PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox as bridge to multiple devices

darius
2007-07-29, 16:56
I currently use my SB3 as a wireless bridge to one device (DirecTV box). It works great for that. However, I'd now like to use it as a bridge to two devices (also an XBox 360).

The wiki suggested that this is possible, by hooking up the Squeezebox to a network switch, and then connecting two (or more) devices to the switch.

Can anyone provide me with some guidance on how to do this? Do I connect a crossover cable from the Squeezebox to the switch? How about from the switch to the other devices -- do I use crossover cable, or regular ethernet cable?

Has anyone out there set up something like this?

Thanks.

SuperQ
2007-07-29, 19:31
I currently use my SB3 as a wireless bridge to one device (DirecTV box). It works great for that. However, I'd now like to use it as a bridge to two devices (also an XBox 360).

The wiki suggested that this is possible, by hooking up the Squeezebox to a network switch, and then connecting two (or more) devices to the switch.

Can anyone provide me with some guidance on how to do this? Do I connect a crossover cable from the Squeezebox to the switch? How about from the switch to the other devices -- do I use crossover cable, or regular ethernet cable?

Has anyone out there set up something like this?

Thanks.

A regular cable should work to plug it into a switch. Most switches have Auto-Crossover these days tho.

darius
2007-08-01, 16:28
Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure I understand: all I need to do is plug my SB into the switch with a regular ethernet cable, plug my two devices into the switch with two regular cables, and I'm done.

Sounds too easy. There must be a catch!

4mula1
2007-08-01, 18:39
Sounds too easy. There must be a catch!

Generally if it sounds too good to be true it is. But not this time. You understand exactly what you need to do.

I wish DirecTV would enable the USB port on my R15 so I hook it up to my SB3...remote scheduling perhaps? I can dream...