PDA

View Full Version : Music recommendation engine for Slimserver

agentsmith
2007-07-19, 23:35
I have forever been searching for music recommendation engine for my Slim rig. MuscIP looked very promising and I ended up purchasing the full version.

However, the product itself is buggy, takes days to reindex, takes up huge amount of system resource, and does not work 90% of the time.

Does anyone know of a product similar to MusicIP that would make recommendation/playlist of your own music collection based on your musical taste?

Or better still, does anyone know how to MusicIP work at least 90% of the time? Including the "Send to Slimserver" function from the MusicIP Interface?

cherise
2007-07-20, 00:54
I've been using MusicIP for well over a year with no problems. Try the headless version (sorry - no longer have the link) and also archive analysis into tags - you can do that either when first indexing new music by setting a general preference or as a post-process by right clicking one or a selection of already-indexed tracks in the MIP GUI - that way there's no need to reindex. (AFAIK it writes an additional tag/s with the ID of the track). I have c15000 tracks and use MusicIP most days - really opened up my music collection.

Cherise.

agentsmith
2007-07-20, 01:05
I've been using MusicIP for well over a year with no problems. Try the headless version (sorry - no longer have the link) and also archive analysis into tags - you can do that either when first indexing new music by setting a general preference or as a post-process by right clicking one or a selection of already-indexed tracks in the MIP GUI - that way there's no need to reindex. (AFAIK it writes an additional tag/s with the ID of the track). I have c15000 tracks and use MusicIP most days - really opened up my music collection.

Cherise.

thanks for the tips will try them when I get home.

But dont you have problem with the "send to Slimserver" function? I have never been able to get that working, and the answer from MusicIP has always been known bug, no fix.

Wirrunna
2007-07-20, 03:20
I too purchased the full version of MusicIP after trying the free version for a month. The $20 nearly broke me.
Rather than make a mix in MusicIP, I generate mixes with the Slim remote control and play them immediately and rarely save the mix, instead I just make another using a another seed track and play it.
As Cherise suggests, archive the analysis, it really speeds up MusicIP's analyis process.

Siduhe
2007-07-20, 03:39
But dont you have problem with the "send to Slimserver" function? I have never been able to get that working, and the answer from MusicIP has always been known bug, no fix.

"Send to Slimserver" works fine for me running MIP headless (but opening up the GUI to perform the "send"), but I very rarely need to use it because I kick off all my mixes via Slimserver.

The only time I seem to recall having a problem with the "send to" was when Slimserver was running on a different box than MIP. Is that your setup?

egd
2007-07-20, 04:05
Have a look at http://www.musicip.com/mixer/commandline.jsp

Basically, you can solve your problem by adding -slim to the MIP commnd line. Also make sure slimserver is running prior to executing MIP.

Have to agree wholeheartedly re MIP though - apart from the acoustic analysis engine the program is a buggy piece of crap.

mherger
2007-07-20, 04:17
> Basically, you can solve your problem by adding -slim to the MIP commnd
> line. Also make sure slimserver is running prior to executing MIP.

I'd say you'll have to start MIP _before_ slimserver if you want to use it
from the Squeezebox's interface.

Michael

hunta
2007-07-20, 05:19
If you're looking for something to broaden your horizons, rather than work off your current collection, take a look at something along the lines of last.fm.

lrossouw
2007-07-20, 08:02
If you're looking for something to broaden your horizons, rather than work off your current collection, take a look at something along the lines of last.fm.

i would add the last.fm/scrobler plugins when using last.fm.

agentsmith
2007-07-21, 06:44
"Send To" - "SlimServer" is still not working, 99% it gives me "Error sending playlist to player". Even when it works, only the first song on the list is sent. This error has happened with all PCs and Slimserver versions I tried, from WIndows XP PC to Vista PC.

Also, MusicIP server does not work in Windows Vista, headless or from command. I managed to hoax it into working by giving MusicMagicServer a dummy parameter, e.g. musicmagicserver /?

egd
2007-07-21, 17:34
"Send To" - "SlimServer" is still not working, 99% it gives me "Error sending playlist to player". Even when it works, only the first song on the list is sent. This error has happened with all PCs and Slimserver versions I tried, from WIndows XP PC to Vista PC.

Is your slimserver configured to startup automatically?

Am I correct in assuming that you have added the -slim parameter to your MIP startup link and that since doing this the option to send playlists to slimserver now appears in MIP?

agentsmith
2007-07-22, 05:18
Yes currently SlimServer configured to start automatically as a service. However in my older PC it was run as a command line and started on demand.

Yes I tried starting MusicMagicMixer using the -slim option.

Is your slimserver configured to startup automatically?

Am I correct in assuming that you have added the -slim parameter to your MIP startup link and that since doing this the option to send playlists to slimserver now appears in MIP?

egd
2007-07-22, 06:21
Yes I tried starting MusicMagicMixer using the -slim option.Is it since doing this that the option to send playlists to slimserver now appears in MIP?

agentsmith
2007-07-22, 08:32
Is it since doing this that the option to send playlists to slimserver now appears in MIP?

Yes the option to send to slimserver is there. But it has been there all along. It is just that I can only send it once, it gives me an error after the first Send command. Also, only the first song in the list gets sent.

egd
2007-07-25, 15:57
Yes the option to send to slimserver is there. But it has been there all along. It is just that I can only send it once, it gives me an error after the first Send command. Also, only the first song in the list gets sent.

Have a look at the MIP forum, if my memory serves me correctly there was some discussion of this problem and its resolution a while back.

agentsmith
2007-07-26, 17:47
Have a look at the MIP forum, if my memory serves me correctly there was some discussion of this problem and its resolution a while back.

I have checked and had submitted a complaint a while ago. The reply from their staff has always been that they know about the problem but was not doing anything about it.

Something like this thread
http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showtopic=2407

I have tried many different PCs, Windows versions, MusicIP and Slimserver versions with the exact same results. So I would be very interested in knowing what and how other Slim+MusicIP users did to overcome this problem. Are they are simply not using the SendTo feature? Or did they find a workaround?

egd
2007-07-26, 20:20
I have tried many different PCs, Windows versions, MusicIP and Slimserver versions with the exact same results. So I would be very interested in knowing what and how other Slim+MusicIP users did to overcome this problem. Are they are simply not using the SendTo feature? Or did they find a workaround?

I'm using the send to feature without any issues. The issue I had (which the -slim parameter resolved) was that slimserver wouldn't appear in the send to menu. I'll give this a spin on my windows box and see if I can find anything that may be of use to you - I vaguely remember having the same issue on my windows box, but this has not been the case on my linux box, which is for all intents and purposes my primary desktop

agentsmith
2007-07-27, 03:57
I'm using the send to feature without any issues. The issue I had (which the -slim parameter resolved) was that slimserver wouldn't appear in the send to menu. I'll give this a spin on my windows box and see if I can find anything that may be of use to you - I vaguely remember having the same issue on my windows box, but this has not been the case on my linux box, which is for all intents and purposes my primary desktop

Thanks sir

stevek1006
2007-07-27, 10:33
I'm using the send to feature without any issues. The issue I had (which the -slim parameter resolved) was that slimserver wouldn't appear in the send to menu.

I am using the Send To feature on a WinXP box without any problems.

agentsmith
2007-07-27, 16:27
I am using the Send To feature on a WinXP box without any problems.

hmm, you guys must have done something right. I have installed this many timeson different PCs and it never worked ked

egd
2007-07-29, 01:40
if it makes you feel any better I've just rebuilt my windoze slimserver library and tried to send a playlist to slimserver - no error messages, no tracks in slimserver, no nothing...

i can't help but think that other than the acoustic analysis routines, mip is inherently crap. it's time a decent mip front end was developed via their sdk.