PDA

View Full Version : Good solution for iPod and Linux ?

erland
2007-07-11, 04:10
Has anyone found a good solution with the SlimServer, iPod and Linux combination ?

Today I do as follows:
Rip new CD's to FLAC with EAC using Windows, store them on a network drive on the Linux server. SlimServer points to this directory.

flac2mp3 is run every night and converts any new or changed FLAC files to MP3 and put these in a separate directory structure. The MP3 files should be used on the iPod.

In iTunes I have a number of smart playlists, one main playlist which has a criteria to limit the size to 6GB (I have a 6GB iPod mini). The smart playlist is constructed so it priorities high rated tracks and exclude some old albums and leaves out low rated or non rated tracks to get below 6GB in total size. All the smart playlists are constructed so they only contain tracks which is in this main playlist.

When syncronizing with the iPod from iTunes i select to syncronize all the playlists that depends on the main playlist (which is limited to 6GB).

I would like to get rid of Windows and use Linux only. EAC is one problem but I know there are solutions for the ripping part, but the other part is the iPod synchronization. The problem is that most of the Linux software available seems to do the iPod synchronization with a directory and have no possibility to limit the synchronized files to those in a smart playlist.

Does anyone have a good solution for iPod synchronization that doesn't involve Windows/Mac and iTunes ?

maggior
2007-07-18, 13:12
I'm not aware of a Linux solution to sync the iPod in a manner that you suggest.

I'm considering moving toward Linux as the platform for SlimServer and am in a similar situation - I too use an iPod. Also, I've spent a lot of time over the years with EAC and various encoding tools that I'd like to stay with Windows as my tool to rip and encode my music.

I was thinking of doing the opposite of what you have done - my idea is to have all of the mp3 files reside on my Windows box and share the directory out to mount on the Linux box that would run SlimServer.

Has anybody run a setup like this? Any pitfalls to watch out for? I'm thinking of running SuSe 10.2.

egd
2007-07-18, 17:11
I run a Linux and Windows PC networked via SAMBA and share data between the two OS'. My Linux PC is my main workstation and is used for just about everything I do with PCs. The only reason I keep an instance of Windows is to do tagging and tag maintenance via mp3tag and manage my iPod via a freeware program called vPod. Until recently all my FLAC audio was hosted on a 3TB NTFS RAID array and I ran slimserver on the Linux desktop accessing the FLAC library via SAMBA. Funny enough, this configration outperforms running slimserver on the Windows box (which is dual core, whereas the Linux box isn't). The bottom line is slimserver performs significantly better on linux than it does on windows.

I use flac2mp3 to generate mp3 for my iPod (stored on the Linux box and access the files from windows using a windows share. Works for me and is totally transparent once set up. The SAMBA share is just setup as a drive in Windows. With a gigabit network, transfer speeds are not an issue.

My slimserver and FLAC library are now hosted on a Thecus N5200PRO comprising 3TB of storage, meaning I can totally bypass my PCs when playing music, but equally can access the data from my Linux or Widnows desktops whenever the need arises.

Shadowtester
2007-07-18, 19:10
I run EAC all the time to rip cd's into flac using Kubuntu 7.04 and wine windows emulator it works great for me.

maggior
2007-07-19, 07:05
This is all great info - thanks for the replies!

I'm really surprised that EAC would behave itself under wine on Linux. I think I'll have to play with that :-).

egd
2007-07-19, 09:13
I'm really surprised that EAC would behave itself under wine on Linux. I think I'll have to play with that :-).

Why not just install cdparanoia with Grip? Works beautifully.

peterw
2007-07-19, 10:24
In iTunes I have a number of smart playlists, one main playlist which has a criteria to limit the size to 6GB (I have a 6GB iPod mini). The smart playlist is constructed so it priorities high rated tracks and exclude some old albums and leaves out low rated or non rated tracks to get below 6GB in total size. All the smart playlists are constructed so they only contain tracks which is in this main playlist.

I would like to get rid of Windows and use Linux only. EAC is one problem but I know there are solutions for the ripping part, but the other part is the iPod synchronization. The problem is that most of the Linux software available seems to do the iPod synchronization with a directory and have no possibility to limit the synchronized files to those in a smart playlist

If you get rid of Windows and iTunes, what will you use to replace iTunes' smart playlists? Building a script to sync the first 6GB of music from a playlist doesn't seem tough. But I don't know how you'd create the playlist.

Are you sticking with the Apple firmware, or considering moving to free software (http://www.rockbox.org/) on the iPod, too? :-)

erland
2007-07-19, 13:22
If you get rid of Windows and iTunes, what will you use to replace iTunes' smart playlists?Smart playlists are supported in several of the Linux applications, for example gtkpod and Amarok. The problem with this are:
- Amarok has no criteria for limiting the smart playlist to a specific size in GB, I'm also not sure if it supports to export only files which are in a playlist. Next TrackStat version will support export/import of statistics to/from Amarok, so getting the SlimServer ratings into Amarok won't be a problem.
- There doesn't seem to be any way to get my SlimServer ratings into gtkpod, I'm also not sure if it supports to export only files which are in a playlist.

Ratings are important because I use them as one of the criterias to select which 6GB of music to export to the iPod.

Building a script to sync the first 6GB of music from a playlist doesn't seem tough. But I don't know how you'd create the playlist.
Do you have any ideas regarding this ?
I have no problem to generate a standard playlist file, I can implement this pretty easy by using SQL towards the Amarok database. The problem is that the applications doesn't seem to support to export music based on a playlist, they typically supports to export a whole directory.

I guess I could generate a directory which only contains the correct songs with a script that copies or soft links the correct files. I could then choose to just export this directory from Amarok or gtkpod, but I wish there was an easier way.

Are you sticking with the Apple firmware, or considering moving to free software (http://www.rockbox.org/) on the iPod, too? :-)I've installed the Rockbox software, so currently I have both installed in a dual boot configuration. However, the Rockbox doesn't really have any good support for smart playlists yet and it doesn't seem as user friendly as the apple firmware, so I'm not sure it will solve anything.