PDA

View Full Version : Still possible to buy SlimDevices (not Logitech) SB3 in UK?

flashgordon
2007-07-15, 15:16
I don't really want a Logitech logo on my SB3 ("Logitech make cheapo PC speakers don't they?"). Anyone know if I can still buy a new SlimDevices-branded SB3 in the UK? I realise I may end up with the old remote control though. Is the new one so much better?

Many thanks,
Flash

JimC
2007-07-16, 11:59
I don't really want a Logitech logo on my SB3 ("Logitech make cheapo PC speakers don't they?"). Anyone know if I can still buy a new SlimDevices-branded SB3 in the UK? I realise I may end up with the old remote control though. Is the new one so much better?

Many thanks,
Flash

I don't think there are any Slim-badged SB3's left in the U.K., unless they have been sitting around unsold for a bit. We've been shipping the Logitech-badged version to Europe since early May. Since we never really had anyone stocking the Slim units in large quantities, I'm not sure you'll be able to find one.

-=> Jim

flashgordon
2007-07-16, 12:19
Cheers Jim. Logitech one it is then.

JimC
2007-07-17, 00:04
Cheers Jim. Logitech one it is then.

Sorry about that, but thanks for the business.

-=> Jim

menno
2007-07-17, 02:01
FYI I bought two SB3s from Ebuyer, which although showed Slim Devices logos on the site, actually had Logitech logos on them when I received them.

But I had to RMA one of them as the remote did not work, and they then ran out of stock, so just refunded me.

I then bought a replacement (and an additional one, as I liked the SB3 so much) from datakits.co.uk. Both those had the old style logo!

Interestingly they are the cheapest place to buy at the moment. And I tried to get another firm who I had used before to price match, and they wouldn't price match; was given some line about how the supplier said Datakits had no stock and are trying to disrupt the the online UK market.

Very odd. But I had no probs, the Datakits order came on time, with two SB3s with nice old style logos.

Cheers,
Menno

datakits
2007-07-25, 09:58
Hi I work for DataKits.co.uk. we have the old style Slim Devices branded SQ3. we bought all the old stock we could find as we agree that they look better than the Logitech ones. I hope no company is writing bad comments just because we are offering our customers a good deal. Theres no harm in that :)

wotuzu17
2007-07-27, 22:52
I also bought my second Squeezebox on ebay from an german dealer. The description showed the Slimdevices style, and was priced higher than other offers of the SB with the new Logitech logo.
However, I got one with Logitech on it. Well, I will get used to it.

markwm
2007-07-28, 01:34
I hope Logitech are listensing to these comments, people don't seem to like the Fischer Price style logitech logo on serious audio equipment :o)

Does the transporter have the logitech logo?

mherger
2007-07-28, 05:00
> Does the transporter have the logitech logo?

No, not on the front.

Michael

mvalera
2007-07-28, 19:11
I hope Logitech are listensing to these comments, people don't seem to like the Fischer Price style logitech logo on serious audio equipment :o)

Does the transporter have the logitech logo?

Some may not like the Logi logo, but never the less it's there to stay.

The Transporter now says "transporter" on the front in the University font. The Logitech logo is on the sticker on the bottom.

discmeister
2007-08-08, 08:48
Hi,

Am curious to know if anyone else bought from Datakits and had a painless transaction? After reading this thread I ordered a Squeezebox from Datakits but even though the money left my bank account two days ago, there's no sign of any mention of 'dispatch' on the order status page.

More worryingly, the phone number given on the website goes to answerphone and there's been no reply to any emails to date.

I will keep the forum updated on this, if only because I wouldn't want anyone else to go through the 189-induced worry that I'm currently feeling...

John

jeebers
2007-08-08, 09:52
Hate to tell you this, but I had a bad experience with them.

I ordered a SB3 from them, they took my money and I got an email telling me it had been despatched. This was inaccurate, as they didn't have any in stock (the next day they were showing an instock figure of -2) - they didn't answer the phone, reply to any emails etc etc, despite a LOT of chasing from me.

I eventually got them to cancel the order after threatening to take them to Trading Standards. Do a Google search on them and you'll find plenty of similar stories.

I'll drop you a PM with the email address of someone who finally sorted things out for me.

discmeister
2007-08-08, 10:21
They're currently showing a stock of 50, and I have emailed the address you've suggested (had done already, in fact), so let's see what happens within the next day. Legally, and in accordance with their own site's terms and conditions, I can cancel the order up to tomorrow afternoon and demand a full refund.

I will keep you posted - given how few suppliers stock the Squeezebox in the UK, it's important to ensure that potential buyers get good standards of customer service.

John

benedict
2007-08-08, 11:18
Hello to all :o)

I'm just starting my squeezebox ownership adventure(?!) and am poised, credit card in hand to purchase one.
I was very close to ordering one from datakits, based both on price and, getting the SD logo, but having googled them a bit and read the above, I shan't be taking the risk...

Posing the the next question:

Which suppliers do people recommend (or not) from their own experiences?
(sorry if this is answered elsewhere - can't find it by looking and can't get the 'search' to work at the moment)

Cheers,
Ben

Muggy
2007-08-08, 12:22

I can recommend www.multitask-computing.co.uk, were very good when I last ordered from them. Also very knowledgeable on the squeezebox if you have any problems.

Richie
2007-08-08, 13:25
> I can recommend www.multitask-computing.co.uk, were very good when I
> last ordered from them. Also very knowledgeable on the squeezebox if
> you have any problems.

I can also recommend multitask. I've purchased 7 from them so far and
not had a problem.

Richard

arfon
2007-08-08, 15:40
I purchased a SB3 from datakits and like some other post here I received emails stating that it had been dispatched but nothing turned up. Calling the number and emailing was also a waste of time. Fortunately I paid with Paypal and I logged a dispute through the resolution centre for non-receipt. Within hours I had a response from them through Paypal and the next day I had the SB3 (with no Logitech logo). I'm thinking about another SB3 but wont be going back to datakits.

Ian_F
2007-08-08, 16:12
Someone from datakits (calls themselves datakits funnily enough) frequents these forums. Might be worth trying to catch up with them. Hopefully they're someone who can do something to solve your problems.

Ian_F
2007-08-08, 16:41
(sorry if this is answered elsewhere - can't find it by looking and can't get the 'search' to work at the moment)

Dabs, Ecodigital to name but two. Doubt they're doing the "old" slimdevices SB but they're still reliable suppliers IMHO.

mflint
2007-08-09, 01:07
Ecodigital get the thumbs-up from me.

Matthew

discmeister
2007-08-09, 01:11
Yes, I have PM'ed Datakits asking them to help with comms and a date of dispatch etc.

Like I've said, I'll keep updating this thread as the process continues. Hopefully they're just being slack at updating the order status page and the box has actually been dispatched. But as every day goes by and my 189 sits in their bank account, I get more concerned, and more angry.

John

jeebers
2007-08-09, 02:15
I bought mine from www.advancedmp3players.co.uk and the service was excellent.

DoomWolf
2007-08-09, 03:55
I bought my SB3 from http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/, along with a few other bits and pieces over the years. I've always found their service to be excellent and deliveries have always come next day.

discmeister
2007-08-09, 05:56
A further update (sorry if this is boring people but I'm keen for others to avoid problems if possible). I have cancelled my order and had a swift reply from Datakits apologising, saying the item was ready for dispatch and promising to get it couriered to me by tomorrow morning if I would continue with the order.

I have reiterated that I want the order cancelled.

Will keep the forum updated on any further progress. This is an unfortunate start to my Squeezebox adventure (!) but if my own experience can help someone else, I'll feel slightly better about it.

John

discmeister
2007-08-09, 06:16
...And yet more progress. Datakits say they have refunded the amount in full and cancelled the order. Providing the funds clear into my account shortly, I can but conclude that my experience with datakits was clumsy, and unnerving, but ultimately without lasting pain! Let's see.

John

funkstar
2007-08-09, 15:18
Another plug for Multitask Computing. Got both my units from them.

Scan.co.uk are also good, i use them all the time for general PC components.

flashgordon
2007-08-10, 04:40
I'm the OP. I ordered mine from Datakits using a credit card, on 03.08.07 and it arrived 07.08.07, no problems at all. It has the SlimDevices name on the unit, but the remote control is a Logitech one.

Very pleased.

jeffmeh
2007-08-10, 04:59
I'm the OP. I ordered mine from Datakits using a credit card, on 03.08.07 and it arrived 07.08.07, no problems at all. It has the SlimDevices name on the unit, but the remote control is a Logitech one.

Very pleased.

Ah, UK date format. For a moment I was wondering how you could be so patient as to perceive no problems with a four month wait, lol.

msherman
2007-08-10, 07:45
flashgordon wrote:
> I'm the OP. I ordered mine from Datakits using a credit card, on
> 03.08.07 and it arrived 07.08.07, no problems at all. It has the
> SlimDevices name on the unit, but the remote control is a Logitech
> one.
>
> Very pleased.

You seem to be the only one. From a quick google search, I'm rather
surprised that they're still in business.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=datakits%20uk%20consumer%20complaint

- Marc

benedict
2007-08-10, 10:38
Well thanks for the tips guys, it seems Multitask have got the most number of vouches so Ive placed my order :o)

Ah, UK date format. For a moment I was wondering how you could be so patient as to perceive no problems with a four month wait, lol.

Ref UK/US date format its always puzzled me why the Americans order their dates the way they do. Surely it makes sense, be it in computing or otherwise to move from the most significant bit/highest order of magnitude to the lowest. It seems a bit like quoting time as hours:seconds:minutes. Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Ben
<gets excited at pending slim/squeeze goodness>

<goes off to install slimserver now the linux box is up, running & networked>

<looks at mountain of CDs that were previously ripped to mp3 and ponders the onerous task of re-ripping them all to lossless>

<looks at the weather and decides to go down the pub>

geoffb
2007-08-10, 13:13
On 8/10/07, benedict wrote:
> jeffmeh;220105 Wrote:
> > Ah, UK date format. For a moment I was wondering how you could be so
> > patient as to perceive no problems with a four month wait, lol.
>
> Ref UK/US date format it's always puzzled me why the Americans order
> their dates the way they do. Surely it makes sense, be it in computing
> or otherwise to move from the most significant "bit"/highest order of
> magnitude to the lowest. It seems a bit like quoting time as
> hours:seconds:minutes. Or am I missing something?

I agree - although the UK date format doesn't make any more sense from
this perspective; it's the countries that use yyyy-mm-dd that really
have it right IMO. It sorts a LOT better in text-based lists too.
Cheers,
Geoff

discmeister
2007-08-14, 06:03
Just to round the story off, my refund from datakits came through last Friday evening. So I can only say that the firm has appalling communications during its order and dispatch process, but in my experience at least, the people there reacted promptly to my order cancellation.

Have now ordered a Squeeze through advancedmp3players.co.uk after more than one user here recommended them.

Now I can concentrate on building the cheapest possible PC to run the server... ;-) eBay being what it is, people have such misguided beliefs of what their computers are actually worth that it's going to be cheaper for me to just buy new cut-priced bits off eBuyer. Oh, and a 500Gb drive, naturally... ;-)

Thanks again to all who posted advice,

John

MLaw
2007-08-14, 10:33
Hi,

I would just like to redress the balance a little in favour of Datakits.co.uk. Separately, last week a friend and I both placed orders for the SB3 with Datakits. I must say I was concerned to read this thread after placing my order. However, the company has delivered both units. My SB3 was ordered after the postal collection on Friday last week and was delivered with the morning mail today Tuesday - less than 2 working days later.

Mike

dennis55
2007-08-14, 11:24
oredered my SB3 from Ripcaster early hours Monday 13th and the courier delivered it this morning.
it was connected up and running in all of twenty minutes.........great piece of kit.
connected via Belkin G MIMO+ router with average signal strength of 88% to my system downstairs.
mostly Linn stuff,preamp is Bonnec Timpano.

cheers

dennis

datakits
2007-10-05, 08:36
My name is Mike and i work for Datakits. i must apologise if anyone in this forum has had a problem with their order.

I understand we had a few problems a few months ago during our office move that developed some system problems.

Anythging should havebeen cleared up and all customers have receieved their orders. if you need to contact me i am available on mike@datakits.co.uk or we have the complaints line at complaints@datakits.co.uk

I hope you cansee that the site is running smoothly and we are selling the Squeezebox again at a great price to our customers.

Ramage
2007-10-05, 08:54
My name is Mike and i work for Datakits. i must apologise if anyone in this forum has had a problem with their order.

I understand we had a few problems a few months ago during our office move that developed some system problems.

Anythging should havebeen cleared up and all customers have receieved their orders. if you need to contact me i am available on mike@datakits.co.uk or we have the complaints line at complaints@datakits.co.uk

I hope you cansee that the site is running smoothly and we are selling the Squeezebox again at a great price to our customers.

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=38982