PDA

View Full Version : My squeezebox is STILL acting up.

gdg
2007-07-19, 17:28
I posted a problem a few days ago regarding the fact that, recently , and intermittent problem has developed where a song will, for no reason and right in the middle, restart. (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=215337#post215337)

The problem is persisting and is becoming annoying. Today a song restarted during play and another completely disconnected. I've checked my Task Manager and it doesn't appear that my system is being taxed by any other running processes. The fact that today my squeezebox disconnected while playing suggests an issue on the Slimserver side. I've checked with my cable provider and there are no issues with the overloaded bandwidth in my neighborhood nor are there any issues with my connection. Is this something anyone else is experiencing?

gdg
2007-07-20, 03:12
A song just restarted and, upon checking, noticed that the CPU usage had spiked at the same time. It prompted me to do a little experimentation and I noticed that each time a new song started the CPU usage spiked to 70%-90%. Is that normal and why would I have be suddenly experiencing this problem after two years. I did recently pick up virus but with the help of my local cable service rooted it out and fresh scans show my computer is clean. This is really starting to piss me off.

bpa
2007-07-20, 03:59
I think your system is XP - what are the specs of the system: memory, CPU and speed ?

A good way to see what is using up CPU ( or disk or memory) is to use ProcessExplorer ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.mspx )

Run ProcessExplorer and open display of CPU graphs (Performance or System Info I think). Use Slimserver as normal but next time the restart happens - look at the ProcessExplorere graphs - if there is a peak in some or all of the graphs - move the mouse to the peak and it will show which process is causing the peak.

gdg
2007-07-20, 21:24
AMD Athalon 64 Processor 3000+
1.79 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
200 Gig Hard Drive (90 Gigs free)
Squeezebox is HARDWIRED.
Music is archived in iTunes using Apple Lossless.

gdg
2007-07-20, 21:28
I now have a new problem. The Squeezebox connection is "timing out". I got frustrated with the problem an phoned tech support and they suggested that my CPU might be getting overloaded by a combination of Apple Lossless decompression and the hourly Itune rescan. I reset the rescan for every 10 hours instead of 1 but now this other issue has come up. Right in the middle of a playing session the Squeezebox has cut out with the message "Connection has timed out". What the hell does that mean? That has nothing to do with CPU usage does it? Man this totally sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gdg
2007-07-21, 01:39
All of a sudden a squeezebox, that has worked fine for 2 years, starts "timing out" and disconnecting and no one can give a hint why. F^&*()!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bpa
2007-07-21, 01:52
If something in your network has developed a fault (e.g. your router, network cable, PC network interface) then you could get connection timeout.

Check your PC network statistics to see if there is an unusual value for those counters related to network errors such as Retries and Timeouts.

It is also possible that connection timeout is CPU related if there is a bad driver or application that is hogging the CPU and preventing Slimserver responding.

Do you get any of these errors when connected to Squeezenetwork - if Squeezebox work OK with Squeezenetwork - then it looks likely to be PC related.

Robin Bowes
2007-07-21, 02:01
gdg wrote:
> All of a sudden a squeezebox, that has worked fine for 2 years, starts
> "timing out" and disconnecting and no one can give a hint why.
> F^&*()!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were given several hints in replies to your original post, but you
don't seem to have responded to them.

*Something* has changed recently with your setup, but you don't know what.

However, I'm not going to guess at what could be the problem when I
don't know anything about your setup and you don't seem to have replied
to requests for this information.

R.

gdg
2007-07-21, 04:21
gdg wrote:
> All of a sudden a squeezebox, that has worked fine for 2 years, starts
> "timing out" and disconnecting and no one can give a hint why.
> F^&*()!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You were given several hints in replies to your original post, but you
don't seem to have responded to them.

*Something* has changed recently with your setup, but you don't know what.

However, I'm not going to guess at what could be the problem when I
don't know anything about your setup and you don't seem to have replied
to requests for this information.

R.

I acted on the hints that were specific enough to act on ie updated Quicktime, tried looking into the task manager, tried using the process explorer etc etc.
My system info is posted about 5 posts back (once I figured out how to get it). I've also gone back and added info that I provided before as well.

gdg
2007-07-21, 04:29
If something in your network has developed a fault (e.g. your router, network cable, PC network interface) then you could get connection timeout.

Check your PC network statistics to see if there is an unusual value for those counters related to network errors such as Retries and Timeouts.

It is also possible that connection timeout is CPU related if there is a bad driver or application that is hogging the CPU and preventing Slimserver responding.

Do you get any of these errors when connected to Squeezenetwork - if Squeezebox work OK with Squeezenetwork - then it looks likely to be PC related.

The timeouts and restarts are very intermittent and only occur about once every hour or so. Could that be a connection or router issue? On the other hand I can't locate an application that is kicking in and tying up the CPU. I can't seem to make heads or tails of the info provided by the "ProcessExplorer" that BPA kindly provided to me. Sure it tells me what processes were being used when I click on CPU spikes but they mean nothing to me...some I recognize and some I don't. I have no idea how to trouble shoot the one's that I don't.

As for PC network stats... I have no idea where to get these.

bpa
2007-07-21, 06:16
You may have more than one issues, so I think it is best to deal with one issue at a time. First - check out the possibility of the CPU spike.

In the ProcessExplorer display with the CPU graph. The graph shows CPU load - I think the problem would show as a sustained high value probably a longish rounded curve rather than a short spike. If you just move the cursor without clicking to the curve at its peak - text should appear giving some info about the process. For example, if it is slimserver then you will see some numbers and SLIM.EXE in the middle, if it was the scanner the name SCANNER.EXE will be in the text.

What is the name of the file associated with your CPU load peak ? Copy all the text if you are not sure.

Separately, you could use your SB with Squeezenetwork for a good period of time (e.g. a few hours) - if you experience no problems, then your PC is probably the source. If you experience some problems on Squeezenetwork then something in your network probably has a fault.

pfarrell
2007-07-21, 06:32
bpa wrote:
> If something in your network has developed a fault (e.g. your router,
> network cable, PC network interface) then you could get connection
> timeout.

It is also possible (likely depending on where you live) that a neighbor
added a wireless box and it is causing congestion.

My daughter moved into an apartment building and had a choice of 11 WiFi
access points.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Robin Bowes
2007-07-21, 07:52
gdg wrote:

> My system info is posted about 3 posts back.
>

You said:

> AMD Athalon 64 Processor 3000+
> 1.79 GHz
> 1.00 GB of RAM
> 200 Gig Hard Drive (90 Gigs free)

All I can tell from that is that you should be OK for processing power
and memory.

It doesn't tell me:

1. What O/S and version of you are using
2. What version of slimserver you are running
3. How you're starting slimserver
4. What model of SB you are using?
5. Whether you're connecting wired or wirelessly
6. Whether you're using static IP or DHCP

R.

duraace
2007-07-21, 10:32
I've experienced the same "acting up" on my 20" Intel iMac, running the latest everything. I've noticed that when Internet Radio connections just stop, or music streamed from the computer restarts for no reason, etc., I can clear things up by stopping and re-starting the SlimServer service on the computer. Clearly something is not right in the code. The Squeezebox should be more reliable than this.

gdg
2007-07-21, 15:45
gdg wrote:

> My system info is posted about 3 posts back.
>

You said:

> AMD Athalon 64 Processor 3000+
> 1.79 GHz
> 1.00 GB of RAM
> 200 Gig Hard Drive (90 Gigs free)

All I can tell from that is that you should be OK for processing power
and memory.

It doesn't tell me:

1. What O/S and version of you are using
2. What version of slimserver you are running
3. How you're starting slimserver
4. What model of SB you are using?
5. Whether you're connecting wired or wirelessly
6. Whether you're using static IP or DHCP

R.

I've answered all the questions that have been asked (#1,2,4,5) in earlier posts (here and on the previous thread).
1) Windows XP (version 5.1 service pac 2) What difference does the version make? It's a standard operating system used by millions which has served me fine for 2 years.
2) Slimserver 6.5.2
3) I assume Slimserver starts when I start up the SB. Again what possible differenc does this make? I've been using the box for 2 years the same way with no problem.
4) Squeezebox 2
5) Wired (which I've stated about half a dozen times)
6) As I understand it my IP address is dynamic (changes periodically) but the point is moot since I'm streaming music from my SB.

gdg
2007-07-21, 15:47
bpa wrote:
> If something in your network has developed a fault (e.g. your router,
> network cable, PC network interface) then you could get connection
> timeout.

It is also possible (likely depending on where you live) that a neighbor
added a wireless box and it is causing congestion.

My daughter moved into an apartment building and had a choice of 11 WiFi
access points.

--
Pat

I have a hard wired connection to avoid that very type of issue.

Robin Bowes
2007-07-21, 16:07
gdg wrote:
> Robin Bowes;216131 Wrote:
>> gdg wrote:
>>
>>> My system info is posted about 3 posts back.
>>>
>> You said:
>>
>>> AMD Athalon 64 Processor 3000+
>>> 1.79 GHz
>>> 1.00 GB of RAM
>>> 200 Gig Hard Drive (90 Gigs free)
>> All I can tell from that is that you should be OK for processing power
>> and memory.
>>
>> It doesn't tell me:
>>
>> 1. What O/S and version of you are using
>> 2. What version of slimserver you are running
>> 3. How you're starting slimserver
>> 4. What model of SB you are using?
>> 5. Whether you're connecting wired or wirelessly
>> 6. Whether you're using static IP or DHCP
>>
>> R.
>
> I've answered all the questions that have been asked (#1,2,4,5) in
> earlier posts (here and on the previous thread).
> 1) Windows XP (version 5.1 service pac 2) What difference does the
> version make? It's a standard operating system used by millions which
> has served me fine for 2 years.
> 2) Slimserver 6.5.2
> 3) I assume Slimserver starts when I start up the SB. Again what
> possible differenc does this make? I've been using the box for 2 years
> the same way with no problem.
> 4) Squeezebox 2
> 5) Wired (which I've stated about half a dozen times)
> 6) As I understand it my IP address is dynamic (changes periodically)
> but the point is moot since I'm streaming music from my SB.

I'm sorry if I haven't managed to read every post you've ever made on
these forums to glean all required information.

As you obviously know all there is to know about the subject you won't
be needing my help.

Hope you fix it.

R.

pfarrell
2007-07-21, 16:15
gdg wrote:

This is a dangerous assumption. The SqueezeBox is a client. It can not
control application software on your Mac. The SlimServer has to be
running first. (aside: it is very bad practice to let an external thing
(computer, device, etc.) execute an application on a computer. This is
how the worst of security problem occur)

I see no evidence to isolate whether it is a SqueezeBox, network, or
Slimserver problem.

Something has changed. You need to isolate the problem so you can find
the cause. But you seem to be sure, so I'll step out of the way.

--
Pat

bpa
2007-07-21, 16:35
gdg wrote:

There has been a recent bug (5164) with a new version of socketwrapper in 5.6.3 which will lock up all the user windows of single core system but only when Slimserver is run by the user at login/on request and not at system startup - so the question of CPU type and how slimserver is run is very pertinent.

gdg
2007-07-22, 17:09
As you obviously know all there is to know about the subject you won't
be needing my help.

Hope you fix it.

R.

In a transparent effort to blame me for the fact that I haven't been able to resolve this issue you accused me of not following up on suggestions and answering requests for info. Now, in light of evidence that you are full of $^!t you are going to accuse me of "knowing it all"? You obviously don't have anything to offer and don't like not being able to play the big shot. How about kissing my Azz.

gdg
2007-07-22, 17:21
This is a dangerous assumption. The SqueezeBox is a client. It can not
control application software on your Mac. The SlimServer has to be
running first. (aside: it is very bad practice to let an external thing
(computer, device, etc.) execute an application on a computer. This is
how the worst of security problem occur)
I'll say it once again, I have a PC and a HARDWIRED SB. How can a hardwired SB pose any kind of security risk? Further more I'm using the SB exactly the way it was designed to be used (to interface with my PC) with the Slimserver starting (when it's working properly) on computer boot up. If this is an issue take it up with Logitech, not me.

pfarrell
2007-07-22, 17:31
gdg wrote:
> First of all I'm using a PC. Secondly I have a hardwired SB so how can
> that pose any kind of security risk? Further more I'm using the SB
> exactly the way it was designed to be used (to interface with my PC)
> and if this is an issue take it up with Logitech, not me.

plonk

gdg
2007-07-22, 17:53
I don't know if you noticed the edit to my post but, when working properly, the Slimserver starts, as it's designed to do, on computer boot up (which now only happens about 80% of the time).
The fact that the Slimserver sometimes doesn't start with boot up may be part and parcel of the same problem.

bpa
2007-07-23, 00:13
Gdg, you system obviously has a problem. As I said before I think there may be more than one issue to solved so each symptom should be tackled in turn.

First - the original CPU load issue needs to be confirmed and identified. Using ProcessExplorer
* When audio stops mid stream, is there a rise in CPU utilisation to a high figure (e.g. 80%-100%) at the same time ?
* If there is a rise - is it sustained ( a rounded curve) or a spike ? and what is the name of the application associated with the rise.

Robin Bowes
2007-07-23, 03:00
gdg wrote:
> Robin Bowes;216227 Wrote:
>>
>>
>> As you obviously know all there is to know about the subject you won't
>> be needing my help.
>>
>> Hope you fix it.
>>
>> R.
>
> In a transparent effort to blame me for the fact that I haven't been
> able to resolve this issue you accused me of not following up on
> suggestions and answering requests for info. Now instead of admitting
> that you are full of $^!t you are going to accuse me of "knowing it
> all"? Kiss my azz.

And you come here for help?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Plonk.

R.

gdg
2007-07-23, 19:36
Gdg, you system obviously has a problem. As I said before I think there may be more than one issue to solved so each symptom should be tackled in turn.

First - the original CPU load issue needs to be confirmed and identified. Using ProcessExplorer
* When audio stops mid stream, is there a rise in CPU utilisation to a high figure (e.g. 80%-100%) at the same time ?
* If there is a rise - is it sustained ( a rounded curve) or a spike ? and what is the name of the application associated with the rise.

You are absolutely right about the need to trouble shoot the problem methodically. Friday, I had the my SB connection "time out" at least 4 times (after 40-60 minutes). For one reason or another I wasn't able to get to my computer in time ascertain anything from the ProcessExplorer (or Task Manager). Realizing that I needed to actually see what was going on when SB timed out, Saturday I set up the ProcessExplorer and sat in front of the computer for a couple of hours waiting for the problem to reoccur. Naturally the SB played for about 6 hours with no "timeouts". Restarts may have occurred (after the first couple of hours) without me being aware of it. In future, every time I have a listening session, I'll set up the ProcessManager ahead of time so that I can take a look at what is going on.

bpa
2007-07-23, 23:40
You could also try and turn on the Network Health measurements detailed in the Server section of this wiki entry
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?DiagnosingPerformanceIssues

It may show up something and it saves data over time and IIRC even single blips are recorded.