PDA

View Full Version : .wav file playing at multiple of normal speed



Owen Davis
2004-01-10, 13:25
I have a single .wav file in my collection within iTunes (OSX 10.3.1,
Slimserver 5.0.1, squeezebox fw 5) that now plays at double or more the
normal rate. Alvin and the Chipmunks are having fun with the
particular song.

The song plays fine in iTunes.
I've rebooted everything with no improvement.

I've searched the archives for .wav related posts but didn't find
anything related, so I'm hoping for any ideas on how to diagnose or fix
the problem.

The only thing I can imagine altering my configuration is the
installation of Nicecast a few days ago.

Suggestions?

Cheers!

Owen

kdf
2004-01-10, 13:39
Quoting Owen Davis <owen (AT) lmi (DOT) net>:

> I have a single .wav file in my collection within iTunes (OSX 10.3.1,
> Slimserver 5.0.1, squeezebox fw 5) that now plays at double or more the
> normal rate. Alvin and the Chipmunks are having fun with the
> particular song.
>
try the latest nightly build:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/

If you stil have trouble, try turning on d_source in the server debugging
settings and paste a bit of the log where it shows the playback of the wav file.

-kdf

Owen Davis
2004-01-10, 15:44
On Jan 10, 2004, at 10:39 PM, kdf wrote:

> Quoting Owen Davis <owen (AT) lmi (DOT) net>:
>
>> I have a single .wav file in my collection within iTunes (OSX 10.3.1,
>> Slimserver 5.0.1, squeezebox fw 5) that now plays at double or more
>> the
>> normal rate. Alvin and the Chipmunks are having fun with the
>> particular song.
>>
> try the latest nightly build:
> http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/
>
> If you stil have trouble, try turning on d_source in the server
> debugging
> settings and paste a bit of the log where it shows the playback of the
> wav file.

* downloaded and installed the nightly .dmg file from nightly 1/9/2004
* updated firmware as requested (successful)

..wav file still performed by chipmunks.

* scratched head while figuring out how to debug. finally:
* telneted to localhost 9090
* entered "debug d_source" (with reply of debug d_source 1)
* played file again.

now, if i only knew where to find the log :-)

anyone?

Richard Purdie
2004-01-10, 16:17
> I have a single .wav file in my collection within iTunes (OSX 10.3.1,
> Slimserver 5.0.1, squeezebox fw 5) that now plays at double or more the
> normal rate. Alvin and the Chipmunks are having fun with the
> particular song.
>
> Suggestions?

Is the wav file encoded at 22khz?

If so, I don't think the squeezebox supports it yet and it will be playing
it back at 44.1khz hence the Chipmunk sound. I'm fairly confident Slim
Devices will support the lower frequency in due course (if this is the
case).

I'm wildly guessing here and someone from Slim Devices will have to confirm.
I may be well off the mark :)

RP

Roy M. Silvernail
2004-01-10, 16:39
On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:44, Owen Davis wrote:

> * downloaded and installed the nightly .dmg file from nightly 1/9/2004
> * updated firmware as requested (successful)
>
> .wav file still performed by chipmunks.

With or without David Seville? :)

You have a 22.05 kHz sample rate wav file there. SlimServer assumes
everything not MP3 is 44.1kHz.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=128

Meanwhile, you can upsample it with 'ffmpeg -i Alvin.wav -ar 44100
NonAlvin.wav'
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy (AT) rant-central (DOT) com, and you're not
Never Forget: It's Only 1's and 0's!
SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
http://www.rant-central.com

Owen Davis
2004-01-10, 17:25
On Jan 11, 2004, at 1:39 AM, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 17:44, Owen Davis wrote:
>
>> * downloaded and installed the nightly .dmg file from nightly 1/9/2004
>> * updated firmware as requested (successful)
>>
>> .wav file still performed by chipmunks.
>
> With or without David Seville? :)

Without: even David can't keep up with this particular rendition!

> You have a 22.05 kHz sample rate wav file there. SlimServer assumes
> everything not MP3 is 44.1kHz.

You've confirmed what Richard Purdie just surmised. And indeed the
file is 22.05khz.

> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=128
>
> Meanwhile, you can upsample it with 'ffmpeg -i Alvin.wav -ar 44100
> NonAlvin.wav'

I think I can also just export from Quicktime which is already
installed. Thanks for the upsample tip!

Owen

BTW, I'm still curious about where the debug logs end up!