PDA

View Full Version : Genre tagging not working

UNCMo96
2007-07-14, 10:14
I've been attempting to consolidate the genres of my music collection so i went into MusicIP and funneled the 90 or so Genres down to about 10 and retagged the genres for my whole collection.

I then had slimserver do a rescan (the erase library and rescan option) and when I browse by genre the old genres are still present. I even tried deleting the cache folder and restarting slimserver and the old genres are still there. I checked with Tag&Rename and the genre tags in the files are changed to my new set. How is slimserver "remembering" the old genres and not using the ones tagged on the files. I have a few plugins (customscan, custombrowse, trackstat, sqlplaylist) Could any of these be holding on to the old genres?

amcluesent
2007-07-14, 10:41
>and retagged the genres<

What tool? Could be you have a mess of ID3v1, ID3v3 and APE tags. Check out mp3tag and use it to remove all but one type of tag - instructions in the Wiki.

snarlydwarf
2007-07-14, 10:42
I have found that MusicIP (at least the headless version) likes to make up Genres. No idea where the heck it gets them from, but it isn't getting them from tags... These are then imported into SlimServer if using the MusicIP plugin.

Can you recheck the tracks in MusicIP and see if it sees its own made up genres as well as the ones you chose?

UNCMo96
2007-07-14, 11:02
I think I fixed it.
I went onto the MusicMagic Server and refreshed the songs. I then tried the erase/rescan library and still no luck. I then cleared the cache folder and it appears to be working. So I guess the moral of the story is always refresh the MM Server and delete the cache folder after messing with things in Music IP?

Thanks for everyones help.