PDA

View Full Version : Phone calls cause SB to turn off.

NauticusLX
2007-07-25, 15:34
I have a recurring problem since switching to DSL high-speed internet. When I use the phone, the SqueezeBox turns off. For calls out, simply turning on the phone is the trigger. Both the phone and DSL share the same jack, with s splitter. A filter is on the phone line, supplied by Verizon. The problem persists when the phone is plugged into a different outlet. The phone is about 10 years old, a Panasonic wireless model. The SB connection is restored after about a minute, with the display showing "now playing" but no music actually playing, but then disconnects again when I hang up, so always have to deliberately turn the SB back on. The problem also occurs when the answering machine picks-up. This is a VERY annoying problem, especially if I'm busy with the phone. I don't want to switch back to cable internet since DSL is cheaper and the installation is simpler.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

egd
2007-07-25, 15:49
I presume your SB is connecting to your network wirelessly? If this is the case the likely cause is the wireless channel being used by the sb3 clashing with that used by the phone. Try to reconfigure your WAP to use a different channel. If that doesn't resolve the problem get a pair of netplugs and use your home's power lines to act as your network. IMHO a wired connection is a much better solution for streaming lossless audio. I've been using netplugs for quite some time now and have never had any issues - they just work.

NauticusLX
2007-07-25, 16:23
Those things by Netgear? I was using those when I had cable internet just a few weeks ago, before I switched to DSL. Do you have the same problem with the SB turning off when you make phone calls?

mvalera
2007-07-25, 16:45
Your phone and wireless router/access point are likely both in the 2.4Ghz wireless range.

You need to go into the admin interface for the router and change the wireless channel. You will have 11 to choose from.

You might also want to go get a phone that operates in the 5.8 Ghz range.

Mike

vdonovan
2007-07-25, 19:02
Note that 802.11g works best on channels 1, 6, 11

egd
2007-07-25, 19:45
Those things by Netgear? I was using those when I had cable internet just a few weeks ago, before I switched to DSL. Do you have the same problem with the SB turning off when you make phone calls?

Yep, those things by Netgear and a host of others. No, I don't have any issues when calls are made or received - but I'm not using wireless and that is not to say that if I were I'd have the same issues you're experiencing. I'm suggesting that if your problems are being caused by wireless connectivity issues, going wired will deal with the issue very effectively.

NauticusLX
2007-07-26, 00:39
mvalera, the phone is 10 years old, and uses a protocol that predates the 2.4 GHz. Doesn't that make my problem even more improbable? It seems that getting a newer phone wouldn't resolve the problem. This must be happening to others, I wonder what they do. It's only because I use the phone so little that it's not a bigger problem.

Also, playing with the wireless channels in the router interface doesn't help.

I tried the Netgear for a wired connection using the electrical system but it wouldn't connect to the Squeeze Network.

egd
2007-07-26, 01:28
I tried the Netgear for a wired connection using the electrical system but it wouldn't connect to the Squeeze Network.

That'd be a network configuration issue, not a netplug issue. Was your netplug wired directly to your PC or via your broadband router?

geoffb
2007-07-26, 05:52
On 7/26/07, NauticusLX wrote:
>
> mvalera, the phone is 10 years old, and uses a protocol that predates
> the 2.4 GHz. Doesn't that make my problem even more improbable? It
> seems that getting a newer phone wouldn't resolve the problem. This
> must be happening to others, I wonder what they do. It's only because
> I use the phone so little that it's not a bigger problem.

I had the same issue as you did, and upgrading my phone to a 5.8GHz
fixed the problem on the spot. And the fact that the phone predates
2.4GHz phones doesn't necessarily mean it's not causing the problem,
although I'm not a radio/electronics engineer.

Does the SB stop working the instant you press the talk button on the
phone? This would suggest something other than interference from the
phone, since in my case the SB happily wound it's way through it's
buffer before dying. I had the same problem with the microwave,
although they don't make those to use another frequency ;)

Cheers,
Geoff

mvalera
2007-07-26, 08:53
The FCC opened 2.4Ghz spectrum for cordless phones back in 98. Are you certain that it's not a 2.4ghz phone? Considering you are only having problems when you're using your phone means that your phone is most likely interfering with your wireless network. That would also mean that you most likely have a 2.4Ghz phone.

5.8Ghz phones are pretty cheap, I would pick one up and see if it fixes your problem.

Scroll down to the "Technical Tidbit" in this article:

http://people.sunyulster.edu/oit/Newsletters/2005-08.asp#tidbit

Mike

geoffb
2007-07-26, 12:29
On 7/26/07, Geoff B wrote:
> Does the SB stop working the instant you press the talk button on the
> phone? This would suggest something other than interference from the
> phone, since in my case the SB happily wound it's way through it's
> buffer before dying. I had the same problem with the microwave,
> although they don't make those to use another frequency ;)

One other thing - have you tried running it wired, to see whether the
problem persists? That would also help confirm or deny the 2.4GHz
wireless interference issue.

Cheers,
Geoff

ds2021
2007-07-26, 13:14
On 7/26/07, Geoff B wrote:
> Does the SB stop working the instant you press the talk button on the
> phone? This would suggest something other than interference from the
> phone, since in my case the SB happily wound it's way through it's
> buffer before dying. I had the same problem with the microwave,
> although they don't make those to use another frequency ;)

One other thing - have you tried running it wired, to see whether the
problem persists? That would also help confirm or deny the 2.4GHz
wireless interference issue.

Cheers,
Geoff

Also, remove the cordless phone and plug a corded phone into the same jack. When you raise the handset of the corded phone, does the problem still happen? If not, then the theory of the cordless channel interfering with your wifi holds more water.

_sandis_
2007-07-27, 12:48
are you using slimserver?
or connecting to squeezenetwork?

if later it sounds like your DSL splitter don't work properly.