PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 problem running on Apple hardware

duraace
2007-07-24, 11:54
I've done everything I can possibly do to configure the SB to run under MAC OS x using an Airport Extreme router. I have the latest firmware, software, etc. I've tried running it under SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork. Both disconnect suddenly after either a few minutes or within the hour, saying something like "trying to reconnect ...". In between, Internet radio stations will simply just stop, forcing me to press Play again on the remote. Streaming is anything but reliable. I have the router configured for "802.11 b or g" only, and using only 128 WEP. My iMac is the latest 20" Intel model. My internet connection is very fast Cable. I have a few other wireless devices that always work on my network. The SB is the only unreliable device I have. Too bad, because it sounds really good, when its working.

Benway
2007-07-24, 12:54
Try running the network test from the plugins menu on the sb3.

try starting at 64k for 10 minutes and then step up to 128 etc and see how reliable it is.

duraace
2007-07-24, 13:06
Try running the network test from the plugins menu on the sb3.

try starting at 64k for 10 minutes and then step up to 128 etc and see how reliable it is.

It displays xxx kbps 100% Avg 100% right away, all the way up to 5000kbps, where the average drops off.

duraace
2007-07-24, 13:10
I've got it now at 5000kbps == 100% 95%

duraace
2007-07-24, 16:51
I re-ran the network test after several stations would stop within a minute. Around 2000 kbps and up, the % speeds would fluctuate radically. What does this imply?

Anoop M.
2007-07-25, 11:59
I've done everything I can possibly do to configure the SB to run under MAC OS x using an Airport Extreme router. I have the latest firmware, software, etc. I've tried running it under SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork. Both disconnect suddenly after either a few minutes or within the hour, saying something like "trying to reconnect ...". In between, Internet radio stations will simply just stop, forcing me to press Play again on the remote. Streaming is anything but reliable. I have the router configured for "802.11 b or g" only, and using only 128 WEP. My iMac is the latest 20" Intel model. My internet connection is very fast Cable. I have a few other wireless devices that always work on my network. The SB is the only unreliable device I have. Too bad, because it sounds really good, when its working.

Is this a new Airport Extreme N router? If so check this workaround that may help. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4903

duraace
2007-07-25, 12:15
Is this a new Airport Extreme N router? If so check this workaround that may help. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4903

I've already implemented the workaround. As said in the original message, 802.11 a or b only, and WEP 128.

Anoop M.
2007-07-25, 12:27
Have you tried changing your broadcasting channel to see if that makes any difference?

duraace
2007-07-25, 12:33
Have you tried changing your broadcasting channel to see if that makes any difference?

I tried bumping it down to 40 bit WEP. I'm using mac filtering, so I don't have a problem with the security. Should the SB be able to handle 128 WEP 802.11g? It's almost like it can't deal with the overhead.

Anoop M.
2007-07-25, 12:34
I tried bumping it down to 40 bit WEP. I'm using mac filtering, so I don't have a problem with the security. Should the SB be able to handle 128 WEP 802.11g? It's almost like it can't deal with the overhead.

The SB3 can definately handle 128 WEP.

duraace
2007-07-25, 12:49
The SB3 can definately handle 128 WEP.

Since changing to 40 bit, it hasn't stopped yet. I have it on a station that has been quite unreliable. I will let it go, but it has already exceeded previous reliability, but still too early to tell. Will report back.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-25, 12:52
Is there a reason you're using WEP?

WPA or WPA2 are secure provided you use a complex passphrase. WEP is not secure and will only deter accidental connections.

duraace
2007-07-25, 12:58
Is there a reason you're using WEP?

WPA or WPA2 are secure provided you use a complex passphrase. WEP is not secure and will only deter accidental connections.

Yes there is. I started with WPA2, but the SB is incompatible with the new Airport Extreme in anything but "802.11 b or g" and 40 bit WEP. The problem as I suspected is that the SB doesn't work that well with the Airport Extreme. I don't know why Slim Devices doesn't make the SB to work with that specific router. Having to cripple it to make it work doesn't impress me.

danco
2007-07-25, 15:28
I don't know about the newest Airport Extreme.

But my SB runs fine with the older version of Airport Extreme WPA2 and 802.11g only.

Eric Seaberg
2007-07-25, 19:29
I'm running my Extreme-N B/G compatible with WPA encryption without any issues, streaming lossless to my SB3 at almost 1Mbps throughput. It should work, even with the signal strength down to 35 or 40%... I've done it.

What other info can you give us? What's the server running on? Is there a router ahead of the Express or are you using it as a router? How are you distributing DHCP on the Extreme?

danco
2007-07-25, 23:48
Have you tried changing channels? Do you have neighbours whose wi-fi may be interfering with yours? If that's a possibility, you could download iStumbler or Coconut Wifi to check further.

As the previous poster, and SlimDevices, confirm the SB3 does work with the new Airport Extreme. So there must be some problem with your system. Could be the things I have mentioned, could be a faulty SB. We need more information to help further.

duraace
2007-07-27, 12:02
Have you tried changing channels? Do you have neighbours whose wi-fi may be interfering with yours? If that's a possibility, you could download iStumbler or Coconut Wifi to check further.

As the previous poster, and SlimDevices, confirm the SB3 does work with the new Airport Extreme. So there must be some problem with your system. Could be the things I have mentioned, could be a faulty SB. We need more information to help further.

I'm currently running Airport Extreme 802.11 b or g and 40 bit WEP - I also changed channel from Auto to channel 8 - the SB is currently very reliable, compared to previously. Since I noticed a difference with the new channel, I'll switch back to WPA2, and report back on what happens.

duraace
2007-07-27, 12:28
Well this is really strange. I switched the Airport Extreme back to 802.11n (b or g compatible), and picked WPA/WP2 encryption. Touch wood, the SB appears to be working very smoothly and reliably on Internet Radio. The only difference between now and before, when it was very UN-reliable, is that instead of using Auto Channel (it picked channel 1), I have it set to Channel 8. Could that really have made such a big difference? Time will tell, but the remote doesn't hang when interacting with it, stations aren't suddenly stopping, etc. Time will tell.

Siduhe
2007-07-27, 14:58
Could that really have made such a big difference?

Yep, particularly if you are in a built up area with lots of wi-fi networks. I remember the day my neighbour one floor up got a (then very new) pre-n router and totally wiped out my network for over two weeks before I worked out what was going on. Only by changing to a non-overlapping channel could I get any kind of wi-fi reception.

duraace
2007-07-29, 17:40
After running Airport Extreme N (b or g compatible) and WPA2 encryption for awhile without any problems, I have to conclude the very adverse problems I was having appear to have been caused by having channels set to Auto (defaulted to 1). It's now set to channel 8, and the SB is running uninterrupted. Fingers crossed.

Eric Seaberg
2007-07-30, 07:59
THe best channels to start with will be 1, 6 or 11 because they have the least amount of overlap to any other channel. Try going to '11' and see what happens... or down to '6'. I have two separte networks in my house, one at 11 and the other at 6 both with different SSIDs doing different things. No interference or problems at all.

Glad it's working for ya!!

duraace
2007-07-30, 10:13
THe best channels to start with will be 1, 6 or 11 because they have the least amount of overlap to any other channel. Try going to '11' and see what happens... or down to '6'. I have two separte networks in my house, one at 11 and the other at 6 both with different SSIDs doing different things. No interference or problems at all.

Glad it's working for ya!!

Thanks. I just picked 8 randomly. I'm not having any problems, but I'll switch to 11 if that's optimal and report back. Thanks again.

danco
2007-07-30, 13:36
To be precise, it depends where you are. I think that in the USA there are only channels 1 to 11, but in Europe (at least the UK) there are 1 to 13.

duraace
2007-07-30, 14:13
Im in Canada, so 1 to 11. It's very reliable, so I'll leave it on 11. Interestingly, the original channel was defaulted to 1 or "Auto". I had so many problems, it was driving me crazy. The remote was hanging, while using it. The SB would turn off, loose connection to SlimServer and SqueezeNetwork. Stations would frequently re-buffer or simply stop, often after 1 minute. Now it works as expected! I'm assuming that was the problem, because everything else is set to defaults (802.11n b/g compatible), except it's hard set to WPA/WPA2.