PDA

View Full Version : Ugraged to ..6.5.3 :-(

bdelp
2007-07-13, 20:00
WTF? I upgraded to 6.5.3 and everything is working.....perfectly.

JJZolx
2007-07-13, 20:11
WTF? I upgraded to 6.5.3 and everything is working.....perfectly.

Give it time. :)

Seriously though - Very few known bugs remain in this release. I think the developers and QA did an outstanding job of making sure that 6.5.3 was well-tested and that nearly all of the reported issues were addressed before it was officially released.

seanadams
2007-07-13, 20:36
Sorry about that. Now you will have to find something else to do this weekend, while you're listening to your music instead of having fun debugging Slimserver.

andy_c
2007-07-13, 21:18
It's been my experience that 6.5.x (latest 6.5.3) is the worst POS software I've ever had the misfortune of using, bar none.

If you press the stop button on an AACplus internet radio stream, SlimServer locks up and may render the server unusable without a reboot.

If a .ogg internet radio stream stops, the Squeezebox gets stuck in a state that requires unplugging it and plugging it back in again for it to work.

I've had my Squeezebox 2 for several years now, and in all that time I've only had to unplug it once to get it to play tunes again.

Today, I've had to unplug and re-plug the Squeezebox about five times to get it out of a locked up state. This is due to replacing the 6.3.1 SlimServer with 6.5.3. I've had to eliminate all .ogg and AACplus internet radio streams from my list to even get it into this state.

If you want to see the caliber of the so-called "software QA" of SlimDevices, just install 6.5.3. Look at the install dialog box. It will tell you that you are installing 6.5.2. As far as I can tell, there is no software QA of SlimServer whatsoever. Or if there is, they are a bunch of complete idiots who are totally asleep at the wheel.

Sean is a great guy who has done a superb job with the Squeezebox and Transporter hardware. But the so-called "software QA" of SlimServer is a complete joke - if it exists at all, which I doubt. Sean has associated himself with bad company here, which will have the end result of giving him a bad name.

kdf
2007-07-13, 22:17
Trolls may use the exit to the rear. Everyone else, please disregard the vomit on the floor. Little furry things that whistle pleasantly will be along shortly to clean it up.

andy_c
2007-07-13, 22:35
kdf:

You are part of the problem.

kdf
2007-07-13, 22:44
On 13-Jul-07, at 10:35 PM, andy_c wrote:

>
> You are part of the problem.
>
thank you, sir. Your warm wishes will make everyone feel that much
better about humanity.

tyler_durden
2007-07-13, 22:46
A lot of noobs and pod people who don't understand their computers or the SB confuse their computer or network performance problems with those of the server software. They either learn enough to diagnose and fix their problems or go away in frustration.

I've heard that ipods work really well... maybe you should get one of those instead.

TD

andy_c
2007-07-13, 22:49
I'm an EE software developer. I've actually worked at companies where there is software QA.

Try taking 6.5.3 and setting it up for AACplus internet radio streaming per the Wiki.

Now use this url:

http://wrti-ice.streamguys.net:80/jazz-247-aacp

Then press the stop button in the UI.

Your server will lock up.

This is one of a number of problems that did not exist in 6.3.1 but is completely hosed in 6.5.x.

kdf
2007-07-13, 22:59
On 13-Jul-07, at 10:49 PM, andy_c wrote:

>
> I'm an EE software developer. I've actually worked at companies where
> there is software QA.
>
Since you have pointed it out, I'm sure that as a professional, you are
well aware of the need to respect others in the industry and refrain
from the widely targetted personal attacks with which you so kindly
opened your exchange. I suggest you take some time off, and approach
your problem from a different angle. If you wish to have assistance,
there are plenty around who are more than willing to help. If that is
not possible for you, I suggest you rethink announcing your
qualifications as if it should mean anything to excuse your previous
behaviour.
-kdf

andy_c
2007-07-13, 23:06
My qualifications are irrelevant. It is only you who are concerned about them, which is why I brought them up. There are serious problems with the software that I have brought up, and have submitted bug reports for. That's the only thing that matters.

Given that I've submitted these bug reports, I'd expect some email with status. Like, what happened when the fix was tried? Was the problem solved?

Fat chance - but maybe info wil be available.

kdf
2007-07-13, 23:44
On 13-Jul-07, at 11:06 PM, andy_c wrote:
> and have submitted bug reports
> for. That's the only thing that matters.
>
That is all that matters. Please feel free to file bugs as you see
fit, but please do so without resorting to calling people "complete
idiots". That's just bad form.

bpa
2007-07-13, 23:56
Please note that I worked out the way to do AACPlus support. It is NOT part of Slimserver release and as such QA does not test it.

If you look at the audio format supported FAQ under AACplus the following is the answer "Unfortunately no. AACPlus is not supported at this time"

Many of the problems with starting/stopping 3rd party apps comes from app such as mplayer. I will look into the problem and see what is happening as I notice you have reported as a bug.

The version of mplayer can be important - what version are you using ?

andy_c
2007-07-14, 00:15
On 13-Jul-07, at 11:06 PM, andy_c wrote:
> and have submitted bug reports
> for. That's the only thing that matters.
>
That is all that matters. Please feel free to file bugs as you see
fit, but please do so without resorting to calling people "complete
idiots". That's just bad form.

If my statements were false, it would be bad form.

The purpose of software QA is to find errors in the software.

If software QA can't even recognize that the user is installing 6.5.3 rather than 6.5.2, then that's a blatant error in software QA. Granted, it's a small thing, but if one cannot expect correct information with simple issues, then larger issues are no less suspect. I don't know how else to express this other than well-known tradition.

erland
2007-07-14, 00:59
I'm an EE software developer. I've actually worked at companies where there is software QA.
Then I'm sure you are aware of a few facts:

- There is no such thing as bug free software, every software contains bugs, it is just a matter of time before someone finds them.

- If you like help to solve a problem, calling the people that should help you for "complete idiots" is not the best idea. This is the case independent if they have done their previous job correctly or not.

- It is not the responsibility of the QA people to test unsupported features (Such as AACplus support).

- If you have a working setup there is always a risk upgrading to a new version. The phrase "Don't fix it if it ain't broken" comes to mind.

bpa
2007-07-14, 02:11
I just did a vanilla install of the released Slimserver 6.5.3 (i.e. no additional plugins) onto Windows XP sp2 and just added the necessary 3 AACplus files from the Wiki and mplayer.

With a quick test, I get no problems when playing (30secs) and stopping the URL specified. Transcoding is to Flac to SB3 using the Mplayer that is bundled with AlienBBC (1.0pre8).

Since you have a problem, I obviously haven't reproduced your configuration or mode of operation exactly. I'll do more tests and continue the debugging through the bugs database.

adamslim
2007-07-14, 02:39
Hmm, the fact that you are helping the guy who has called you a complete idiot, err, proves him right then? :D

6.5.3 works perfectly for me, well done guys. I think you could do with more resources (people), but you do great for the size team.

Adam

bpa
2007-07-14, 03:52
For experience, I spent some time in Customer Support and I found that customer problems follow some well defined patterns.

When a customer discovers a problem, they can get upset especially if it is a feature/function that is important to them. When reporting the problem, the frustration can result in intemperate language. It is unfortunate that this behaviour is now considered normal and that many people believe it is necessary to get attention. I found the best way is to ignore the language and concentrate on the problem.

If a user reports a problem then to the user the problem is real - often it is a bug but sometimes it is something else such as incorrect use or a setup problem. In either case the issue should be resolved either by fixing the bug or educating the user because it is likely the issue will appear again. Exchanging remarks never solved problems.

If it was my bug then I don't need reminding by somebody else that I messed up.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-07-14, 12:59
I have found, time after time, when dealing with customer service, that honey works wonders. They are there to solve problems, and they often have some leeway as far as being able to remove charges, issue credits, or escalate the caller to a higher level of support.

And even though I sometimes feel like I have more knowledge about the issue than the person on the other end, it's usually beneficial to be patient, humble, and even "play dumb" to some extent.

Demanding things just puts people on the defensive. If you act like you'll be happy to pay the charge but just want to understand what it's for, they'll often apologize and remove it.

Just this week I had late charges on 3 DVD rentals removed and a $30 charge from a Sunday service call on my cable service credited. I'm sure if I had screamed at the video clerk and cable CS person, I would be paying the $42. No hard sell, no sob story, just a friendly and patient manner.

Oh, and 6.5.3 is working beautifully. I just did an RPM install over 6.5.1 and everything's good. The gallery view is great, now that it recognizes my embedded FLAC covers.

Good job, guys.

Nostromo
2007-07-14, 14:14
6.5.3 works beautifully for me too. Normally, I uninstall the old version of SS and then install the new one + the plugins I use. But this time I felt lazy so I installed it over 6.5.1.