_ip_address>:9000/Handheld if you want the Handheld skin. It fits the N95 screen better than the Nokia770 skin.

rdb001
2007-11-10, 16:46
Can you run it on the iphone?