PDA

View Full Version : Yet another alternative 5V power supply suggestion

queequeg
2007-07-24, 15:40
I've searched the threads for this topic, but cannot find where anyone is using a _modified_ Hosfelt power supply with their SB. IANA engineer, but this unit appears to be reasonably well designed, and, based on datasheet comparisons, should handily outperform the ELPAC. It is easy and inexpensive to upgrade using better quality diodes,resistors, and capacitors. The only special tools needed are a 4mm nut driver and a ~.060in drill bit. Some basic soldering skill required.

It can be found at www.hosfelt.com, part no. 56-534. Mine cost $15.88 including shipping. I've also seen it listed for less on Ebay as a Lexmark printer PS. Total parts cost should be ~$35 including the special tools. I can furnish mod details if anyone is interested and if this topic has not been addressed in a previous thread.

queequeg
2007-08-13, 13:00
So, is it:

a) No one is interested

b) This is a previously flogged dead horse

?

TIA

occam
2007-08-14, 12:04
Do a search (advanced)on 'Hosfelt'
Show Results as - Posts
Search all open forums

and you'll find 19 posts all dealing with this ps
many of the posts on these threads deal with this ps but don't specifically mention Hosfelt

queequeg
2007-08-15, 12:37
Thanks, Occam. I guess I would have to concede that a tutorial on searches is better than seeing that goose egg in the Replies column for another week. Actually, I had hoped for something more like:

"Hey! A _modified_ Hosfelt PS Part #56-534! Sounds interesting! Tell us more!"

Or, alternatively:

"Yo, dumbass! You must be the last schmuck on the planet to find out you can modify a Hosfelt PS Part #56-534 and have a really decent linear PS for a very reasonable price! That's really old news, s---head!"

Or something like that.

dancemanster
2007-10-22, 13:45
Thanks, Occam. I guess I would have to concede that a tutorial on searches is better than seeing that goose egg in the Replies column for another week. Actually, I had hoped for something more like:

"Hey! A _modified_ Hosfelt PS Part #56-534! Sounds interesting! Tell us more!"

Or, alternatively:

"Yo, dumbass! You must be the last schmuck on the planet to find out you can modify a Hosfelt PS Part #56-534 and have a really decent linear PS for a very reasonable price! That's really old news, s---head!"

Or something like that.

I feel you man. Be glad you didn't open that canoworms on the audiophile section like i did. Actually it was a different question i asked but... It does take some time to learn the ropes of searching etc.

Peace