PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Plus ?

Loki
2007-07-10, 12:02
With Apples new iT+ service I am wondering if now that the DRM restrictions have been lifted that the SqueezeBox can now play these files.

I am guessing not but maybe someone out here can give me a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Warren

SteveEast
2007-07-10, 12:39
I can't give a definitive answer, but since the Itunes Plus songs are 256kbps AAC with no DRM then they should play just fine on the SB. The old 128kbps versions also play after you've stripped the DRM...

Steve.

funkstar
2007-07-10, 12:48
Yeah, no reason why not. DRM was the reason iTunes purchased tracks couldn't be played. With no DRM, they should play fine.

AubreyCTurnerJr
2007-07-10, 15:34
I purchased an album from iTunes Plus about a week ago and got it working with my SB3 in short order.

I simply copied the files from the laptop where I was running iTunes to the Slimserver music directory via Samba (my Slimserver is running on Linux). Since I hadn't previously streamed AAC files*, I also had to get mplayer working, which didn't take long (it was already installed; I just had to create custom-convert.conf with the appropriate entries).

Sound quality seemed fine, although to my ears it lacked some of the range of my FLAC files. But to be fair, I'd probably need to compare the same music tracks in both formats to be sure that I could hear a difference. I'm not an audiophile by any means, though, so I'm not too worried about it.

* In the past I played my iTunes purchases on my SB3 by "un-DRM'ing" them and converting to MP3 (Don't tell Steve Jobs, though. ;) ).

Jungle
2007-07-11, 01:17
With Apples new iT+ service I am wondering if now that the DRM restrictions have been lifted that the SqueezeBox can now play these files.

I am guessing not but maybe someone out here can give me a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Warren

Tried a couple of tacks yesterday and they work fine on the Squeezebox. I'm playing them from iTunes (latest version) on a Mac Mini running OSX and SlimServer on the same box just in case that helps.

Loki
2007-07-11, 05:14
Thanks for the replies. This is great news. I thought I would check in here with you folks before making my next purchase....

I have also noted that iT+ has a feature to upgrade your existing library. I only have a couple of albums so may give that a whirl.

Warren

eschurr
2007-09-24, 17:12
what version of slimserver are you all running? i'm running 6.5.1 and i just bought a DRM plus song from iTunes and i can't see it in slimserver even after a rescan (you can't see regular iTunes DRM-controlled files in slimserver either).

Do i need a special version of SS to play the DRM-free files from iTunes?

eschurr
2007-09-24, 17:34
Ignore that last post -- i figured it out. total user error on my part. DUH.

the good news is that SlimServer CAN play the DRM Plus songs from iTunes without any modifications or gyrations. I've been buying-burning-ripping for years and i can do without all that now.

Celebrate!