PDA

View Full Version : Synchronizing squeezebox with stream or non-softsqueeze sofware player

Godskalk
2007-07-25, 13:57
I've tried synchronizing my squeezebox to the stream.mp3, in order to have the same music playing on both squeezebox and foobar, but this appears to be impossible according to this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/search.php?searchid=754723) and a few others.
The problem is, SoftSqueeze is frankly not a very practical player (basing a software player on a piece of hardware doesn't seem like the best idea). Besides a larger and more complicated gui than neccesary, the Java player is simply killing my 1GHz P3.
So, for the question: Is there a reason why synchronizing an mp3 stream and a player is impossible? And if not, will this be implemented any time soon?
And otherwise, are there other synchronizable players similar to SoftSqueeze? Or, and this would have suited me best, does anyone know of any project to create a softsqueeze foobar plugin?

Thanks in advance from this newbie.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-25, 14:08
So, for the question: Is there a reason why synchronizing an mp3 stream and a player is impossible?

Yes, SlimServer has no control over the software player's buffer, and every player buffers differently.

And otherwise, are there other synchronizable players similar to SoftSqueeze?

There was a very early preview of a program called squeezeslave, which was like SoftSqueeze in that it was a SlimProto player, so in theory it could be synchronized.

squeezeslave was command-line only but it was very light on resources (no java, IIRC it was written in some flavour of C) but its development has been stopped and I believe I read that it does not work with recent versions of SlimServer.

Or, and this would have suited me best, does anyone know of any project to create a softsqueeze foobar plugin?

I've never heard of one.

Godskalk
2007-07-25, 14:23
Thanks for your quick answer!

Yes, SlimServer has no control over the software player's buffer, and every player buffers differently.

I can see that this is a reason why they cannot be exactly synchronized, but it should still be possible to make them play the same song at the same time (except a few seconds of buffering), as controlled by the server or the squeezebox, right?

I can of course see that this would be annoying when standing between the kitchen and living room e. g., but still...

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-25, 14:29
Some players buffer a huge amount of data - really, so much that there's no point in synchronizing.

Play an MP3 through SlimServer to foobar. Leave it going for about 30 seconds, then press the stop button on SlimServer. Listen how long it takes before foobar stops playing...

stream.mp3 is a very primitive method of listening to SlimServer.

Godskalk
2007-07-25, 14:44
Ok, thanks again.

Any other suggestions then? Yes, I know, upgrading my pc...

egd
2007-07-25, 15:54
Ok, thanks again.

Any other suggestions then? Yes, I know, upgrading my pc...

Why are you using SoftSqueeze to control your Squeezebox? Sounds to me like what you actually need is another SB3 to listen to your music wherever it is you're using Foobar for playback.

Godskalk
2007-07-25, 16:12
Why are you using SoftSqueeze to control your Squeezebox? Sounds to me like what you actually need is another SB3 to listen to your music wherever it is you're using Foobar for playback.

I'm not using SoftSqueeze to control my squeezebox. What I wish to do is to control the sound playing on both my squeezebox and my pc from the same device, be it either the squeezebox or SlimServer. This is exactly the effect I would get when synchronizing SoftSqueeze to the SqueezeBox, but as I mentioned softsqueeze is not favorable to my pc.

I don't think it should be neccesary to buy another squeezebox when I already own a high quality sound card.

That being said, this is not really a big issue, just a little feature that would be nice.

Godskalk
2007-07-25, 16:45
BTW, sorry for the "thumb down" icon.. I actually thought it was a questionmark! :)
Probably time to lower screen resolution or get some glasses.

awy
2007-09-13, 09:34
There has been a bit of work on squeezeslave recently. You might have more success with the latest binaries from Sourceforge. It is much lighter weight than SoftSqueeze. Use the web interface to control it.

There are lots of issues with synchronization, especially if you want to hear both sets of speakers simultaneously and also with PCs and sound cards. Search the forums for various discussions.

There are also synchronization improvements coming in SlimServer 7 which should address most of these issues.

Alan.