PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox is acting up.

gdg
2007-07-16, 21:14
My Squeezebox (wired version) has been acting up lately.
Right in the middle of a tune, for no apparent reason, the song will restart. It's happened once during each of the last 2 times I've used it and, in 2 years, has NEVER happened before. I've also noticed that sometimes when I turn on my computer the Squeezebox doesn't connect and I have to open it manually. Is this maybe a bandwidth problem with my high speed cable service provider.

CatBus
2007-07-16, 21:40
Describe your home network. Maybe the neighbor just bought a wireless router that uses an overlapping channel? Maybe you have more devices sharing your bandwidth than before, or one 802.11b device slowing down your WAP? Could be a number of things...install NetStumbler and see what it tells you.

JimC
2007-07-17, 00:01
I'm with CatBus... I'd look at your network performance. Even if you haven't made changes, your neighbors may have and that could have a negative impact on your network.

Also, check for any changes to your PC config. Have you updated your firewall or anti-virus software?

-=> Jim

gdg
2007-07-17, 00:57
I'm with CatBus... I'd look at your network performance. Even if you haven't made changes, your neighbors may have and that could have a negative impact on your network.

Also, check for any changes to your PC config. Have you updated your firewall or anti-virus software?

-=> Jim

Actually my anti virus software was recently updated, though all my settings were retained. As for my network, everything is hardwired. Nothing I use is wireless so I can't see how anything the neighbor does could effect me.

JimC
2007-07-17, 09:45
Actually my anti virus software was recently updated, though all my settings were retained. As for my network, everything is hardwired. Nothing I use is wireless so I can't see how anything the neighbor does could effect me.

Then let's get a few more details...

When you say the "song" will restart, is that a track in your local collection, being sent by SlimServer or is it coming from outside your local network (say, from an MP3tunes locker, Rhapsody, or some other source)?

If it's a track in your local collection, something is either impacting the connection between your SB3 and router/hub/swtich; or taking CPU cycles from SlimServer. What format is the song you're playing? If it isn't one the SB3 natively supports (details here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToFileFormat, then it's being transcoded at the server side. If this is the case, performance on the server machine may be causing the problem.

If it's a remote track, then the problem could be in a whole bunch of places -- your connection, your ISP, one of the routers in the hops between you and the the service you're using, or the service may bogged down and not keeping up. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this one... maybe someone else can chime in.

-=> Jim

haunyack
2007-07-17, 10:14
My Squeezebox (wired version) has been acting up lately.
Right in the middle of a tune, for no apparent reason, the song will restart. It's happened once during each of the last 2 times I've used it and, in 2 years, has NEVER happened before. I've also noticed that sometimes when I turn on my computer the Squeezebox doesn't connect and I have to open it manually. Is this maybe a bandwidth problem with my high speed cable service provider.

What OS are you using?

gdg
2007-07-17, 14:56
Then let's get a few more details...

When you say the "song" will restart, is that a track in your local collection, being sent by SlimServer or is it coming from outside your local network (say, from an MP3tunes locker, Rhapsody, or some other source)?

If it's a track in your local collection, something is either impacting the connection between your SB3 and router/hub/swtich; or taking CPU cycles from SlimServer. What format is the song you're playing? If it isn't one the SB3 natively supports (details here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToFileFormat, then it's being transcoded at the server side. If this is the case, performance on the server machine may be causing the problem.

If it's a remote track, then the problem could be in a whole bunch of places -- your connection, your ISP, one of the routers in the hops between you and the the service you're using, or the service may bogged down and not keeping up. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this one... maybe someone else can chime in.

-=> Jim

Hi Jim,
The track is in my iTunes library and stored in Apple Lossless Format. I'm using Windows XP and when this happens I have nothing else running. Strangely it's very intermittent and only happened once during each of the last two 45 minute listening sessions.

JimC
2007-07-17, 15:29
Hi Jim,
The track is in my iTunes library and stored in Apple Lossless Format. I'm using Windows XP and when this happens I have nothing else running. Strangely it's very intermittent and only happened once during each of the last two 45 minute listening sessions.

Apple lossless is transcoded for playback on the SB3. I don't know a lot about how this process works, so I've sent a note over the the tech support group to solicit ideas for you.

I believe it uses Quicktime for the initial decode, and that was recently updated... did you upgrade? Any chance the problem started with the new version of QT?

I'll let you know what I learn from our tech support team.

-=> Jim

gdg
2007-07-17, 17:43
I havn't updated my Quicktime player. I'll do that now.