PDA

View Full Version : Installing SS in pclinuxos

kegsy1
2007-07-23, 01:50
I've just installed PCLINUXOS on my computer and want to get Slim Server up and running. The download screen on the support tab defaults to the Ubuntu version. Assuming this was correct I followed the instructions but it didn't work. Should I use a different download or are there some changes I need to make to the Ubuntu instructions to make everything work for PCLINUXOS?

HoZ
2007-07-24, 17:25
Congrats on selecting PCLinuxOS, by far my favorite distro. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to install Slimserver without using the command line, as Slimserver is not yet available from the PCLinuxOS repositories.
First, download the RPM package to a location of your choosing (such as your desktop).
Next, open a terminal (I use Konsole), and switch to "root" using the su command.
Install Slimserver with the following command:
rpm -vh /home/username/Desktop/SlimServer_v6.5.3.noarch.rpm

Hopefully, everything will work fine.

You can start and stop the Slimserver service by opening the PCLinuxOS Control Center - System Tab - Services Icon (lightswitch), and scrolling down until you see slimserver listed.

If all this is more than you want to attempt, you can always submit a package request on the PCLinuxOS forums to have Slimserver added to the repos. Then it's just point and click.

Hope that helps.

kegsy1
2007-07-27, 20:03
Thx Hoz and I'm so far loving PCLinuxOS. I had SlimServer running ok under Ubuntu and now that I've converted to PCLOS I'm really keen to get it up and running under this distro too.

I followed your instructions and downloaded the RPM to my desktop then used Konsole but when I entered the suggested string, RPM returns an error "rpm: --hash (-h) may only be specified during package installation".

Do you have any thoughts as to what might be causing this. From what little I understand about the -vh switches these tell RPM to use verbose mode and use hash characters during installation. So I tried without using them and then just got what looked to be the RPM help text scroll up the screen.

HoZ
2007-07-28, 06:50
Sorry kegsy1,
small error (typo) on my part.
try rpm -ivh /path/to/your/file.rpm

-i installs packages. If you were doing an upgrade instead, you would use -U rather than -i.

kegsy1
2007-07-28, 23:39
Hoz as always it would seem that the devil is in the detail!

I seem to have managed to install SlimServer using the -ivh command and with your help I think I'm a step closer.

When I went into the Control Centre Services to start SlimServer I got an error relating to MySQL and a quick check of Synaptic showed it wasn't installed so I checked it for install. After a system reboot I went to Firefox and entered "HTTP://Localhost:9000/" but got an error saying it was unable to connect and that it couldn't establish a connection to the server.

I looked at the Services again and noted that SlimServer was running but MySQL was showing as "Stopped" and I couldn't manually start it. When I clicked on the Start button a box comes up saying Shutting down MySQL [OK] and Starting MySQL [OK] but the status doesn't change from "Stopped".

I really appreciate the help your providing and hope that we might still be able to get this this thing up and going.

Regards
Kegsy

HoZ
2007-07-29, 10:46
Kegsy,
I'm not so sure your problem is with MySQL server. Slimserver does not require the MySQL server package from Synaptic. The only MySQL related packages that I have installed (aside from the associated libraries) are MySQL-client, MySQL-common, and perl-DBD-MySQL.
It's been quite awhile ago that I actually installed Slimserver, but I don't recall having this issue. I am currently using an older slimserver version, however.

Edit:
Actually it appears that the only dependencies for slimserver are:
perl 5.8.1 or greater
perl-XML-Parser
perl-Digest-SHA1
Do you have these installed?

kegsy1
2007-07-29, 19:05
Yes Hoz I have all three installed.

HoZ
2007-07-29, 20:42
Kegsy, I'm afraid that I have bad news. I grabbed my laptop (which is running PCLOS 2007, but not Slimserver), and tried to install Slimserver on it. I did experience the same MySQL error msg you mentioned. This is because the afore-mentioned MySQL packages were not installed. I open Synaptic and installed them.
I then attempted to restart the service and received another error. Evidently, the perl modules needed to be built. Using the command provided in the error message, I then proceeded to try build the modules. The build process, however, fails. Fortunately, the screen output during the build process provides a further list of dependencies. Unfortunately, even with these packages installed, I cannot get the perl modules successfully built. I am not sure why.
Honestly, I think your best bet is going to be to post a package request on the PCLOS forum. They have a special place for this. Please read Texstar's post (stickied near the top of the package request forum) about how to go about the process.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

kegsy1
2007-08-03, 00:50
Hoz thank yo so much for all the help. I tried using the PCLOS forum as suggested but couldn't find any link or reference to "requesting a package" so submitted a post.

Sadly the response from the moderator for the software forum was to tell me to read theforum "rules" before making any posts (which I had done) and search first (which I had also done).

Fortunately another member provided me with 2 links, one to the "rules" (which I had already read) and another to the wiki for new users. On the wiki page it had a link to the "package request form" which low and behold results in an error "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." when followed. So sadly I'm none the wiser for the experience :(

I can only assume that SlimServer currently won't work under PCLOS2007 and I guess to get my Slim Devices working again I have no alternative but to go back to Ubuntu.

Once again thanks for taking the time to try and help me.

HoZ
2007-08-05, 20:26
Kegsy,
The forum for package suggestions is only available if you are registered and signed into the forum. Non-members cannot access this feature on the PCLOS forum.

kegsy1
2007-08-07, 02:29
Yep thanks HoZ - After getting a bit of a belting by the forum moderator - the forum gave me some links and also the advice that even as a member you have to have posted at least 10 times before you qualify to make any suggestions.

It all started to get a bit unfriendly so I deleted my original post and left. I've read everything on the Slim Devices wiki that seems somehow relevant to making this thing work properly under PCLOS and even found some "required" packages that I hadn't installed but have hit the impasse. There is still something to do with something called YAML and sadly the error msg that might point me in the right direction (in the Admin Centre) is useless as it gets cropped.

Anyway there are more important things in life and so I'll probably crawl back to Ubuntu and XP and write this down to experience.

jimflanagan
2007-08-21, 06:37
If there is no rpm package available for your distro, you should be able
to make your own rpm. There are several ways to do this, but the easiest
way I have found is to use a program called 'checkinstall'. This will
make an rpm that you will install on your system. The upside of using
checkinstall is that the rpm will be taylor made for your system. The
downside is that it will not necesicarially be optimized for other
systems, so this is not the best tool for making an rpm for general
distribution. But for an easy way to make an rpm for your own system,
this is it.

Down load the source code for slimserver (tar.gz). You will use that
code to make your own rpm with 'checkinstall'. Then you will install
that rpm. That should work, assuming pclinuxos is rpm based.

I'm not sure of the details of using this in pclinuxos, but here is a
good how-to for Suse.
http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Building_Simple_RPMs

I just did a quick google, and found this article for pclinuxos.
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/HowToInstallSoftware

Hope this helps.

Jim F

kegsy1 wrote:
> Yep thanks HoZ - After getting a bit of a belting by the forum moderator
> - the forum gave me some links and also the advice that even as a member
> you have to have posted at least 10 times before you qualify to make any
> suggestions.
>
> It all started to get a bit unfriendly so I deleted my original post
> and left. I've read everything on the Slim Devices wiki that seems
> somehow relevant to making this thing work properly under PCLOS and
> even found some "required" packages that I hadn't installed but have
> hit the impasse. There is still something to do with something called
> YAML and sadly the error msg that might point me in the right direction
> (in the Admin Centre) is useless as it gets cropped.
>
> Anyway there are more important things in life and so I'll probably
> crawl back to Ubuntu and XP and write this down to experience.
>
>
>