PDA

View Full Version : Playing problems

apmadsen
2007-07-26, 20:40
I've had the squeezebox for almost half a year, and though it sounds god and all that, i'm VERY frustrated...!

Why does it clear the playlist whenever i press play to play a song? It takes forever to add all the songs again.

Isn't there a way to get around this, so that it behaves like any other player, and simply locates (or adds) the song in the playlist, instead of clearing the playlist, adding the song, and making me listen to the same song over and over again, until i chose to add the rest of my music library???

I do know that you can press-hold the play button to make it play next, but it's simply not good enough.

Perhaps there is a new software for the squeezebox, or even a way to play songs directly from the music library instead of the playlist?

davep
2007-07-26, 22:24
Why does it clear the playlist whenever i press play to play a song? It takes forever to add all the songs again.

Isn't there a way to get around this, so that it behaves like any other player, and simply locates (or adds) the song in the playlist, instead of clearing the playlist, adding the song, and making me listen to the same song over and over again, until i chose to add the rest of my music library???

I do know that you can press-hold the play button to make it play next, but it's simply not good enough.

Perhaps there is a new software for the squeezebox, or even a way to play songs directly from the music library instead of the playlist?

There are several ways to play songs directly from the music library - that is what the browse menu is for. You can either browse by Artist/Song/Album/Genre, etc, or if you prefer, directly via the Music Folder directory structure and find the song you want to play and then just press PLAY and it will go straight into playing that track.

If you then want to add further songs to make a playlist which will play in the order to want to add them, just browse to them one by one and at each song press the + key. This adds them to the end of the current list queued up to play. If you want to add a particular track directly into the "play next" slot on this list then you press and hold the + key. Neither of these uses of the + key will clear the songs you have already added.

And if you like your list and want to keep it to use again then you can save this a playlist and save yourself having to add them all again next time.

Hope this helps clarify the inteface a bit.

davep

apmadsen
2007-07-27, 09:09
I know that that is an option - current my only option - but it's very annoying to have to add a playlist each time i want to skip to another song i want to hear.

Another pain in the ***, is that it takes a long time to add a playlist (1500+ songs)., however i don't know if it's because the wireless connection is to slow.

My wish is (or was) that i could locate a desired song in the current playlist, press play, and hear that song allthewhile the player would continue through the playlist when the song was done - just like ordinary players...

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-27, 10:58
Another pain in the ***, is that it takes a long time to add a playlist (1500+ songs)., however i don't know if it's because the wireless connection is to slow.

No, that's because your server is bogging down because you're trying to add 3+ days' worth of music to the playlist at once. Any reason why your playlists are so huge?

My wish is (or was) that i could locate a desired song in the current playlist, press play, and hear that song allthewhile the player would continue through the playlist when the song was done - just like ordinary players...

Just scroll down your list using the down button, then press play once you see what you want or select it from the web interface.

Robin Bowes
2007-07-27, 13:06
apmadsen wrote:

> Why does it clear the playlist whenever i press play to play a song? It
> takes forever to add all the songs again.

Because that's what "play" means.

If you just want to add a song to the play list, press "+".

> Isn't there a way to get around this, so that it behaves like any other
> player, and simply locates (or adds) the song in the playlist, instead
> of clearing the playlist, adding the song, and making me listen to the
> same song over and over again, until i chose to add the rest of my
> music library???

See above. You might also like to try turning repeat off. (Hint: press
the repeat button to cycle between Off - Song - Playlist)

> I do know that you can press-hold the play button to make it play next,
> but it's simply not good enough.

See above.

> Perhaps there is a new software for the squeezebox, or even a way to
> play songs directly from the music library instead of the playlist?

See above, and perhaps, RTFM - pages 9&10 of the Squeezebox Owner's
Guide are relevant.

R.

apmadsen
2007-07-28, 03:43
I may be very demanding, i know that, however i just want whats most comfortable for me.

The reason a want to use a full playlist with all the songs, is that i most of the time, let the player play randomly selected songs, and i really don't want it to play the same songs again and again.

BTW, i am aware that i can scroll through the playlist (or press a number) to find a song, but when the playlist contains 1500+ songs, it would take a long time to find a desired song.
Also, since i'm able to scroll through the playlist and play a desired song, i thought there ought to be a way to search the playlist instead, and then play the desired song, while keeping the playlist active.

Last but nost least: I've paid around $600 for the player, and the same for a server, because i want to be able to control all my music from the player only - also i hoped it would be as easy as say winamp (only without the GUI) to control, even though that was just wishful thinking.

I thank everyone for your participation to this thread...

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-28, 06:22
The reason a want to use a full playlist with all the songs, is that i most of the time, let the player play randomly selected songs, and i really don't want it to play the same songs again and again.

Have you tried Random Mix?

BTW, i am aware that i can scroll through the playlist (or press a number) to find a song, but when the playlist contains 1500+ songs, it would take a long time to find a desired song.

...how else could it be done?

Searching within a playlist wasn't envisioned because usually playlists aren't that long.

Last but nost least: I've paid around $600 for the player

They retail for $299.99 US on this site?

davep
2007-07-28, 07:59
OK, now I think we are getting to an understanding of how you want to use your SB - this wasn't fully clear to me from your previous posts. If I read you correctly you have a large (1500 song) playlist that basically represents the music you'd like to be selected from during a random play session. Sometimes you'd like to jump to a particular song and hear it now. However, when you do this you press Play and it wipes out the playlist and just plays the new song you have chosen. This is exactly as designed, but I can understand it being a source of frustration if you are expecting something else to happen.

As mentioned before the trick here is to use the '+' key to add the new song - either as a single press, which adds it to the end, or more likely what you are looking for, as a press-and-hold, which adds the track as the next up. Once this inserted track has been played your original playlist resumes from where it left off.

Also, if you do lose your playlist for any reason it should not take ages to add them all back again - if you get it the way you want it once you can then save it as a Playlist and add it all at any time with a couple of key presses.

davep

mudlark
2007-07-28, 09:38
Hi,

If someone has a particular playlist that they use, wouldn't it be easier to drop the list into a new dircetory and use that as the folder for music for the squeezebox?

Mike.

apmadsen
2007-07-29, 12:54
After reading the reply from Mark Lanctot, i tryed out the random mix function - previously i thought that it would only play a few songs, since the now playing screen sad "song x of 14", but it actually adds songs, as the songs are played, making it the function i was after.
So now, i just activate the random mix (by adding it), each time i've selected a song from search, and it works as a charm - no need for playlists anymore.

About the price i paid, i think it was more like $500, but it's still a chock to see that you can get it for $300 here - well shit happens...