PDA

View Full Version : No wireless after Firmware-update

fava
2007-07-22, 08:31
Hello,

Squeezbox forced me to an Firmware-Update (it's version 72 now).
Now, Squeezbox can't connect to the wireless network anymore - no settings have been changed, the Router was not touched...
Ethernet still works fine...

I use WPA2-Personal - as before update - but even without encryption squeezbox does not finde the wireless anymore...

Note that "Current settings" indicates Wirless strength to be 0%...
even just beside the router... and as I told you, it worked fine before and the router was not touched...

Is there a bug in the firmware?

Any idea? Fabio

Furry
2007-07-23, 10:37
I've found that when I change from the SlimServer running on my laptop (v6.5.3) to that running on my QNAP (v6.5.1), the SB3 firmware gets downgraded from 81 to 72.

The SB3 then needs me to take it through the full wireless setup, including telling it its in Europe and re-entering the WPA key etc. It doesn't just re-connect. To start this setup, hold down the < key on the SB3 remote.

Going the other way, from 72 to 81, I don't think I have to do this.

HTH,
Dave.

msherman
2007-07-23, 10:54
Furry wrote:
> I've found that when I change from the SlimServer running on my laptop
> (v6.5.3) to that running on my QNAP (v6.5.1), the SB3 firmware gets
> downgraded from 81 to 72.
>
> The SB3 then needs me to take it through the full wireless setup,
> including telling it its in Europe and re-entering the WPA key etc. It
> doesn't just re-connect. To start this setup, hold down the < key on
> the SB3 remote.
>
> Going the other way, from 72 to 81, I don't think I have to do this.

It's pretty common for downgrades of any software to be much less
seamless than upgrades. When writing the new version, the author has
full knowledge of how the older version stored its configuration data.
The converse, on the other hand, is not true, because the new version
does not yet exist when the old version is being written. As a result,
when downgrading, the safest thing to do is throw away all stored config
and start from scratch.

- Marc

fava
2007-07-23, 11:33
I did not realize that it was a downgrade...

Of corse I did the setup again - SB3 foreced me to do it...

But the connection fails... and if I have a look to the menu "current settings", it indicates "wireless strength 0%" And of corse, it did not help to shut down all security and passwords...

Fabio

fava
2007-07-23, 12:29
Would it be possible to copy the new firmware (81) in the slimservers firmware-directory and to do an firmware-upgrade thereafter? Is the 81 firmware compatible with the slimserver 6.5.1?

Fabio

bonze
2007-07-23, 15:03
Would it be possible to copy the new firmware (81) in the slimservers firmware-directory and to do an firmware-upgrade thereafter? Is the 81 firmware compatible with the slimserver 6.5.1?

Fabio
81 works OK with 6.5.1.
The file squeezebox2.version will need to be updated also.
Either copy from a later version or edit the file to change every occurance of 72 to 81.

Furry
2007-07-24, 11:20
81 works OK with 6.5.1.
The file squeezebox2.version will need to be updated also.
Either copy from a later version or edit the file to change every occurance of 72 to 81.

Thanks, I didn't know that v81 would work OK with v6.5.1, so I've just done this change.

Interesting that it's squeezebox2.version, not squeezebox3.version, though I'm sure this has been noticed before.

Dave.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-24, 11:28
Interesting that it's squeezebox2.version, not squeezebox3.version, though I'm sure this has been noticed before.

Squeezebox2 and Squeezebox v3 use the same firmware and are more or less identical internally.

SlimServer can't tell them apart - the only way to do this would be to sort by MAC address.

fava
2007-07-25, 07:55
Thankyou,

I have tried to "force" update to 81 this way, but with slimserver 6.5.1 SB3 says "Problem: Firmwareupdate failed"...

So I'm still on wires...

Fabio