PDA

View Full Version : slimcd not handling scan well

schatzy
2007-07-29, 18:03
After scanning results are not correct.

I have installed slimcd to a 4Gb USB Pen Drive and have it attached it a Nano ITX box configured as follows:

Via 1Ghz Processor
1 Gig RAM
1 Gig CF Drive Card as hda1(not normally mounted)
4 Gig USB Pen Drive as sda1/sda2 (slimcd on sda1/ backup files on sda2)
500 Gig western Digital MyBook (FAT32)(music files)

The problem i am having is that this system does not come up with the correct number of songs, artists or albums.

The scan stops after a couple of hours and registers:
6076 Albums - 41817 Songs - 2943 Artists
After Rescan "look for new or changed files" (2-3 Hours)
7153 Albums - 44354 Songs - 3262 Artists
After Rescan "look for new or changed files" (another 2-3 Hours)
7508 Albums - 49005 Songs - 3318 Artists
7531 Albums - 49643 Songs - 3322 Artists
7641 Albums - 51059 Songs - 3617 Artists
7698 Albums - 54884 Songs - 0 Artists

I have run this same scan/rescan 3 times over the past weeks to try and get it to wokr properly with no luck. Every time it hits the final scan and ends up with 54884 Songs it looses all the artists.

I know that the final number of songs should be 54884 because that is how many MP#3 files there are on the MyBook. I know this as i have connceted it to 3 windows machines and searched the drive for mp3 fiels and each time it results in 54884mp3 files.

I have also set up slimserver on two windows machines and run scans. each scan came up with the same number of songs (54884)and 7698 Albums / 3367 Artists. One windows system ran the scan twice all the way thru with out stopping the other windows system stopped three time and needed a rescan "look for new or changed music" but completed with the same numbers

On the slimcd box the one time i did a rescan after the correct number of songs showed and the artists were zero (0) it added the songs twice, once with out an artist and once with an artist.

I want to be able to run a version of Linux on my Nano ITX box because it is fan less and thus noiseless. The MyBook drive is also very very quiet.

If anyone can tell me or give me an idea of what is happening it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh by the way no squeezesoft running or sqeezeboxes running during scans just to be on the safe side.

mherger
2007-07-30, 03:10
> After scanning results are not correct.

Are you using the latest SlimServer? There's an update script available on the SlimCD which will do this for you. Please verify, if you see the same problems with the latest version.

If you still see them, we'll have to turn on some debugging to know what's going on. This can become a problem (or at least a big task...) with your large collection. The log file might grow largely. If your free disk space is becoming low, shut down slimserver.

To turn on the logging, go to Server Settings/Debugging and turn on d_info and d_scan. Watch the log file (/tmp/slimserver.log or similar) for failures when reading files. Do you see anything?

If you have playlists in your music folder, try moving them elsewhere. Make sure they don't contain inexistent filepaths.

One other thing to look at: SlimCD comes with a lot of plugins preinstalled, which you probably won't need at all. Do remove these plugins, too, before rescanning, as some of them do their own magic during scans (LazySearch, CustomBrowse etc.). Try to get started with a lean installation. Once everything's fine you can still add back the plugins you want.

Michael

schatzy
2007-07-30, 06:42
Thanks for the quick reply.

>Are you using the latest SlimServer?

I had updated slimserver Just after i first downloaded slimcd a week ago.

>If you have playlists in your music folder, try moving them elsewhere. Make sure they don't contain inexistent filepaths.

No Playlists

>SlimCD comes with a lot of plugins preinstalled, which you probably won't need at all. Do remove these plugins

By remove do you mean to erase the folders and files for them or just turn them off in the server settings. The only plugins I will need are IRBlaster (to turn on and off other equipment), Super Date & Time (just because i like the weather part), and the analog vu meters screen saver (just because i am an old time audiophile). All other pluging are not going to be used.

I will turn on debugging and see if that shows any abnormalities.

It will take a while to get thu another scan as the first scan usually take 7-8 hours before returning results and my full time job gets in the way of playing with this new equipment.

I will post my finding when i have them.

Thanks agian

mherger
2007-07-30, 06:59
> No Playlists

Double-check, just to be sure :)

>> SlimCD comes with a lot of plugins preinstalled, which you probably
> won't need at all. Do remove these plugins
>
> By remove do you mean to erase the folders and files for them or just
> turn them off in the server settings.

Remove the folders (or move them to a safe place).

> IRBlaster (to turn on and off other equipment), Super Date & Time (just
> because i like the weather part), and the analog vu meters screen saver
> (just because i am an old time audiophile). All other pluging are not
> going to be used.

But please don't remove the default plugins like iTunes, MusicMagic, CLI etc.

Michael

schatzy
2007-07-30, 09:13
Just ran home from work and tried to delete or move the Custom Browse, Custom Search and some other plugins and was not able to do so.

I am new to linux but i tried to delete from Midnight Commander and also thru a shell window via "sudo rmdir CustomBrowse" it kept coming back that it could not do it because they are read only.

Is there another command that i need to use.

So i disabled all and i mean all of the plugins in the slimserver settings menu.

Question about some of the plugins you stated to leave such as iTunes, MusicMagic, CLI. I can understand the CLI but I don't and will not use iTunes because it will never be installed on this machine. And as for MusicMagic, i do not use any type of rating system and really do not care about rating systems as i like all types of music. Is there a real reason to leave these there if they are only taking up resources? Does it really impact the way slimserver works?

mherger
2007-07-31, 01:40
> I am new to linux but i tried to delete from Midnight Commander and
> also thru a shell window via "sudo rmdir CustomBrowse" it kept coming
> back that it could not do it because they are read only.

You can't remove a folder which isn't empty. "sudo rm -rf CustomBrowse" would do the trick, removing all files and subfolders, too.

> Question about some of the plugins you stated to leave such as iTunes,
> MusicMagic, CLI.

I think you could even remove these. On one of my machines I do remove some of the unused plugins, too, to save some memory. iTunes is one of them and I haven't encountered any problem in over a year.

Michael

schatzy
2007-07-31, 04:43
Michael

Thank you for all your help.

After turning off all plugins, not removing them there was no change in the final outcome. Still on the last scan to get the last few (200-300) songs loaded it came back with zero artists.

I will delete the plugin folders that i do not need. I can always add them back later. and do another dump of the database and scan from fresh.

One other question that maybe you can answer for me is how can i get sda2 and sdb1 to automount. I have tried a few things in the etc/fstab file but they do not seem to work. when i restart the computer all the changes i made to the etc/fstab file are gone.
Being a newbie to linux there is probably something i am missing.

mherger
2007-07-31, 04:55
> I will delete the plugin folders that i do not need. I can always add
> them back later. and do another dump of the database and scan from
> fresh.

Please don't forget to log the scanner's output. It might tell us where we have a problem.

On thought: you have enough free disk space, do you?

Michael

schatzy
2007-07-31, 05:29
I have turned on d_scan, d_info and d_file and after 20 minutes of scanning only have 12 lines of data in the log file.

I should have enough disk space as i am running a 4gig drive. If that is not enough then i will have to figure something else out.

I expect that it will be another 5-6 hours before the scan is close to finishing as it has taken that or longer to do them in the past.
but i will keep an eye on the log file.

On the sda2 and sdb1 being auto mounted do you have any sugestions on how to keep the change persistent.

schatzy
2007-08-01, 03:56
After scanning for 8+ hours it shows no errors in the log file and has completed properly. It now shows 7686 Albums, 54884 Songs and 3356 Artists. These number seem to be correct as they arethe same as both the windows boxes show.

I have turned back on some of the plugins and it is working just as it should

Thanks for all your help.