PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Squeezebox to wired & wireless Lans at same time

Matt McGrath
2007-07-27, 00:00
I'd like to connect my squuezebox to my main music server (an Apple Mac) using wired LAN, but also enable wireless connection direct from the squeezebox to my wireless router.

Reason:

My music is stored as Apple lossless format. This has quite a high bit rate which would soak up capacity on my wireless letwork (especially as I have devices on it which only run at 11MBs, dragging down the overall performance). As the relevant computer is near the squeezebox it's easy to run a Lan cable between them.

But at other times I want to use Squeezenetwork to listen to the radio by going directly onto the internet via the wireless link.

Squeezebox setup seems quite happy to allow simultaneous connection in this way. And I did briefly get it to work. But on turning back on this morning it could not find the wired computer.

This may be either down to DHCP or perhaps to some conflict because what I have in effect is two networks. Should I set up different subnet masks for each - both are using 255.255.255.0 at the moment?

Just to complicate matters further, the Apple computer with the music on it connects to the rest of the network (ie everything including internet except for the squeezebox) via wireless.

At the moment I use DHCP for both computer and squeezebox thought its easy enough to change that for the computer at least.

hunta
2007-07-27, 01:29
Do you have ports on your router, or is it purely wireless? I'd have thought the easiest solution would be to wire everything, unless you have some reason why the router has to be away from the computer.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-27, 06:56
The Squeezebox can be set to use one interface only, not two simultaneously.

BUT, it can be set to bridge wireless to wired. Set it to connect wirelessly but connect the Mac wired, then enable bridging. According the Sean Adams, the bridging function is smart enough to detect SlimProto packets coming off the wired leg and interpret them rather than sending them off wirelessly.

The Mac will then still be connected wirelessly, but through the Squeezebox this time. You can probably still use the Mac's wireless connection - as long as the gateway in the Squeezebox is set to the router and not the Mac, data from SqueezeNetwork will come wirelessly directly from the router.

GlennT
2007-07-27, 08:14
OK... I think I have a valid picture of your setup.

1. You have a primarily wireless network.
2. The only wired connection is directly between the PC and Squeezebox. Neither is connected, via wire, to the router or to a switch?

Is that accurate? I'm guessing that either, or both, cannot be wired to the router for some reason? And it needs to be both, if you need that bandwidth between the SB and PC.

BUT, it can be set to bridge wireless to wired. Set it to connect wirelessly but connect the Mac wired, then enable bridging. According the Sean Adams, the bridging function is smart enough to detect SlimProto packets coming off the wired leg and interpret them rather than sending them off wirelessly.
That's a good suggestion. I can't think of much else at the moment, short of getting everything wired.

Matt McGrath
2007-07-28, 05:16
Thanks for the answers.

Yes, the primary home network, controlled by a Netgear wireless router, is wireless. It isn't convenient to run wires to all the computers in the house from the site of the cable modem. But I want to connect the s'box to the music server using Lan cables to guarantee it bandwidth.

I did manage to get this to work once by fiddling with the Apple's TCP/IP settings for wired and wireless. Basically, I think the trick is to have two IP addresses for the devices, one for the wired and one for the wireless systems. I shall go and play some more and report back...

Furry
2007-07-29, 03:15
BUT, it can be set to bridge wireless to wired.

I've just set up a PBX to use IP phones, and this causes me to think I might be able to plug a phone into the SB3's wired port.

When I check the SB3's menu option for bridging, though, its set to 'No' and won't let me change it.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Dave.

earthbased
2007-07-29, 08:14
I'd like to connect my squuezebox to my main music server (an Apple Mac) using wired LAN, but also enable wireless connection direct from the squeezebox to my wireless router.

Reason:

My music is stored as Apple lossless format. This has quite a high bit rate which would soak up capacity on my wireless letwork (especially as I have devices on it which only run at 11MBs, dragging down the overall performance). As the relevant computer is near the squeezebox it's easy to run a Lan cable between them.

But at other times I want to use Squeezenetwork to listen to the radio by going directly onto the internet via the wireless link.

Squeezebox setup seems quite happy to allow simultaneous connection in this way. And I did briefly get it to work. But on turning back on this morning it could not find the wired computer.

This may be either down to DHCP or perhaps to some conflict because what I have in effect is two networks. Should I set up different subnet masks for each - both are using 255.255.255.0 at the moment?

Just to complicate matters further, the Apple computer with the music on it connects to the rest of the network (ie everything including internet except for the squeezebox) via wireless.

At the moment I use DHCP for both computer and squeezebox thought its easy enough to change that for the computer at least.

SqueezeNetwork would be accessible over the wired ethernet just like SS assuming you use wireless router. Or if your are connecting directly to your MAC with wired then no dice unless you can get the MAC to act as a wireless router.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-29, 08:24
I've just set up a PBX to use IP phones, and this causes me to think I might be able to plug a phone into the SB3's wired port.

When I check the SB3's menu option for bridging, though, its set to 'No' and won't let me change it.

Any ideas?

TIA,
Dave.

It probably won't work that way, you need an actual Ethernet network, not an IP phone.

However it could be that this requires a crossover cable rather than a patch cable. I believe this early in the connection process the SB is only looking for continuity over the Ethernet port, and if it doesn't get continuity, switch cables from patch to crossover or vice-versa.

Furry
2007-07-29, 10:02
It probably won't work that way, you need an actual Ethernet network, not an IP phone.

However it could be that this requires a crossover cable rather than a patch cable. I believe this early in the connection process the SB is only looking for continuity over the Ethernet port, and if it doesn't get continuity, switch cables from patch to crossover or vice-versa.

No, I mean that the SB3 is on the wireless network, and I want to provide the wired phone with a network connection via the SB3's wired network port.

Whichever cable might be required, the SB3 won't let me enable wireless bridge anyway.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-29, 10:12
Whichever cable might be required, the SB3 won't let me enable wireless bridge anyway.

It probably needs a connection to a router or to a computer, but it won't let you enable it until you get continuity.

Sometimes you need to power-cycle it with the LAN cable connected, select wireless connection, and if it detects a wired device is connected, it will then ask if you want to bridge. You shouldn't have to do a factory reset (unplug power, press and hold ADD, replug power) but that should work as well.