PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770

jblotz
2007-07-30, 13:57
I would like some opinions on using the Nokia 770 with the skin to control slimserver. How well does it work? Is it painfully slow? What will the screen show?

I have tried sailing clicker on a sony pda with wifi. Didn't like it. It doesn't sound like much is happening with the Nintendo DS lite. What's the PSP like? Is it better? Should I wait for some Logitech device?

The reviews I have read on the N770 are pretty crappy. I don't want to use it as a laptop replacement - slimserver only. Will I be happy with it for $130.00US?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Zten
2007-07-30, 14:07
when I'm in eye-shot of the SB, I prefer to use the IR remote, but when I am outside, listening to tunes on my back patio, the N770 definitley does the job. For some reason I still have not figured out, it works slower on some skins than on others. When using the default skin, its not too bad, with my music reacting about 0.5 seconds after I click a button. I got it for $130 from Buy.com and have been happy (although not thrilled) I got it.

adamslim
2007-07-30, 14:25
I'm really pleased with mine. It's much better to browse on than the remote (the limited SB screen is a pain for me - not enough characters and/or I have to squint!). Plus it's great for just browsing the internet - the wife likes it so much we might get another!

It used to sell for 250 in the UK ($500), and at that price the reviews are justified, but IMO at $130 you really can't go wrong.

Adam

bklaas
2007-07-30, 16:46
One of my good friends from college used this statement to describe a date he'd gone on: "well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that". I kind of think the Nokia experience is similar.

It offers some really nice improvements over using the IR remote (list browsing and cover art are prime examples), but in some other cases (having to wait to connect to wifi, browser delays) it doesn't make the cut.

The Nokia tablet is pretty whiz bang cool for some other things though too, so don't discount that. I really love using mine for a personal media player on flights.

Also, Canola is fantastic for streaming media directly to the tablet.

cheers,
#!/ben

oreillymj
2007-07-31, 01:22
I have the N800. Having never used or seen an N770, I can't say how much faster the newer device is.

Ben's skin is excellent. There are a couple of minor improvements that would be nice, but it does an excellent job.

The main problem with using the Nxxx as a remote replacement is the need to leave it on for an extended period so that it's available when required.
Whereas the Slim Remote is an always-on, instant device, the startup time of the Nokia is about 1 minute with another minute required to start the browser, load the home page. none of this is anything Ben can "fix"

Outside of use as a remote replacement, the web browser is nice. I haven't used it for Skype or Google talk. Canola looks nice also.

There's lots of other Linux derived freeware, but installation can be difficult for a non Linux expert. I've tried to install several apps that have failed due to a library being missing, with no mention of how to get/install the required file.

However the OS does provide an interface for installing apps that have been officially "blessed" by Nokia.

markwm
2007-07-31, 02:26
The main problem with using the Nxxx as a remote replacement is the need to leave it on for an extended period so that it's available when required.
Whereas the Slim Remote is an always-on, instant device, the startup time of the Nokia is about 1 minute with another minute required to start the browser, load the home page.

This is why I use a PDA and have it not sleep. I use a Loox 720 and you can buy docks for about $20.

jblotz
2007-08-08, 14:06
I picked up a N770 for $130 from Buy.com. No charge for shipping and it arrived 3 - 4 days sooner than expected. It has the 2006OS, so I have not tried to update anything. I probably won't.

I have played with it for a few days and I really, really like surfing with it. The web experience is better than I expected. I would like to be able to use youtube but I knew it wasn't capable of that before I bought it. Ben's skin is really slick and again, quicker than I expected. I can't get the brouse album art to work. Any suggestions?

Has anyone had problems turning the N770 on? The power button doesn't want to work sometimes. Is mine defective or is this the nature of the beast? I suspect it's a software thing because I have never had trouble turning it off.

Can anyone point me to step by step instructions to stream music to the N770? I was hoping I could access my slimserver music.

snarlydwarf
2007-08-08, 14:15
The power button got me until I read the docs...

You need to hold it on for a couple seconds for it to recognize it as a button press instead of an oops.

Turning it off isn't as picky (sort of): a short button press brings up the menu for various things (key/screen lock, PIN lock, Offline mode, or really off) and a longer button press turns it off without the question.

bklaas
2007-08-08, 14:19
Can anyone point me to step by step instructions to stream music to the N770? I was hoping I could access my slimserver music.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimserverAndNokia770

the long buffer using slimserver's stream.mp3 is a bit of a usability issue though.

If you want responsive streaming to your 770, install Canola on the 770 and a UPnP server on your PC. I think you'll find that a better solution for streaming directly to the Nokia.

cheers,
#!/ben

jblotz
2007-08-08, 14:31
Thanks for the replies!

I forgot to mention that I'm quite happy with the battery life too. Another surprise!

It's disappointing that Nokia decided to dump all support for a device that's still available on the market new. Their web site stinks!

bklaas
2007-08-08, 14:42
It's disappointing that Nokia decided to dump all support for a device that's still available on the market new. Their web site stinks!

the Nokia site shouldn't be your default for 770 stuff. I recommend:
http://maemo.org
http://internettablettalk.com

snarlydwarf
2007-08-08, 15:14
I forgot to mention that I'm quite happy with the battery life too. Another surprise!

As long as you turn off the wifi and aren't playing movies the battery lasts plenty long. I wish it used one size bigger charger so I would have a spare (or even better, would charge via USB), but other than that, it is great.

Well, the 770 is end-of-life, the current prices are to clear out warehouses (which is odd: since for a long time it was really hard to get ahold of ... they never seemed to have any in stock).

It is not only a great remote for Slimserver, I carry it for an emergency ssh host in case I need to log in to fix something at work. Between the various free international Wifi providers, I should be able to get online anywhere. ("Default", "Linksys" and "Buffalo" are all great free wifi ISP's here :P)

jblotz
2007-08-08, 15:37
Hah! You can get on linksys in front of my house! I haven't figured out how the security stuff works. There are tons of unsecured routers in my hood.

I realize the device is "end of life." I'm satisfied with what I got for $130US. I'm not sure I would have been as happy for $300.