PDA

View Full Version : Remote Controls

FTJoe
2007-07-29, 01:59
Okay - About to order one SB to play with. I'm wading through documentation, love the Slimserver and I'll start playing with the various options soon. First question I have, and it's WAF oriented, is what is a better all-around remote, the Nokia 770 or N800? Trust me when I say the regular remote is no good. I'm sure that eventually, it will be used, but need a little WOW to start.

What's the basic difference between to two (in regards to the music).

One question I got was when we travel, can we bring the Nxxx and listen to music. I believe the N800 has rhapsody support but not the 770, but for $140 I'm leaning to the 770. Any other differences I need to know about? TIA.

earthbased
2007-07-29, 08:09
Okay - About to order one SB to play with. I'm wading through documentation, love the Slimserver and I'll start playing with the various options soon. First question I have, and it's WAF oriented, is what is a better all-around remote, the Nokia 770 or N800? Trust me when I say the regular remote is no good. I'm sure that eventually, it will be used, but need a little WOW to start.

What's the basic difference between to two (in regards to the music).

One question I got was when we travel, can we bring the Nxxx and listen to music. I believe the N800 has rhapsody support but not the 770, but for $140 I'm leaning to the 770. Any other differences I need to know about? TIA.

The N800/770 is not a remote. It is a web computer that can display the SS WEB GUI. The 770 is obsolete and had some performance issues. So go with the N800.

FTJoe
2007-07-29, 13:29
Thanx - I meant to say use it as a remote. I thought there were some fixes/workarounds/tweaks for the 770 to fix the performance problems? I'm trying to keep this in the cheap though I do see many folks complaining about the WSOD on the 770s, especially the ones coming from buy.com.

Pellicle
2007-07-29, 14:57
If you only plan on using it as a control for SS then you might want to think about the 770. I have both and for the SS use I see no difference. The issue of reliability are largely gone with the 770 as the OS has gone thru a number of upgrades.

If you plan on using a number of applications on the device which is very flexible the 800 has more memory and going forward in time development will center mainly on the new unit and it's OS. Both use an embedded Debian OS and there are third party ad-on for VOIP, GPS, media browsing etc.

Of course the 770 can be had for $130 and the 800 is over $300. Personally other that the increased memory I like the 770 better for use with SS just due to look and feel not functionality.

James_B
2007-07-30, 06:45
Trust me when I say the regular remote is no good. I'm sure that eventually, it will be used, but need a little WOW to start.

IMHO the original remote is very good. It is surprisingly attractive and does the job fast and efficiently. Granted a graphic remote can be great if you have the time to sit down and browse your library or show off to friends but in reality it is not yet the most practical solution (i find the lag just too irritating). So until a dedicated remote arrives I would stick with the original..

FTJoe
2007-07-31, 03:44
WAF factor, cool remote must be used, must compete with Sonos installation the better half already saw but I have no doubt the regular remote will be used day to day once the buzz wears off. I do have outside speakers that will be controlled with a T-Amp that will reside upstairs with the SB so no visuals available. I think this kind of requires the 770 or equivalent.

Yesfan70
2007-07-31, 20:25
As far as WAFs, I would say the original would be hard to beat.

I have a Marantz RC2000 remote that can learn just about any IR code there is and then some. Back in the day it was hailed as the "remote of the gods", but it's a dinosaur of a remote (not to mention a battery hog) compared to what's out there now.

I have had it since the late 90s and it's still going. Unfortunately my wife still hasn't figured out how to use it either.