PDA

View Full Version : Power down?

Gibbo
2007-07-12, 01:51
Hello,

Just wondering when I turned my sb3 off last night, lights were off in the house, I noticed that the screen when off still had a blue glow from either side and red lines across it, these all vanish when you turn it off at the plug. I'd rather not leave it running like this constantly, is there something more than just the standby? Its still going to burn a little bit of electricity, and the screen surely? The obvious answer is to just turn it off at the wall I know. Just interested in its standby power usage.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-12, 05:40
There isn't really anything you can do about this.

The random pixels on the side seem to be present in both my SB2 and my Transporter, and the red filaments you see are are the cathode filament wires required for operation of the VFD:

http://hem.passagen.se/communication/vfd.html

It won't burn the screen if the display brightness is set to 0.

Gibbo
2007-07-12, 06:55
Cheers.

I'll just get used to turning it off at the plug.

Skittler
2007-07-12, 08:30
Following on from that...

Is it better for the SB3 to be turned on and off once every day or to be left on constantly - with zero brightness when not in use?

I mean in terms of wear & tear on the unit, not electricity costs.

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-12, 08:41
There are differing schools of thought on that, but the one I see most says that electronics tend to fail on start-up. Cold-starts cause power surges and thermal stress on components.

On the other hand, heat kills electronics, so you will likely see differing opinions.