PDA

View Full Version : Can't Delete Music Tracks Using iTunes

Horizons
2007-07-16, 22:01
I am trying to completely remove and re-rip remastered versions of my favorite CDs. When I delete the files from iTunes and completely rescan my library with Slimserver, the songs are still there on the SB3. What do I need to do to completely wipe out ripped songs?

TIA

JimC
2007-07-17, 00:18
I am trying to completely remove and re-rip remastered versions of my favorite CDs. When I delete the files from iTunes and completely rescan my library with Slimserver, the songs are still there on the SB3. What do I need to do to completely wipe out ripped songs?

TIA

When you're deleting the tracks from iTunes, are you telling iTunes to remove the file from your disk as well? If the files still exist on disk, the scanner may find them.

If you're sure they have been removed from your disk, then you might want to check out this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35845

The last message (from Anoop, in our tech support group) tells you how to remove the cache file before scanning.

Horizons
2007-07-17, 09:47
When you're deleting the tracks from iTunes, are you telling iTunes to remove the file from your disk as well?

Yes, clearing the file in iTunes to recycle bin and then emptying the recycle bin and rescanning. Is this not the proper way to delete a file in iTunes?

I will try the other recommendations for blowing out the cache. Thanks.

JimC
2007-07-17, 12:23
Yes, clearing the file in iTunes to recycle bin and then emptying the recycle bin and rescanning. Is this not the proper way to delete a file in iTunes?

It is the way to make sure the file is removed from your hard drive. The other option, where you delete it from the library, but don't move it to the trash leaves the file on the drive.

I will try the other recommendations for blowing out the cache. Thanks.

You shouldn't need to delete your PREFS file, but if you want to try that too, I would recommend you keep a backup. No need to keep a backup of the cache.

-=> Jim

Horizons
2007-07-19, 17:25
Thanks - deleting the cashe directory fixed the problem,

THANKS again!!!!!!