Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gibbo
    • Jul 2007

Best way to get artwork?

Whats the best way to get the album art? itunes finds less than half my collection for some reason? I had started to use discogs, and drag the artwork in, but I've got at least 700 albums without art, and that could take a while.

Any programs that are good at searching and assigning by themselves?
  • Videodrome
    • May 2007

Originally posted by Gibbo
    Whats the best way to get the album art? itunes finds less than half my collection for some reason? I had started to use discogs, and drag the artwork in, but I've got at least 700 albums without art, and that could take a while.

Any programs that are good at searching and assigning by themselves?
    Try Album Art Aggregator. It links to amazon.com's domestic and overseas databases and usually finds 80% of what you're looking for. From there, it's a simple double click on the right cover. If it's older / out-of-print titles, you're on your own to find the jpeg on the Internet. Based on my own experience, some of your collection may simply be unobtainable.

Comment

• Gibbo
      • Jul 2007

I don't need to get to 100% although it would obviously be nice, just something that resembles most of it. Itunes just doesn't seem at all usefull for some reason.

I'll give Album Art Aggregator a try, thanks.

Comment

• Heuer
        • Nov 2005

Agree about AA Aggregator - good tool but not fully automated by any means. I was dreading doing my collection of 2,000 FLAC albums but it only took a day to get jpg's of about everything I had using Aggregator and Google. Fixtunes is a good application if you are using iTunes.
        Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
        Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
        Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
        Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
        Bedroom: Radio
        Shed: Radio
        Workshop: Boom
        Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
        Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Comment

• JoyrexJ9
          • Jul 2007

I'd watch out for the "fetch album art" feature in iTunes. In version 7+ it doesn't store the artwork in the ID3 tags (so that Slimserver can read it) but rather in it's own database. Basically it's great if all you ever use is iTunes and your iPod (typical Apple)

Comment

• Pale Blue Ego
            • Apr 2005

Google Images can often find obscure cover art.

Comment

• Gibbo
              • Jul 2007

For manual searching http://www.discogs.com/ is an amazing site, requires a little getting used to, as it'll contain vinyl and every format released. for most things it has pretty high resolution covers, and backs of the cd case when you click on the album art.

Comment

• JoyrexJ9
                • Jul 2007

Between Google image search and discogs.com I found covers for everything I have, and I own some really obscure stuff

Comment

• opaqueice
                  • Feb 2006

I just did this - MP3Toys found most of my album art. It's fully automated, uses multiple web sources for the images, and reads tags, filenames, and directory structure to identify the tracks. All you have to do is download it and point it to your music and it does the rest.

The only problem is that the program seems to be very unstable - it crashed (gently) after a while just about every time I ran it. My guess is that this is because I have some free format MP3 files, which most players can't handle - if so, it won't affect anyone else. Anyway it found just about all my album art for me in about an hour, so I don't care :-).

Comment

• tot
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Pale Blue Ego
                    Google Images can often find obscure cover art.
                    Don't forget Yahoo Image search, I find it usually gives better and more relevant results that Google for cover art.

Teemu
                    Teemu

Comment

• Cruzan
                      • May 2007

If you're on a Mac, Export Artwork (http://www.dizzypenguin.com/automac-it/) will automatically get artwork for your entire iTunes music collection. It's great - I've used it for years.

Comment

• Gibbo
                        • Jul 2007

Used mp3toys, very nice program, ok so around 10% of the art its found seems to be wrong (at a guess), but its got something for everything, and it did do it all by itself. Now just means I've got to slowly spot the 200 or so that have the worng album cover, some more obvious than others.

Strange though, done a clear and rescan in SS 6.5.3 and when viewing albums by gallery view it doesn't have any artwork at all? just a big question mark for each one, they are all there when you click on the albums though.
                        And itunes still can't find over half the artwork even though it is all now a jpg in the album folder, anyway people know to sort out itunes 7.3.1 so it sorts itself?

Comment

• MelonMonkey
                          • Nov 2006

The "BEST" way is to get covers manually. It's not the fastest of course.

If your music is properly tagged and album names are correct, iTunes is an invaluable source for decent resolution images for a large collection of music. You can easily imbed the artwork into your tracks with a simple script (it's been posted here before by myself and others).

I have never recommended the site I'm about to mention, but if you guys find it useful, please consider donating to them. The only reason i have never mentioned it is because I have been selfish and didn't want the resource slowed down.

http://rateyourmusic.com - awesome site.

Amazon is a last resort as they always have the worst images around and often on white backgrounds or other formats unsuitable to use as cover artwork. They also have likely a smaller collection of images than iTunes believe it or not. At least that was my experience with some extensive searching.

http://allcdcovers.com has quite a bit of material as well, including cover backs and sometimes liner notes.

There are other CD cover sites with images also provided by users - just google for "cd covers"

Most third-party programs unfortunately use Amazon and are therefore useless to me.

As mentioned, sometimes Discogs.com has something rare, but best to try the other places first. I manage to complete most of my collection with iTunes and RateYourMusic. Every now and then I just break down and scan the cover myself - this is always my last resort as it's definitely more involved than click-click-drag on a web page. But of course produces the best quality if you're willing to spend the time.

Lastly: If possible, don't run any iTunes beyond 7.2.x for now if you're concerned about SlimServer's ability to read its database.
                          Last edited by MelonMonkey; 2007-07-31, 20:30.
                          Bruno
                          Twisted Melon - IR remote solutions for Mac, Boxee Box, Windows and Linux

Comment

• RobHall
                            • Mar 2007

I like Album Art Fixer from AV Soft

Comment

• simong
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by MelonMonkey
                              You can easily imbed the artwork into your tracks with a simple script (it's been posted here before by myself and others).
                              Where would I find it?!

Comment

Working...