PDA

View Full Version : New - Google Desktop Gadget for Slimserver

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-13, 04:20
Hi,

I've developed a Slimserver gadget for Google Desktop. This lets you remotely control your Slimserver players.

* Displays the album cover art for the current track
* Supports multiple players
* Displays a popup notification with details of what track is playing *
* Play, pause and skip tracks
* Switch the player on and off
* Change the volume
* Play a random mix
* Set the shuffle and repeat modes
* POP-out details panel with detailed track information
* Jump to the main Slimserver Web UI

This is version 1.2 so I'd be interested in people trying the gadget out and letting me know if they find any bugs.

UPDATE - I found some serious performance issues with my first release, this is version 1.2, it fixes that performance problem, and also adds some new features (such as a track details panel) so if you downloaded v1.0 please download the new version from my site.

Download it from my website
http://www.bencoleman.co.uk/google-desktop-gadget-slimserver/

Cheers,
Ben

mattybain
2007-07-13, 05:58
Not working so well here. Main problems are that the display doesn't want to update and that the FWD button doesn't seem to do anything.

Apart from that it is looking sweet.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-13, 06:01
Not working so well here. Main problems are that the display doesn't want to update and that the FWD button doesn't seem to do anything.

Apart from that it is looking sweet.

What version of Slimserver are you runnning?
Have you configured the server address and player name in the options (right click -> Options)?

BTW - The display update is not realtime, it's controlled by a refresh interval (also in the options) the default is 40 seconds.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-13, 06:15
JoyrexJ9: thanks very much for your work! Would you be so kind as to post it to http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginRemoteControls ? Thanks!

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-13, 06:28
JoyrexJ9: thanks very much for your work! Would you be so kind as to post it to http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?PluginRemoteControls ? Thanks!

Sure thing... Done!

grein002
2007-07-13, 07:17
Hi,

I've developed a Slimserver gadget for Google Desktop. This lets you remotely control your Slimserver players.

# Displays the album cover art for the current track
# Supports multiple players
# Displays a popup notification with details of what track is playing
# Play, pause and skip tracks
# Switch the player on and off
# Change the volume
# Play a random mix
# Jump to the main Slimserver Web UI

This is version 1.0 so I'd be interested in people trying the gadget out and letting me know if they find any bugs.

Download it from my website
http://www.bencoleman.co.uk/google-desktop-gadget-slimserver/

Cheers,
Ben

OK, I must be a moron -- how do I add this to my Google desktop? I've added stuff before, but always from their list or by URL. I tried adding by URL (using the link on Ben's page for downloading the gadget -- the link does allow me to download it to my computer), but Google says "not found" -- what am I missing??

Thanks,

Scott

mattybain
2007-07-13, 07:23
What version of Slimserver are you runnning?
Have you configured the server address and player name in the options (right click -> Options)?

BTW - The display update is not realtime, it's controlled by a refresh interval (also in the options) the default is 40 seconds.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11665 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Yes everything is configured fine, it finds the server and also the players(3). I thought it could be because I was using softsqueeze but it is the same with all the players.

The FWD button does work for one press and that is it.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-13, 07:29
OK, I must be a moron -- how do I add this to my Google desktop? I've added stuff before, but always from their list or by URL. I tried adding by URL (using the link on Ben's page for downloading the gadget -- the link does allow me to download it to my computer), but Google says "not found" -- what am I missing??

Thanks,

Scott

Download the file (it should have a .gg extension). Double click the downloaded file and if Google Desktop is correctly installed it will add it for you. Note the gadget looks best when it is detached from the sidebar.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-13, 07:32
SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11665 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Yes everything is configured fine, it finds the server and also the players(3). I thought it could be because I was using softsqueeze but it is the same with all the players.

The FWD button does work for one press and that is it.

Hmmm I can't reproduce the problem here, and no idea why this is happening. Just checking but are you clicking once on the button to skip the track? or holding it down to fast-forward? Because it doesn't support fast-forward (just a single click to skip)
Do you have a lot of items in the playlist?

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-15, 04:41
UPDATE - I found some serious performance issues with my first release (it was loading the whole of status.xml when all I needed was status_header.xml), the new version is 1.2, it fixes that performance problem, and also adds some new features (such as a track details panel)

So if any of you downloaded v1.0 please download the new version from my site.

mattybain
2007-07-15, 12:21
Hmmm I can't reproduce the problem here, and no idea why this is happening. Just checking but are you clicking once on the button to skip the track? or holding it down to fast-forward? Because it doesn't support fast-forward (just a single click to skip)
Do you have a lot of items in the playlist?

No it just doesn't want to work. First couple of presses work then it just stops. It doesn't update or anything.

It also struggles to detect players, currently slimserver is streaming to 2 players and the plugin isn't findng any players.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-15, 14:05
No it just doesn't want to work. First couple of presses work then it just stops. It doesn't update or anything.

It also struggles to detect players, currently slimserver is streaming to 2 players and the plugin isn't findng any players.

Can you please try to download it again?
If you do, you'll get version 1.2 which fixes some serious bugs, it's possible you have a large playlist which would have caused issues for my first release. Even 40~50 tracks might have caused an issue before.

venus light
2007-07-15, 17:29
very cool.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to connect to my SlimServer. I put in the address in the options (192.168.1.101). I am trying to connect from a different pc on the network if that makes any difference.

Also, I am unable to enter anything into the Player Name space.

Any ideas?

Wirrunna
2007-07-15, 17:44
I just loaded this gadget onto a different PC than my SlimServer, after right clicking on the gadget, I entered the SlimServer Host name rather than the address. The gadget found the host and entered the Player name itself. The only problem is it doesn't update - it found the first track in a playlist, now it has found the ninth track. Alerts are enabled, auto refresh is ticked, 10 seconds, notification is also ticked.

Way cool if it works !

Edit:
1. The Track "i" button works.
2. The Back, Play, Pause, Forward buttons don't work.
3. Green button (Bottom left hand) stops the player.
4. Refresh doesn't work.
5. Load the SlimServer web gui works.
Remember, I'm running this on a different PC to the one running SlimServer

venus light
2007-07-15, 17:47
I just loaded this gadget onto a different PC than my SlimServer, after right clicking on the gadget, I entered the SlimServer Host name rather than the address. The gadget found the host and entered the Player name itself. The only problem is it doesn't update - it found the first track in a playlist, now it has found the ninth track. Alerts are enabled, auto refresh is ticked, 10 seconds, notification is also ticked.

Way cool if it works !

what is my server host name?

Wirrunna
2007-07-15, 18:37
On your server, Windows Explorer, highlight My Computer, right click and select Properties, then the Computer Name tab.

mattybain
2007-07-16, 01:34

Way cool if it works !

Edit:
1. The Track "i" button works.
2. The Back, Play, Pause, Forward buttons don't work.
3. Green button (Bottom left hand) stops the player.
4. Refresh doesn't work.
5. Load the SlimServer web gui works.
Remember, I'm running this on a different PC to the one running SlimServer

Yep that is exactly what I am seeing. I also run this on a different computer to slimserver.

Thank you for wording that report so well, I will take some notes for the future :)

One thing I have noticed is that when I try and open slimserver using that last icon it comes up with http://euclid:9000/ and not http://musicserver:9000/ like I have set in my options.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-16, 02:25
To the guys having problems:
I've tested this on several machines (all talking to a slimserver on a remote host) and several people I work with are running it OK, so I'd like to figure out what is different about your set-up, if I may.

One thing I think might be happening is the commands are going to the wrong player, after setting your slimserver host or IP in the options (and clicking OK), go back into the options and select one of the players from the list (so it's highlighted in blue) click OK again.

Failing that...

Please download this latest copy (remove the existing gadget first) http://files.bencoleman.co.uk/index.php?dir=blog/&file=SlimServerControl_v1.2.5.gg
And turn the new logging option on. Run it as normal (try the button presses that don't work) then send me the following log file: C:\Documents and Settings\<your_username>\slimcontrol_gd.log where <your_username> is your windows username. In addition if you could also try to goto http://<your_slimserver>:9000/xml/status_header.xml and send me the resulting XML file.

Please send the log or XML to benc(dot)uk(at)gmail(dot)com

I know it's a pain but I'd really appreciate the help getting this to work on your systems.

Thanks

mattybain
2007-07-16, 03:49
Happy to help. Just going through the steps now.

mattybain
2007-07-16, 03:57
To the guys having problems:

One thing I think might be happening is the commands are going to the wrong player, after setting your slimserver host or IP in the options (and clicking OK), go back into the options and select one of the players from the list (so it's highlighted in blue) click OK again.

Failing that...

Please download this latest copy (remove the existing gadget first) http://files.bencoleman.co.uk/index.php?dir=blog/&file=SlimServerControl_v1.2.5.gg
And turn the new logging option on. Run it as normal (try the button presses that don't work) then send me the following log file: C:\Documents and Settings\<your_username>\slimcontrol_gd.log where <your_username> is your windows username. In addition if you could also try to goto http://<your_slimserver>:9000/xml/status_header.xml and send me the resulting XML file.

Thanks

Where is the option to turn debug logging on? I don't see it anywhere and not in options where I would have thought I would have found it.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-16, 04:04
Where is the option to turn debug logging on? I don't see it anywhere and not in options where I would have thought I would have found it.

It's only in version 1.2.5, go into options there is a tick box in the lower right hand corner.

BTW - you wouldn't happen to be running Vista by any chance??

mattybain
2007-07-16, 04:21
It's only in version 1.2.5, go into options there is a tick box in the lower right hand corner.

BTW - you wouldn't happen to be running Vista by any chance??

Okay I was being thick and didn't use 1.2.5 - have sent you the log, however XML came up with this error.

"XML wouldnt work The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. "

BTW the file was in C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop search.

No Vista here, just plan old XP.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-16, 04:53
OK guys, I've found the problem and fixed it!

It was all due to the Internet Explorer caching settings, if it was set to "Automatic" (which is the IE default) then the buttons would stop working after 1 or 2 presses. I now force the system not cache the URLs I access on the Slimserver.

Can you please try version 1.2.6, this fixes the caching problem.
http://files.bencoleman.co.uk/index.php?dir=blog/&file=SlimServerControl_v1.2.6.gg

BTW - Please don't forget to turn the logging option off!

Thanks again guys for your help!

mattybain
2007-07-16, 05:02
OK guys, I think I've found the problem and fixed it.
It was a really weird problem where I think the system was caching the URLs after a few button presses, and I think it's dependent on the version of IE you have. Any how...

Can you please try version 1.2.6, this fixes the caching problem.
http://files.bencoleman.co.uk/index.php?dir=blog/&file=SlimServerControl_v1.2.6.gg

Thanks again guys for your help!

Great work, seems to be working great now.

That is what I love about this community, great widgets and the desire to help people and get them working.

Long live the slimserver community :)

SlimPvC
2007-07-16, 14:19
UPDATE

So if any of you downloaded v1.0 please download the new version from my site.

It works great here and looks good. Thanks!
One Minor Detail:
in the track detail panel the album artwork refers to
http://euclid:9000/music/7236/cover.jpg
where 'euclid' is not my server, and cover.jpg is not my standard (I use folder.jpg).
I can't seem to change this?

Wirrunna
2007-07-16, 15:14
Well, while us colonials were enjoying a bottle of wine and a good sleep its good to see that the workers in the mother country were hard at it, fixing gadgets and rocking the Galaxy!
The desktop gadget works perfectly now, thank you!

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-16, 15:32
It works great here and looks good. Thanks!
One Minor Detail:
in the track detail panel the album artwork refers to
http://euclid:9000/music/7236/cover.jpg
where 'euclid' is not my server, and cover.jpg is not my standard (I use folder.jpg).
I can't seem to change this?

Ahhh just a silly typo on my part, it was hard coded to point to my server, doh! It's fixed now in version 1.2.7

As for cover.jpg - this is the name Slimserver gives to all the album art in the web API, even if you store it on disk in a different name.

Get v1.2.7 here
http://files.bencoleman.co.uk/index.php?dir=blog/&file=SlimServerControl_v1.2.7.gg

cherise
2007-07-17, 02:18
This looks like a great addition - all works fine for me so far except: I can't increase the size of the gadget! Okay - I've only just installed Google Desktop so I may be doing something foolish, but all other gadgets can be increased in size by dragging - on the Slim gadget dragging at the bottom of the window increases the size of the gadget above! I've moved it to the top, the bottom, all different locations within the sidebar - same effect. Trouble is, I can barely see what's on the display unless I increase the whole sidebar to around 20% of the screen width.

WIndows XP SP2
Slimserver 6.5.3
ATI Radeon 9250 with 19" 1440x900 display

Any suggestions gratefully received - thanks.

Cherise.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-17, 02:28
This looks like a great addition - all works fine for me so far except: I can't increase the size of the gadget! Okay - I've only just installed Google Desktop so I may be doing something foolish, but all other gadgets can be increased in size by dragging - on the Slim gadget dragging at the bottom of the window increases the size of the gadget above! I've moved it to the top, the bottom, all different locations within the sidebar - same effect. Trouble is, I can barely see what's on the display unless I increase the whole sidebar to around 20% of the screen width.

WIndows XP SP2
Slimserver 6.5.3
ATI Radeon 9250 with 19" 1440x900 display

Any suggestions gratefully received - thanks.

Cherise.

The gadget is really designed to be shown on the desktop, undock it from the sidebar. If you like then you can change the size (right click -> zoom).

cherise
2007-07-17, 06:34
Ah - thanks . That explains it. Still, if there were a way of sharpening up the 'what's playing' text just a tad it would sit quite nicely in the sidebar as well.

Thanks for your work on this.

Cherise

SlimPvC
2007-07-17, 11:02
Ahhh just a silly typo on my part, it was hard coded to point to my server, doh! It's fixed now in version 1.2.7

Thanks, Works great now!

Peter

raglencross
2007-07-19, 21:55
Great gadget, but I am having some problems with v1.2.7.0:

1. I get the an error message when entering options: "An error has occurred in the gadget <unknown> in file options.js. Position: line 20, char 3. Code 0x800A1391, Description:"listbox"

2. In the options menu, there are no players shown nor am I able to enter one. On exiting options, I get the same error message, except "line 33, char 2" is shown.

3. Artist information is not displayed.

4. I get "euclid:9000" rather than my page when try to bring up the SS interface.

I have not tried earlier versions of the gadget so cannot say if these problems are new or carryovers from them.

Thanks for the help.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-20, 02:31
Great gadget, but I am having some problems with v1.2.7.0:

1. I get the an error message when entering options: "An error has occurred in the gadget <unknown> in file options.js. Position: line 20, char 3. Code 0x800A1391, Description:"listbox"

2. In the options menu, there are no players shown nor am I able to enter one. On exiting options, I get the same error message, except "line 33, char 2" is shown.

3. Artist information is not displayed.

4. I get "euclid:9000" rather than my page when try to bring up the SS interface.

I have not tried earlier versions of the gadget so cannot say if these problems are new or carryovers from them.

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you are running an old version of Google Desktop, the listbox element (used on the options screen) was added in Mar 2007. Please upgrade to the latest version (I'm using v5.1.0705).

The error with listbox in the options screen is causing all the other issues.

gandt
2007-07-20, 07:16
I'm using the latest version 1.2.7.0 and i think my problem may be with google desktop (recent version downloaded ysterday) . I have the gadget installed fine but it refuses to "see" localhost (or 127.0.0.1 or the normal machine ip 192.168.2.35) - slimserver is on the same machine. But i just get a "please connect to network" notice.

Other google gadgets update normally from the web but i also notice that (unless its being very very slow) google desktop is not indexing properly - so maybe it cant "see" the machine its installed on either. Anyone got any ideas?

lrossouw
2007-07-20, 07:28
using 1.2.7
using Google Desktop 5.1.0706.29690-en-pb

i've tried localhost, computername, ip and the plugin does not work. it does find the player and play fw etc works. but it does not find any track info.

Would be nice if it works. Thanks

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-20, 09:03
I'm using the latest version 1.2.7.0 and i think my problem may be with google desktop (recent version downloaded ysterday) . I have the gadget installed fine but it refuses to "see" localhost (or 127.0.0.1 or the normal machine ip 192.168.2.35) - slimserver is on the same machine. But i just get a "please connect to network" notice.

Other google gadgets update normally from the web but i also notice that (unless its being very very slow) google desktop is not indexing properly - so maybe it cant "see" the machine its installed on either. Anyone got any ideas?

The gadget code checks if the machine has an active network connection as 99% of users will be accessing the server over the network.
I added this check for users that maybe use their machines offline sometimes (say a laptop) and this prevents the gadget trying to connect over and over and failing, there is no point trying to connect if there is no network right!?

I can only assume your machine is standalone and not connected to any other machines or the internet?
If not then there is a bug with Google's network checking code (which wouldn't surprise me)

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-20, 09:10
using 1.2.7
using Google Desktop 5.1.0706.29690-en-pb

i've tried localhost, computername, ip and the plugin does not work. it does find the player and play fw etc works. but it does not find any track info.

Would be nice if it works. Thanks

Sounds like the XML skin on your Slimserver is not returning the correct XML or it's missing some elements.

Can you please try and access the following URL:
http://<your_slimserver>:9000/xml/status_header.xml
and check you get a page back - if you do can you save the XML and email it to me at: benc(dot)uk(at)gmail(dot)com
(Note. Internet Explorer will report a stupid error with the XML, just ignore it and save it)

Thanks!

gandt
2007-07-20, 09:19
The gadget code checks if the machine has an active network connection as 99% of users will be accessing the server over the network.
I added this check for users that maybe use their machines offline sometimes (say a laptop) and this prevents the gadget trying to connect over and over and failing, there is no point trying to connect if there is no network right!?

I can only assume your machine is standalone and not connected to any other machines or the internet?
If not then there is a bug with Google's network checking code (which wouldn't surprise me)

No slimserver is on a regular network and connected via ethernet through a router to my squeezebox (actually an sb+) on 192.168.2.15 so maybe its the google checking code?

lrossouw
2007-07-20, 09:26
Sounds like the XML skin on your Slimserver is not returning the correct XML or it's missing some elements.

Can you please try and access the following URL:
http://<your_slimserver>:9000/xml/status_header.xml
and check you get a page back - if you do can you save the XML and email it to me at: benc(dot)uk(at)gmail(dot)com
(Note. Internet Explorer will report a stupid error with the XML, just ignore it and save it)

Thanks!

i get something like:
"The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. "

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-20, 09:26
i get something like:
"The XML page cannot be displayed

Like I said in my post, Internet Explorer doesn't like the XML, but thats just IE being stupid, please ignore, and save the XML and email anyway.

JoyrexJ9
2007-07-20, 09:28
No slimserver is on a regular network and connected via ethernet through a router to my squeezebox (actually an sb+) on 192.168.2.15 so maybe its the google checking code?

Hmmmm sounds like it, the feature was added to Google Desktop in Nov 2006 (according to the docs) is it possible you have an old version of Google Desktop?

gandt
2007-07-20, 09:41
Hmmmm sounds like it, the feature was added to Google Desktop in Nov 2006 (according to the docs) is it possible you have an old version of Google Desktop?

I downloaded it yesterday (though i did uninstall an old version first)

raglencross
2007-07-20, 11:01
With the latest versions of the gadget and google desktop installed, everything works except no artist is displayed. Track and album info are OK. Could it be because my files are WMA, rather than MP3, or whatever?

Daymo
2008-05-29, 00:54
I've just downloaded the Gadget, and in the instructions it says:

Currently this gadget isn’t fully compatible with the new SqueezeCenter 7.0. It does work, however you need to change the server security to “none”.

I am being really dim this morning and can't find the server security settings could anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

Nonreality
2008-05-29, 05:45
Under setting, then go to the Advanced tab. Then hit the down arrow and you'll see security. Oh btw mines working fine other than I'm not getting any Artist data.

Daymo
2008-05-29, 06:59
Thanks Dude

Working now, but I'm getting the artist data, using mp3s and downloaded the version from the website, not from Google v1.4.1.0, don't know if it's the same one.

Thanks again anyway