PDA

View Full Version : Multi-format rips of same track

peted
2007-07-17, 08:17
Hi

I've a question about having both MP3 and FLAC files of each track present in the same music folder. Can the server scanner be made to pick up the high quality (FLAC) file if present (ignoring the MP3), otherwise resort to the MP3? I run both because other users on our network can only use MP3 with various other players. The bulk of our collection is on MP3 at the moment but am re-ripping gradually to FLAC. I assume both would have to be in the same directory with the same filename (apart from the file extension).

A great product - running softsqueeze now - hope to get the real thing soon...

Many thanks

Pete

JJZolx
2007-07-17, 08:59
I've a question about having both MP3 and FLAC files of each track present in the same music folder. Can the server scanner be made to pick up the high quality (FLAC) file if present (ignoring the MP3), otherwise resort to the MP3? I run both because other users on our network can only use MP3 with various other players. The bulk of our collection is on MP3 at the moment but am re-ripping gradually to FLAC. I assume both would have to be in the same directory with the same filename (apart from the file extension).

No, SlimServer can't do this. It's been asked a few times. I think you just need to be diligent in cleaning out the mp3 copy when you rip a Flac version of the same album.

I would keep the Flac and mp3 libraries separate, which should make this kind of maintenance a lot easier. Create an empty music folder and point SlimServer at this folder. Within that music folder, create a shortcut to the Flac library and one to the mp3 library.

peted
2007-07-17, 15:50
Hmm, pity. Your comments make good sense for easier maintenance though. I wonder if what I'd like to achieve could be done using user specific permission attributes on the MP3s to deny SlimServer read access on these files. With the SS service started by a unique user (per what's done on Windows for reading network folders). No good of course on simple systems like XP Home Ed.

Many thanks

Pete