PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox cutting out! HELP!

tday01
2007-07-24, 21:58
My Squeezebox has just started cutting out as if there was a bad network connection when connected to slimserver.

However:

network is running 100% @5kbs
Sqeezenetwork works fine (Pandora)
Buffer shows lowest when streaming (hence cut outs)

Running latest version of slimserver (6.5.4) on intel macpro tower
Forced firmware update (no improvement)
Recent change to router: opened port for bittorrent, changed DNS server

PG&E kindly reset the power 3 times.

Any suggestions very welcome.

Tony

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-25, 06:18
Recent change to router: opened port for bittorrent

There have been reports of routers that can't handle the number of TCP connections bittorrent requires and randomly drop local services as they run out of memory or their ARP tables get corrupted.

There's not too much you can do about this, look for new router firmware or reboot the router when it starts acting up.

tday01
2007-07-25, 08:05
I have the problem when bit torrent is not running, so i don't think that is it.

Also squeeze network works fine.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-25, 08:38
I believe it doesn't matter if bittorrent is running or not, the router tries to maintain a table of recently-used connections and starts dropping or having trouble maintaining contact with others.

I believe forum member snarlydwarf had this problem.

Couldn't you at least try power-cycling the router, use SlimServer a bit, then use bittorrent and see if SlimServer performance degrades?

Anoop M.
2007-07-25, 11:55
Are you connected wireless or wired? If wireless try connecting via Ethernet and see if things get better.

snarlydwarf
2007-07-25, 12:02
I believe it doesn't matter if bittorrent is running or not, the router tries to maintain a table of recently-used connections and starts dropping or having trouble maintaining contact with others.

I believe forum member snarlydwarf had this problem.

Couldn't you at least try power-cycling the router, use SlimServer a bit, then use bittorrent and see if SlimServer performance degrades?

Well it wasn't BT, I only use that to download files from DGMLive (legal, but I'd be broke if I downloaded everything :))

My problem got really nasty when I opened a port to allow http through so I could move a site home. Hardly a high traffic site, but the router seemed to want to maintain state for every connection (which it really shouldn't need to do for passthrough... if the IP/port match, pass it, no need for NAT tables...)

Very odd network failures: Local activity was usually OK, but I could not bring up the router config page. I could SSH home from work, and run VNC... which worked just fine. But Softsqueeze would fail (it would have probably worked fine over an ssh tunnel). I usually couldn't even ping the router when it died. (And, yes, I usually could at least from the home lan...)

Now that my router is a genuine Linux box with plenty of RAM, that doesn't happen. (And it is on anyway, since it is my router, fileserver, music server, web server, etc.)

tday01
2007-07-25, 15:30
I'll try cycling router and if that fails shutting the port and see if that does it when I get home tonight. I'll report back tomorrow.

It is odd that squeeze network has no problem. I hope it is software and not that the multiple power outages fried the buffer.

Tony

tday01
2007-07-25, 18:54
I restarted the router. No joy.
I closed the port triggers that were open for bittorrent and it started working!

Set the bittorrent port under the virtual server tab in my router and now i have the both working.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tony