PDA

View Full Version : Two SB3s, very different wireless "rates"?

NeilB
2007-07-10, 08:05
I have two SB3s. Poking around in my Apple Airport admin utility I noticed a "Wireless Clients" list that I hadn't seen before (I've only recently bought it).

From the MAC addresses I deciphered which of the clients were my two SB3s. Here's the typical readings from the columns;

(SB3 1)
Signal -55
Noise -88
Rate 54

(SB3 2)
Signal -70
Noise -88
Rate fluctuates between 8 and 12

Now the second SB3 is one floor up from the first one in the house (we're on 3 floors, router being on the ground) but that's a big drop off in "rate" isn't it?

I'm just about to physically swap them over and see what happens but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had an explanation?

NeilB
2007-07-10, 08:28
Well, I answered my own question there.

Moved the SB3 from the top floor to the middle floor and the rate is changed to a steady "54".

Hmmmmm :(

SuperQ
2007-07-10, 08:42
Well, I answered my own question there.

Moved the SB3 from the top floor to the middle floor and the rate is changed to a steady "54".

Hmmmmm :(

Rate is directly proportional to how much signal the device can get. Most AP devices are aligned horizontally, so you will get a lot less signal above/below the AP than you get from the sides. I don't know what the antenna is like in the Apple one tho.

EDIT: oh, and the -70 signal is very close to your noise floor (-88).. it makes perfect sense that you would get a much lower rate for the second one.

mortslim
2007-07-10, 23:17
it makes perfect sense that you would get a much lower rate for the second one.

Could you please clarify what you mean by "the second one".

I have three squeezeboxes and one of the three (closest to my access point at the far end of the house where five other neighbor's wireless lans are detected)loses its connectivity and reverts to its setup screen every other day or so, compared to my two other squeezeboxes which apparently get their signal from my wireless router, not the access point.

Does having more than one squeezebox playing on the lan affect performance?

Also I have four wireless security cameras all operating on the 2.4 gig frequency (which I assume is the same as the squeezeboxes). I have had to disconnect two of them so that my squeezeboxes can have stability. If all four cameras are broadcasting, I can't connect to the squeezenetwork from any squeezebox. When I have only two cameras operative, then the squeezeboxes work fine except for the third squeezebox as mentioned above.

I have tried changing wireless channels, using a static ip address and also moving my third squeezebox around the room. No luck. It still reverts to the setup screen every other day.

What prompted this reply is the comment by the previous poster about "the second one". Does anyone else have connectivity issues when multiple squeezeboxes are playing simultaneously?

Should I disconnect all my cameras? I'd rather have music than security.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

The cameras broadcast. The squeezeboxes receive. So maybe one thing has nothing to do with the other.

If more than one squeezebox is receiving at the same time, does this suck the radiowaves out of the air so that there are no more for additional squeezeboxes? Does this make sense?

Have my neighbors messed me up since five of them also have wifi networks?

Any ideas?

Any suggestions?

Has anyone else ever had a squeezebox revert to the setup screen every other day and did you find a solution for this?

jeffmeh
2007-07-11, 04:26
It is unlikely that one SB is negatively affecting the wireless reception of another.

It is much more likely that your wireless cameras/neighbors' networks are interfering with your wireless signals.

You may wish to try it with the cameras off, and see if that solves your problem. With the cameras off, try changing the network channel to better avoid the neighbors.

2.4GHz wireless is susceptible to interference from cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc. With some experimenting, you probably will be able to get it to work well. If not, you may wish to consider a homeplug device.

Also, have you tried swapping the locations of the SB that resets and one that does not, to try to determine whether it is location or device dependent? Any chance that the one that resets is losing power?

mortslim
2007-07-11, 09:07
the one that resets is actually two squeezeboxes. One, that I bought, and then returned for a second one in an exchange, that does the same thing. In other words, the replacement does the same thing, reverts to setup screen every couple of days.

I put the original bad squeezebox in a different room right next to a good working squeezebox on the same power strip and swapped power supplies. same problem.

the bad squeezebox is black. my two others with no problems are white.

has anyone else had this problem with the black version of the squeezebox?

thanks for the input.

Anyone have experience with homeplug? Is it ready for primetime?

I was on the default channel six on my wifi network and then switched to channel eleven. same problem.

so I have tried different channels, different locations, static ip address, turned off broadcasting cameras, all to no effect.

is there are other possibility other than hard wiring the squeezebox?

aubuti
2007-07-11, 09:13
It sounds to me like you have so much interference from your cameras and neighbors' networks that wired is the most sensible way for you to go. I haven't used homeplugs, but the reviews are generally very good, and infinitely easier than pulling cat5 (unless you happen to have the walls/floor open).

JJZolx
2007-07-11, 09:16
the one that resets is actually two squeezeboxes. One, that I bought, and then returned for a second one in an exchange, that does the same thing. In other words, the replacement does the same thing, reverts to setup screen every couple of days.

I put the original bad squeezebox in a different room right next to a good working squeezebox on the same power strip and swapped power supplies. same problem.

There's always the possibility that you got two bad Squeezeboxes. Any chance the replacement SB3 is the same unit that you returned?

If you can run it next to good SBs and the others don't display this behavior, then I'm not sure what other conclusion you can come to.

mortslim
2007-07-11, 13:22
"Any chance the replacement SB3 is the same unit that you returned?"

Actually I cynically thought the same thing but the mac address was different. Is it possible for slim devices to change the mac address on the same machine?

JJZolx
2007-07-11, 13:42
"Any chance the replacement SB3 is the same unit that you returned?"

Actually I cynically thought the same thing but the mac address was different. Is it possible for slim devices to change the mac address on the same machine?

I believe the MAC address on the SBs is held in firmware, as there has been a long-standing bug of the MAC address changing and screwing up communication with the device. So it may be possible, but someone would have to go to the trouble of explicitly doing this. I think you just got another bum Squeezebox.