PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver won't start on Mepis/(K)Ubuntu

bbb
2007-07-14, 15:01
Hi, I've seen a number of other threads about Slimserver not starting, with various possible solutions; I think I've tried them all, but to no avail.

I've been running Slimserver for several years with no problems, formerly on an older version of Mepis linux. I had to move it to another machine running the more recent Mepis (6.5), which is largely the same as Ubuntu Dapper (6.06) (from Slimserver's point of view, probably identical). Since then, I cannot get Slimserver to work.

I have Slimserver v.6.5.4 installed from the

deb http://debian.slimdevices.com testing main

pool. Running /etc/init.d/slimserver start as root starts two processes, slimserver and slimserver_safe. However, going to http://localhost:9000 returns an "Unable to Connect" error in Firefox, and my Squeezebox (v.1) tells me it can't find the server.

I tried starting slimserver from the command line as follows:

slimserver -d_startup

This produces a lot of output; the last 6 lines appear to indicate a problem, as follows:

Can't locate object method "children" via package "Path::Class::Dir" at /usr/sha re/perl5/Slim/Utils/PluginManager.pm line 75.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 32.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 32 .
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Utils/Misc.pm line 50.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/slimserver line 113.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/slimserver line 113.

I don't know enough (or, for that matter, anything) about perl to know what that might mean or what I need to do to fix it.

/var/log/slimserver/slimserver.log looks something like this, with a new line being added constantly:

2007-07-14 18:30:22 Slimserver died. Restarting.
2007-07-14 18:30:22 Slimserver died. Restarting.
2007-07-14 18:30:23 Slimserver died. Restarting.
2007-07-14 18:30:24 Slimserver died. Restarting.
2007-07-14 18:30:24 Slimserver died. Restarting.
2007-07-14 18:30:25 Slimserver died. Restarting.
. . .

I do also get the following error message anytime I use apt-get; don't know if it is relevant (but given that Slimserver is written in perl, thought it might be)

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "en",
LC_ALL = "en_US",
LANG = "en_US"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Any thoughts?

Thanks, bbb

daveaphillips
2007-07-17, 00:42
Is it worth trying an older version of SS? I've got 6.5.3 running ok on Fiesty...

Don't know if this will help, I'm a Linux beginner!

Dave