PDA

View Full Version : Pardon me - a volume issue

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-29, 15:10
All of a sudden I am unable to control the volume on my Squeezebox 2. I've had it since '05, and I stay fairly current with daily releases (I'm now on 6.5.4 07/29). I run with the analog outputs, a Win XP sp2 server, and an Ethernet connection. Everything is fine except that I can't get the SB's volume to go up or down. It will only toggle between 51 & 52%. My Softsqueeze's volume works without any issue.

Things I have already tried:
- check all (I hope) player settings
- downloading the current beta 6.5.4
- reload firmware
- reset to factory settings
- reset xilinx

All to no avail. What silly little thing have I done or overlooked?

TIA,

SS

mherger
2007-07-30, 03:12
> All of a sudden I am unable to control the volume on my Squeezebox 2.

Are you using the remote or the web interface?

If you see the problem on the remote only, please check the batteries ;-).

Michael

Skunk
2007-07-30, 04:44
All to no avail. What silly little thing have I done or overlooked?

I usually power cycle (unplug) the Sb3 if something strange like this happens, but you probably already tried that(?).

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-30, 06:08
Thanks guys! I thought I had tried everything but I didn't think of the batteries (mainly because all other functions worked. I sure hope it's the batteries though because that will make it easy.

I'll recharge and try when I get home this evening.

Thanks again!

SS

tyler_durden
2007-07-30, 06:56
Remote controls are not a good app for rechargeable batteries. Get some alkalines and you won't have to change them for at least a year even if you use the remote everyday.

NiMH have a self discharge rate that is higher than the remote control's discharge rate. Even if the remote sits unused, rechargeables will be dead in a couple weeks. If they get too low you'll have a problem recharging them.

Use rechargeables for apps that demand a lot of current- digital cameras, etc.

TD

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-30, 07:25
TD,

Thanks for the information. I'm a green kind of guy and haven't purchased alkalines for many years, and run rechargeables in all of my remotes with long term (over a year) life of a change in those remotes. Actually, I think that the batteries in the Slim remote are still the original from '05 so Michael's idea to refresh them seems like a valid one. Since I'm about to purchase a Harmony remote for the livingroom (already have one in the basement) I'll attempt to "suffer" through until then with rechargables. Armed with your advice and the fact the I have found a place that recyles alkaline batteries I will switch my remote power source for the 659.

Thanks for the advice!

SS

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-30, 08:43
I use rechargeable alkalines in my universal remote. I like them because they put out a full 1.5 V rather than the 1.25 V NiMHs do. Also they don't cost any more than regular alkalines, provided you already have a charger.

I do have a fairly high infant mortality rate on these things though, but if I can get as little as 1 recharge out of them I'll accept that. Once I weed out the poor ones, the others keep on going. They saves money and you don't have to throw as many out. I charge them once a month.

Back on topic, the problem is incredibly specific and you'd be noticing other effects if it was just the remote batteries. Try:

- altering the volume using the web interface (if this works then this is the remote)

- altering the volume while connected to SqueezeNetwork (if this works then something's up with SlimServer)

If neither of these work then it may be a hardware problem.

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-30, 08:57
Thanks Mark! For the ideas to try and that concurrent "green" opinion.

On topic, I was concerned that the only issue seems to be the volume on the remote. I have tried it on SqueezeNetwork with the same results but have not attempted using the Web interface. I wish I could try it now as work is a little slow today (I'm not complaining mind you) but I'll just have to wait until I get home....darn! :)

If the Web UI doesn't work I'll give support a call this evening. (I'm on the East Coast)

Thanks again to everyone. I'll let you know what "shakes out".

SS

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-31, 05:22
Back on topic, the problem is incredibly specific and you'd be noticing other effects if it was just the remote batteries. Try:

- altering the volume using the web interface (if this works then this is the remote)

- altering the volume while connected to SqueezeNetwork (if this works then something's up with SlimServer)

If neither of these work then it may be a hardware problem.

Not a great evening...I got home and tried a new set of batteries. The behavior didn't change. Then I tried changing the volume on the Web interface. Same problem. (I use KDF's great Fishbpne skin and the volume would indicate an increase when clicking to increase but would almost immediately reset). Okay, I though now to try SqueezeNetwork...but, at that moment, someone most have hit a pole and took out my electric and cable. At least I got to bed early. Things were back this morning but I needed to help my wife get her things in the car for her bake sale for the Greater Good. So, I'll have to try SqueezeNetwork this evening.

Again, thanks for your ideas! Sorry for the incomplete progress report :)

SS

snarlydwarf
2007-07-31, 07:58
You didnt happen to install the VolumeGuard plugin did you?

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-31, 08:42
You didnt happen to install the VolumeGuard plugin did you?

Not consciously, but it certainly sounds as though I should check. It would happen to be a plugin that gets installed on it's own? In any case, I'll check this evening.

Thanks for your thoughts!

SS

snarlydwarf
2007-07-31, 08:47
It shouldn't get installed automatically, but it does have the behavior you describe... though it is supposed to sneak the adjustments in instead of disallowing them.

I can't think of why the server of all things wouldnt work... I don't think it queries the SB and asks the volume, it keeps track of it by itself.... so something is up with the server end. No clue what though.

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-31, 15:10
It shouldn't get installed automatically, but it does have the behavior you describe... though it is supposed to sneak the adjustments in instead of disallowing them.

I can't think of why the server of all things wouldnt work... I don't think it queries the SB and asks the volume, it keeps track of it by itself.... so something is up with the server end. No clue what though.

Okay then. I came home and rechecked everything to make certain I wasn't dreaming or just missing something stupid. All remained the same. So I called support. I had about a five minute conversation with Dan and me suggested stopping SlimServer, deleting the preference file, and restarting. Pesto, volume control re-established albeit without my preferences. Dan suggested something happened to the .pref file. I saved it and going to nose around for a bit. I'll report back if I find something.

Again, THANKS for all the help you folks are fantastic!

Regards,

SS

Secret Squirrel
2007-07-31, 15:20
Okay then. I came home and rechecked everything to make certain I wasn't dreaming or just missing something stupid. All remained the same. So I called support. I had about a five minute conversation with Dan and me suggested stopping SlimServer, deleting the preference file, and restarting. Pesto, volume control re-established albeit without my preferences. Dan suggested something happened to the .pref file. I saved it and going to nose around for a bit. I'll report back if I find something.

Again, THANKS for all the help you folks are fantastic!

Regards,

SS

I knew it was something I did! A short while ago I had installed the IRBaster plug-in, and I was not completely successful at the time. Like it didn't work. I guess I haven't attempted to change the volume until just the other day. After reloading my preference file and then disabling the IRBaster, the volume control is back.

Sorry for the extended DUH! (I hate feeling like Homer Simpleton!)

SS

snarlydwarf
2007-07-31, 15:24
Oh neat, so every time you hit volume up it mocked you and sent an additional volume down?

That is actually, well... funny.