PDA

View Full Version : Netscape saved me from ditching Squeezebox

moshulu
2007-07-16, 00:38
When I got my SB3 a few months ago, life was beautiful. I was amazed that such a sophisticated combination of hardware and software could work perfectly "out of the box". Then, as I ripped my way through some 800 CDs, things began to deteriorate. Slimserver was constantly crashing, freezing, refusing to load or update one or both parts of the window. I could usually get the music to play somehow, but was getting increasingly disgusted, and my wife wouldn't even touch the system. I tried many things, including reinstalling Slimserver, and changing various settings, but without any improvement. I seriously thought about abandoning the whole thing. Finally, last weekend, I switched from Internet Explorer to Netscape. The system runs perfectly again! I don't know why, and I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm posting in case my experience can be of use to someone else.

adamslim
2007-07-16, 00:47
There are a few memory leaks that can cause problems, as the page reloads so frequently. Anyway, try Mozilla Firefox, which is more up-to-date than Netscape, but has the same 'engine', IIRC.

Adam

SuperQ
2007-07-16, 08:31
There are a few memory leaks that can cause problems, as the page reloads so frequently. Anyway, try Mozilla Firefox, which is more up-to-date than Netscape, but has the same 'engine', IIRC.

Adam

Next you'll be installing Ubuntu, and you'll wonder why MS is still in business ;)

JJZolx
2007-07-16, 12:15
When I got my SB3 a few months ago, life was beautiful. I was amazed that such a sophisticated combination of hardware and software could work perfectly "out of the box". Then, as I ripped my way through some 800 CDs, things began to deteriorate. Slimserver was constantly crashing, freezing, refusing to load or update one or both parts of the window. I could usually get the music to play somehow, but was getting increasingly disgusted, and my wife wouldn't even touch the system. I tried many things, including reinstalling Slimserver, and changing various settings, but without any improvement. I seriously thought about abandoning the whole thing. Finally, last weekend, I switched from Internet Explorer to Netscape. The system runs perfectly again! I don't know why, and I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm posting in case my experience can be of use to someone else.

It wasn't SlimServer crashing. The problems were issues with the web interface in Internet Explorer. The web interface has never worked particularly well with IE, so it's best to avoid it if you can.

I agree with the above advice. Get Firefox.

One problem (that I think still exists) with SlimTray is that it will open the web interface in the default browser. If that's still IE then you should not use SlimTray to open the web interface. Instead, create a convenient shortcut to Firefox and either make the SlimServer page your home page or create a bookmark to it in the bookmark toolbar.

Bas Horneman
2007-07-16, 13:02
The web interface has never worked particularly well with IE

Never have had a single problem.

dborn
2007-07-16, 14:10
Same here. IE 6 and IE 7 just work (slimserver running on Linux)

nelamvr6
2007-07-16, 14:40
Next you'll be installing Ubuntu, and you'll wonder why MS is still in business ;)

Better yet Mint! :D