PDA

View Full Version : Library scan problems

DoomWolf
2007-07-27, 07:32
I'm having problems where if I browse to an artist in slimserver it says something like "4 albums by 15 artists".

It appears to be the problem discussed in these threads:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36427
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36858
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36737

Looking in the database, the 'contributors' table shows the name field as being the info from the composer tag rather than the artist tag. I'm running version 6.5.4 (I believe this problem was fixed in 6.5.3) and rescanning the library (option to delete and rescan) doesn't fix the problem. Do I need to fully uninstall and reinstall slimserver? I'd rather have a solution that didn't involve deleting all my composer tags as I don't really want to have to remove any data contained within the tracks if possible.

I also have a problem where my Beach Boys Greatest Hits album ends up under 'various artists' and categorised as a compilation in the database. Setting the compilation database field to NULL fixes the problem. Is this related to the composer tag problem? It's strange because this album's composer tags are no more varied than any other.

My final problem is that I can't seem to get multiple disc sets to display as one album. I keep each disc in a different folder (e.g. artist\album CD1, artist\album CD2), but set the album tag to be the same for all tracks in the set, and number the tracks sequentially (e.g. CD1 tracks 1-20, CD2 tracks 20-40). This works fine for putting the music on my Creative Zen, but not in slimserver. I have the 'Group Discs' option set to 'treat multi-disc sets as a single album'.

DoomWolf
2007-07-29, 11:12
Anyone with any advice, please?

erland
2007-07-29, 11:54
Looking in the database, the 'contributors' table shows the name field as being the info from the composer tag rather than the artist tag. I'm running version 6.5.4 (I believe this problem was fixed in 6.5.3) and rescanning the library (option to delete and rescan) doesn't fix the problem. Do I need to fully uninstall and reinstall slimserver? I'd rather have a solution that didn't involve deleting all my composer tags as I don't really want to have to remove any data contained within the tracks if possible.The composer problem in 6.5.2 was related to the 'contributor_album' table which contained too few entries. So you are seeing something else here if there are to few entries in the 'contributors' table. The 'contributors' table shall contain both composers and artists, but I'm guessing you are already aware of that.

Have you tried to remove the composer tags temporarily on one album to see if it makes any difference ?

I also have a problem where my Beach Boys Greatest Hits album ends up under 'various artists' and categorised as a compilation in the database. Setting the compilation database field to NULL fixes the problem. Is this related to the composer tag problem? It's strange because this album's composer tags are no more varied than any other.Might be related to the problem above. I think a "various artists" album is detected as follows:
- The COMPILATION tag/bit is set
- The album contains more than one artist

My final problem is that I can't seem to get multiple disc sets to display as one album. I keep each disc in a different folder (e.g. artist\album CD1, artist\album CD2), but set the album tag to be the same for all tracks in the set, and number the tracks sequentially (e.g. CD1 tracks 1-20, CD2 tracks 20-40). This works fine for putting the music on my Creative Zen, but not in slimserver. I have the 'Group Discs' option set to 'treat multi-disc sets as a single album'.
I'm not completely sure about this but I think SlimServer will create a new album for each directory, so I don't think you shouldn't split the discs into separate directories if you like to see them as a single album.

DoomWolf
2007-07-29, 12:44
The composer problem in 6.5.2 was related to the 'contributor_album' table which contained too few entries. So you are seeing something else here if there are to few entries in the 'contributors' table. The 'contributors' table shall contain both composers and artists, but I'm guessing you are already aware of that.

Have you tried to remove the composer tags temporarily on one album to see if it makes any difference ?

Having a look through more of the albums, I found some without any composer tags (or with composer=artist) and they display correctly, i.e. 1 album with 15 songs by 1 artist. I just want Slimserver to look at the artist tag and ignore the composer.

Might be related to the problem above. I think a "various artists" album is detected as follows:
- The COMPILATION tag/bit is set
- The album contains more than one artist

The artist is set the same (Beach Boys, The) on all tracks in the album. The only thing I can think of is there being rather a lot of different composer combinations (i.e. songwriters) within that particular album.

I'm not completely sure about this but I think SlimServer will create a new album for each directory, so I don't think you shouldn't split the discs into separate directories if you like to see them as a single album.

I could put them into single directories, but I suppose I'm a bit fussy in how I organise the structure of my music collection. If I have a CD set, I like to keep the discs in seperate directories for organisation, but set the ID tags to have it show as one album when browsed on a digital music player. Why is the folder important to slimserver? When I browse the collections it gives me each disc as the same album name (from the tags), ignoring the folder names. What exactly does the 'Group Discs' option actually do, then?

I would have expected Slimserver to ignore the underlying file structure (or at least have an option to do so) as surely that's not relevant in a properly tagged digital music collection. As I said, my Creative Zen manages happily just using ID tags regardless of the file structure.

erland
2007-07-29, 13:20
I could put them into single directories, but I suppose I'm a bit fussy in how I organise the structure of my music collection. If I have a CD set, I like to keep the discs in seperate directories for organisation, but set the ID tags to have it show as one album when browsed on a digital music player. Why is the folder important to slimserver? When I browse the collections it gives me each disc as the same album name (from the tags), ignoring the folder names. What exactly does the 'Group Discs' option actually do, then?

I would have expected Slimserver to ignore the underlying file structure (or at least have an option to do so) as surely that's not relevant in a properly tagged digital music collection. As I said, my Creative Zen manages happily just using ID tags regardless of the file structure.I think I was wrong regarding this, I just tried to change the "Group Discs" option in my own setup and it works correctly. I have the discs in separate directories.

DoomWolf
2007-07-29, 15:33
It's looking like I may be best trying a full uninstall and reinstall I think. I'll let you know what happens.

markc
2007-08-21, 06:29
Did a full uninstall/reinstall solve the problems, DoomWolf?

DoomWolf
2007-08-21, 06:49
Did a full uninstall/reinstall solve the problems, DoomWolf?

No. I tested it by doing a fresh install of 6.5.4 in a virtual machine, and letting it scan from scratch. The result was the same as my main installation.

What I have done since is to add a new tag to all my tracks called 'Writer' and copy the contents of the composer tag to the writer tag, and then delete all of the composer tag information (it will give the ability to copy the information back to the composer tag at a later date if the problem is ever fixed, so at least I don't lose any data). This solved my multiple artists problem.

However, I was still left with a few other issues. One being the Beach Boys Greatest Hits problem I mentioned. Slimserver managed to mix it up with another Greatest Hits album by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (other albums titled Greatest Hits weren't affected). All the tracks (except one) from both albums were referenced as being one compilation album under various artists, but were also listed under the two artists. There was a separate Greatest Hits album for the Red Hot Chili Peppers that only had the first track associated with it (yes, all the tags on the other tracks were identical and correct as I checked closely in MP3Tag). Changing the compilation field in the database to NULL made the albums appear under each artist as "Greatest Hits by 'Beach Boys, The' 'Red Hot Chili Peppers'".

I ended up having to go through the database tables changing various fields and references to separate the albums into two entities. As someone who works with databases on a daily basis, I'm able to do that, but I consider it a serious failure for a consumer-level product. I wish I could remember every step I had to take as I'm sure to need to do it again next time I have to do a full scan.

I also still have the problem of being unable to make Slimserver see multi-CD albums as being a single album, but I think I'll just have to live with that for now.

erland
2007-08-21, 09:05
I ended up having to go through the database tables changing various fields and references to separate the albums into two entities. As someone who works with databases on a daily basis, I'm able to do that, but I consider it a serious failure for a consumer-level product. I wish I could remember every step I had to take as I'm sure to need to do it again next time I have to do a full scan.

I also still have the problem of being unable to make Slimserver see multi-CD albums as being a single album, but I think I'll just have to live with that for now.
Have you reported these issues as bugs at http://bugs.slimdevices.com ?
It sounds like you have done some investigation and would be able to write a bug report that describe both how the tags in the files looks like and how the result after a rescan looks in the database.

Unless you actually report as a bug or contact Logitech/SlimDevices support there is not much chance that any developer takes a closer look at the problem and tries to solve it.

snarlydwarf
2007-08-21, 10:56
However, I was still left with a few other issues. One being the Beach Boys Greatest Hits problem I mentioned. Slimserver managed to mix it up with another Greatest Hits album by the Red Hot Chili Peppers (other albums titled Greatest Hits weren't affected). All the tracks (except one) from both albums were referenced as being one compilation album under various artists, but were also listed under the two artists. There was a separate Greatest Hits album for the Red Hot Chili Peppers that only had the first track associated with it (yes, all the tags on the other tracks were identical and correct as I checked closely in MP3Tag). Changing the compilation field in the database to NULL made the albums appear under each artist as "Greatest Hits by 'Beach Boys, The' 'Red Hot Chili Peppers'".

Are these albums in the same directory?

It should work fine and recognize them as distinct albums if you have them in different directories...

That should be easy as well... what format are these, and what sort of directory structure are you using?

DoomWolf
2007-08-21, 11:35
Are these albums in the same directory?

It should work fine and recognize them as distinct albums if you have them in different directories...

That should be easy as well... what format are these, and what sort of directory structure are you using?

They are in different directories:

M:\Music\Beach Boys, The\Greatest Hits
M:\Music\Red Hot Chili Peppers\Greatest Hits

All my music files are MP3. I cleaned all the tags using MP3Tag (everything appears correctly in my Creative Zen Vision:M).

As you can tell from the above directory paths, all my music is stored in an artist\album\track.mp3 structure in the Music folder on my M:\ drive

snarlydwarf
2007-08-21, 11:49
Very odd: since that is pretty much how I store mine and that should work fine. Since it works for me (and others) and not for you (and possibly others), there is something "different"... (and since it usually seperates Greatest Hits for you... except for the Beach Boys/Red Hot Chili Peppers merger...)

Are you using iTunes or MusicIP? Is the iTunes-TCMP tag being set at all?

The clue may be in the tags for those two albums and why on earth they get linked together.

DoomWolf
2007-08-21, 13:25
I don't use iTunes (Creative Zen was a giveaway there ;) ) or MusicIP. My thought was the tags, but I checked them over and over and everything *seems* ok. Maybe there's some weird tags hidden from MP3Tags view?

I've just opened up my Slimserver version in VirtualPC to see exactly what it does:

Open web interface

Browse to Artists
Click 'Beach Boys, The'
Click 'Greatest Hits' - shows correct album

Browse to Artists
Click 'Red Hot Chili Peppers'
Click 'Greatest Hits' - shows correct album

Browse to Artists
Click 'Various Artists'
Shows two albums called 'Greatest Hits'
Click first 'Greatest Hits' - Displays album art of Beach Boys album. Shows listing of Beach Boys tracks, followed by listing of Chilis tracks from track 2.
Click second 'Greatest Hits' - Displays album art of Chilis album. Shows track 1 of Chilis album

Now something strange: I've just browsed back to the home page and back to Various Artists and now there's only one Greatest Hits with all tracks except Chilis track 1. From there I click on the 'Red Hot Chili Peppers' link and now see two Greatest Hits under them, one with tracks 1 and 2, the other with tracks 3 onwards.

As I click the Greatest Hits link in the breadcrumb links at the top, the tracks move from one album to the other until one album is empty and the other correctly populated. Now, going back to Various Artists, the Greatest Hits album there only shows Beach Boys tracks, but only from track 6. Clicking the breadcrumb links does the same as with the Chilis one. Now I'm left with one correct album under each artist, 1 empty album under each artist, and an empty album under Various Artists.

How is clicking navigation links in the web interface causing the database to make these updates?

I'm confused!!!???

snarlydwarf
2007-08-21, 13:43
Hrrm that may actually be a semi-clue.

Whenever Slimserver notices a file changed, it updates the database (not well, which is why I do a clear-and-rescan every night in the middle of the night...). Ie, if you change the tags on a track, then click it in the WebUI or play it on the player, the database gets updated with the changed tags.

So it sounds like Slimserver (as opposed to the scanner) is somehow seeing "Oh, this file changed, let me update my database" when you do that.... the 'why' is still a mystery, but since you deal with databases all day you know computers are predictable and only follow instructions, so the instructions or data are wrong somehow...

If you've changed stuff in the database, then, yes, it will change back whenever one of the changed tracks is encountered.

The trick then is trying to figure out why it is seeing those two albums differently than other similarly titled discs... I don't know what tools Windows has to "really" look at tags. On Linux I use eyeD3 which can be coerced to display all id3 tags.

Is there a way to see if you have the TCMP tag set? That is non-standard, "but itunes uses it!" and implies "this is a various artists releases" which may confuse Slimserver on single artist releases with the same name...

DoomWolf
2007-08-21, 16:13
You may have also shed some light on it. The installation I did this on was not my main one where I'd made the database changes, but a virtual PC installation using the built-in database. What has changed, however, are the composer tags in my music files that I mentioned in my post earlier today (the virtual installation points to the same files as my main install).

Slimserver would therefore see that the file's tags have been changed (the composer tag being blanked) and this would trigger the updates in the database. I can't see any TCMP tags anywhere, so it's looking like this is perhaps related to the composer tag, which brings me back to the problems I detailed at the start of this thread.