PDA

View Full Version : SB3 thoughts/review

markwm
2007-07-20, 05:56
Got my squeezebox this week and thought I'd provide a little summary of thoughts..

My previous setup was a HTPC running iTunes & Apple Lossless files. I used an RME HDSP9632 Hammerfall soundcard analogue out into a Rotel RA-02 and BMW DM602 speakers S3 speakers. I controlled this system using a Loox PDA running Netremote. It sounded fantastic but I had numerous headaches with the wifi connection and windows. Everytime It won't wrong I had to disconnect it all and hook up it to a monitor keyboard to fix it.

So I decided to sell it and buy a Squeezebox and use an old server next to the fridge to serve my lossless files.

I decided to go with the SB3 over the Sonus for numerous reasons:

- Price
- Sonos requires 1 unit to be wired!!!
- Sonus has been out a long time without a hardware revision
- Squeezebox can be controlled by any web enabled device

I would have prefered the silver/black SB3 but here in the UK I could only seem to get hold of the all black version. It arrived with logitech branding, bit dissapointing given logitech isn't exactly a respected HIFI brand and the logo is a bit Pischer Price. I would prefer to see a more professional, subtle logo.

I already had slim server installed on my server so once I plugged in the SB3 setup was a breeze. I turned up the volume on my amp and played my first track not realizing the SB3 default volume is 50%(why?).

The device is great. At the moment I'm just using the analogue outs as I haven't yet chosen a DAC but the sound is decent and I could probably live with it. I miss having a software EQ though, I know there's a plugin but I had some problems with that and Apple Lossless. I would like to see an EQ built into future versions of slim server.

The single line display works great for the most part. Scrolling could be faster and I do have a problem with the Now Playing screen. If I choose Browse > Albums > Yeild > Brain of JFK and then play. When the now playing screen comes up I can't seem to get back to Yeild song list very easily and have to go through the browse process again?

I've been controlling the SB3 via my iMac, the remote and my PDA. All work great although it is a bit weird controlling music with a web page, pages reloading etc. If there was a software version or flash version of slim server it would be great. I don't like how when you choose a track to play in slimserver it will not play the rest of the album but it will do if you choose the same track via the SB3 itself.

Overall, it's a great product. I'd be great to see a remote with a screen for SB4, better slim server interface.

aubuti
2007-07-20, 06:11
If there was a software version or flash version of slim server it would be great.
There is a user-developed Flash-based skin that is quite snappy. It's still a work in progress, but I think you'll like it better than the default skin. Search the forums for "slimfx" and you'll find it.

Skittler
2007-07-20, 06:22
"I can't seem to get back to Yeild song list very easily"

From Now Playing, hit the right arrow.
This gives you access to information about the current song which you can scroll through using the up/down arrows.
When you get to Artist: Yeild then you can hit the right arrow which effectively puts you where you would be if you'd gone through all the original browsing/searching that you did to get to that Artist in the first place.

I often use this facility with RandomMix. I frequently think "Oh, I haven't heard that for ages, what was that other great track from that album?", so I hit right & down to get to the "Album" info, then select that other great track, press and hold Add to insert into the playlist immediately next, and there you go. I get my 'great track' lined up next, then it returns to Random Mix. Lovely stuff.

mherger
2007-07-20, 06:24
> The single line display works great for the most part. Scrolling could
> be faster and I do have a problem with the Now Playing screen. If I
> choose Browse > Albums > Yeild > Brain of JFK and then play. When the
> now playing screen comes up I can't seem to get back to Yeild song list
> very easily and have to go through the browse process again?

There's a "Now playing (Jump back)" or similar screensaver - use this
instead. It will bring you back to where the screensaver kicked in.

Or use my MusicInfoSCR screensaver giving you this and many more options
;-)
http://www.herger.net/MusicInfoSCR

> I've been controlling the SB3 via my iMac, the remote and my PDA. All
> work great although it is a bit weird controlling music with a web
> page, pages reloading etc. If there was a software version or flash
> version of slim server it would be great.

We're working on minimizing the full page reloads for SlimServer 7. The
most advanced skin in this regard probably are Nokia770 (tablet style) or
Fishbone (large screen).

For a flash based skin, search the forums for SlimFX.

> choose a track to play in slimserver it will not play the rest of the
> album but it will do if you choose the same track via the SB3 itself.

Correct, that's a UI inconsistency.

Michael