PDA

View Full Version : Network range problem

jdk
2007-07-30, 05:53
Forgive me if this is a common problem, but I have searched and not managed to find anything. It's difficult to know what to search for in this case.

I recently changed the router on my home network, and found that I could not connect my Squeezebox to the router using a wired connection. Wireless, it works fine. I tried all manner of troubleshooting, but no solution.

Then I found the following thread in a forum:
http://www.filesaveas.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1167302605/2

This suggests that the Squeezebox has a firmware bug preventing it recognizing a network range *.*.1.* when plugged directly into the router. Sure enough, my new router is operating in a network range *.*.1.*. My old network was *.*.0.*.

I have not yet tried changing the network range on my router because I'd rather not break the network for now, having just given all PCs and printers a fixed *.*.1.* address... So I'd just like to know if:
(a) this is a known issue, and (b) if it has been fixed in any recent version of the firmware. I can't find a reference to it in the changelog. I am still using v6.3.1 because it works without any issues (up to now).

mherger
2007-07-30, 06:06
> I have not yet tried changing the network range on my router because
> I'd rather not break the network for now, having just given all PCs and
> printers a fixed *.*.1.* address... So I'd just like to know if:
> (a) this is a known issue, and (b) if it has been fixed in any recent
> version of the firmware.

I've never heard of this issue. I guess you'll have to do the change... You don't have to change all computers, just the one you're using to configure your router and your router. You'll know afterwards.

Michael

jdk
2007-07-30, 07:38
Michael -- thanks for the response. I changed my router to the *.*.0.* range, and it didn't solve the problem. Should have tried that before posting, i guess...

It's very odd. I go through the set-up for a wired network, it all goes smoothly, the Squeezebox goes looking for my Slimserver, it finds it, it tries to connect to it -- and the screen goes black. Every time.

Wireless, as I said before, works just fine. Any advice appreciated.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-30, 08:50
It should work fine with an XXX.XXX.1.XXX subnet, and mine do.

Try connecting to SqueezeNetwork with it wired. If you can connect to SqueezeNetwork, there's some issue with the router or the SlimServer PC.

Patrick Dixon
2007-07-30, 09:01
My router is on 192.168.1.1 and I've never had any problems wired or wireless.

jdk
2007-07-30, 15:12
Just to draw this to a conclusion, I think it's just some bizarre conflict between the Squeezebox and the router. The Squeezebox will connect fine wirelessly. It will also connect wired to other hubs on the network. It just won't connect directly to the built-in switch on my router.

Just one of those things that happen in Computerland, I guess. Thanks all for the replies.

IvanSlade
2007-07-30, 16:28
Are you using a RJ45 Cross over cable?

jdk
2007-07-30, 17:51
Are you using a RJ45 Cross over cable?

No, although in desperation I did try a crossover cable at one stage. I don't know why.

Paul Webster
2007-07-31, 02:59
Maybe there is a problem with auto speed sensing on the router.