PDA

View Full Version : OpenLink Install Help - Linkstation HG

hirsp1
2007-07-18, 14:30
I've been following the instructions at: http://tinyurl.com/2k6c4e. I'm getting the following errors:

Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN CPAN /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ppc-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/ppc-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/AutoLoader.pm line 160, <STDIN> line 2.
at CPAN/Compress/Zlib.pm line 15

Things then move forward, and I get a whole series of:

Building..
Perl.xs: In function `dbd_st_rows':
Perl.xs:39: warning: unused parameter `h'
Perl.c: In function `XS_DBD__Perl__dr_data_sources':
<snipped>

Finally, I get:

Downloading DBD-mysql-3.0002.tar.gz to: /mnt/slimserver/CPAN
Uncompressing..
Configuring..
PERL5LIB=/mnt/slimserver/CPAN/DBI-1.50/blib/lib:/mnt/slimserver/CPAN/DBI-1.50/blib/arch /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL
Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 76.
Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 454.
Failed to determine directory of mysql.h. Use

perl Makefile.PL --cflags=-I<dir>

to set this directory. For details see the INSTALL.html file,
section "C Compiler flags" or type

perl Makefile.PL --help
There was a problem creating Makefile - exiting!

If I try and run: ./slimserver.pl --daemon --prefsfile /mnt/slim-data/slimserver.pref --cachedir /mnt/slim-data
, I then get:

Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC contains: /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/ppc-linux /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/ppc-linux/auto /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8.5/ppc-linux /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8.5/ppc-linux/auto /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/ppc-linux /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/ppc-linux/auto /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/arch/ppc-linux /mnt/slimserver/lib /mnt/slimserver/CPAN /mnt/slimserver /mnt/slimserver /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/ppc-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/ppc-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/AutoLoader.pm line 160.
at /mnt/slimserver/CPAN/Compress/Zlib.pm line 15
The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /mnt/slimserver/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

Any help?

aubuti
2007-07-18, 19:39
The instructions in the link you posted are for slimserver 6.3.1, but from the mysql related messages in your output it looks like you must be trying to install 6.5.x. You'll need to install mysql and related libraries first before installing 6.5.x.

If you are just getting started with slimserver on the LS, I suggest that you download 6.3.1 and install that instead of 6.5.x, at least for now. Once you have that up and running you might decide you don't need 6.5, or at least you will have sorted out a lot of things.

I'm running 6.5.3 on my LS-HG, but I flashed mine with Freelink instead of Openlink, which made installing mysql and other packages easier. I've seen other reports of people installing 6.5.x on a Linkstation II (different processor), but don't recall any posts with a combination of HG + OpenLink + 6.5. Maybe someone will else will respond, but if you really want 6.5, you need to get mysql on the LS, and you should consider reflashing with Freelink. You might also try posting in the 3rd Party Hardware forum, which is a better audience for this kind of question.

Good luck.

hirsp1
2007-07-19, 06:38
Thanks for the suggestion. I might just try Freelink. It's hard to know which one is best for which purpose. The linkstation wiki just present the facts, without much editorializing. The Forum wasn't much help either, in determining which one.

aubuti
2007-07-19, 08:00
I started with OpenLink as well, and switched to FreeLink mostly because it enables you to use the debian apt-get tool to install new packages with relative ease. The process is more or less the same as what you did to flash it to OpenLink.

The downside to Freelink is that you lose the "native" web interface that comes with the LS, but you can get similar functionality by installing Webmin. Freelink also wipes out the Samba installation (which you need for file sharing) that came with the LS, so you need to re-install that. The upside to installing Freelink is that you gain a fairly normal debian installation, making it easy to download other packages (like mysql), as well as get help from various people who understand debian but aren't familiar with the somewhat peculiar (but very good) bird that is OpenLink.

If you do go to Freelink I can point you to some threads where Dan Sully walked me through the installation of mysql and 6.5.

aubuti
2007-07-19, 08:05
Ah, why wait? As long as I'm thinking about it, here are the threads I had in mind:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25391
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=26468

hirsp1
2007-07-19, 19:50
Thanks for the links! I'll take the freelink plunge.

One quick question: I've flashed the unit using a direct connection to a laptop. Our network connection is stable, and was wondering if it would be worth trying it over the network... Or, do I play it safe and do it as I did previously?

aubuti
2007-07-20, 06:32
I would play it safe. The instructions for flashing emphasize using a direct connection, and not going through a router, etc. I figured: who am I to question this advice, and how hard would I kick myself if I bricked the HG by not following this simple, costless instruction?

Be sure to pay attention to the bit about setting your HG networking to static ip or dhcp. I forget which it is supposed to be, but I did it backwards. It wasn't too hard to recover from that mistake, but it did cause more grief than it should have.

hirsp1
2007-07-20, 07:12
Good advice... It was cheap, a clearance item at Best Buy, but still more than I want to throw away.

I'll do it the "old fashioned" direct connect way. And follow the instructions. It shouldn't be too bad.... I hope!

Hopefully, I'll be SlimServing by this afternoon on the Linkstation and I can power down my way old dual PII 233 machine that's been serving as the Slimserver. It's too much of a noise maker and power hog.

hirsp1
2007-07-20, 13:43
Did you install Webmin with your Freelink? I'd like to skip it, if it's possible.

hirsp1
2007-07-20, 16:42
Got the system under freelink and webmin up and running. However, I can't connect to the slimserver. It's running, but I can't connect with a squeezebox or the web interface. Any suggestions?

Webadmin works...

aubuti
2007-07-21, 04:59
Yes, I did install webmin. It's not the most elegant interface, but a lot easier than the command line for someone who doesn't do a lot of linux. Re connecting to slimserver I'm not sure what to suggest. Since you say that slimserver is running, I presume that you can open a terminal session with the HG, indicating that it's communicating okay with your network. Does slimserver show up in 'top'? What does the slimserver log show? Meanwhile I'll keep thinking.....

hirsp1
2007-07-22, 19:48
Current Status:

Cleaned out previous installations of slimserver, made sure /etc/apt/sources.list had the current stable main. This causes an apt-get install to install what appears to be slimserver 6.3.0-4.

I can connect to the LS using Webmin. I can connect to it using softsqueeze. But I still get an "can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.176:9000." error when I use the web browser. Nor can I connect to it using the squeezebox itself.

Any suggestions?

aubuti
2007-07-22, 20:34
Hmm, I'm not sure what to tell you. Even though I sang the praises of apt-get a few posts ago, I still install slimserver manually from the tarball. Why? Just a habit from the OpenLink days that has carried over, especially because my first experiences with the .deb packages didn't go well. If you want to go down that route I can try to walk through it.

My first thought with your symptoms is a firewall problem, but I strongly doubt Freelink installed a firewall. When you say you can connect via softsqueeze you mean connect and stream music? Via slimserver and not just squeezenetwork? If that's the case then I'm kinda stumped.