PDA

View Full Version : Softsqueeze sees server but wont play songs

mikezee
2007-07-09, 22:31
Hey - curious if anyone else has encountered this. Love my squeezebox & trying to run softsqeeze since I travel a lot & want to listen anywhere.

I can connect via an SSH tunnel to my SlimServer. No apparent problem with the SSH connection. My music library (mostly flac, some mp3) comes up on the softsqueeze. I can fully browse through the library. But when I hit play, nothing happens.

On the SlimServer window (back on the home computer), it shows the proper song playing -- looks like everything's working fine. But back on the computer running softsqueeze, no music, the timer in the "now playing" screen never budges off of the song's total running time, etc. It does not appear to play regardless of whether the file is an mp3 or flac.

The only other hint I have as to what's going on is this: When I go to the console window in the softsqueeze prefs window I can see the following, once for each time I hit the play button:

238875 [SlimTCP-1] ERROR player - strm IO error
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.titmuss.softsqueeze.audio.Player.connect(Playe r.java:340)
at org.titmuss.softsqueeze.audio.Player.slimprotoCmd( Player.java:211)
at org.titmuss.softsqueeze.net.Protocol.socketCommand (Protocol.java:421)
at org.titmuss.softsqueeze.net.Protocol.access$400(Pr otocol.java:42)
at org.titmuss.softsqueeze.net.Protocol$TcpSocket.run (Protocol.java:520)

Any ideas from more java fluent people? Thanks for any and all help.

-MZ

Mark Lanctot
2007-07-11, 06:04
Have you made sure both ports 9000 TCP and 3483 TCP/UDP are tunnelled?

mikezee
2007-07-16, 19:40
I am an SSH newbie. Is there something I need to do on the ssh server side, or can I just have these ports forwarded from the router having established an ssh connection to port 22?

If it's the latter, I'm doing that & it's still not working. (Do i need to change something in the softsqueeze prefs?) If it's the former, any hints on how to do this? I'm just using the sharing control panel in OS X to create the ssh server....

Thanks for any/all help.

-MZ

mikezee
2007-07-17, 12:05
Never mind -- apparently you have to separate the "additional ports to forward" in the Softsqueeze window by commas. Then it works fine. Music anywhere - awesome!

Thanks,
MZ

flynn
2009-04-12, 20:23
I have the exact same problem. Can you tell me exactly how you solved this?

Do we really need to forward 9000/3483 on the server, in addition to 22? Isn't the whole point of using ssh/22 so that we don't have to open up 9000/3483?

jarome
2010-07-08, 14:08
I tried using my dynamic dns address (from home, so it goes out the router and back in I think). I am tunneling 9000 and 3483 also, and using ssh keys.
I connect, but softsqueeze goes beserk, constantly (apparently) losing the connection.
What could be wrong?

bpa
2010-07-08, 14:45
"Berserk" is not a very helpful description of what is happening. More details such as
- Whether anything appears on Softsqueeze disply
- Can you move through menus ?
- Can you play any music ?
- Does the problem happen randomly or after some sequence or perhaps a time limit ?

To give help, you should give more details such as
SBS version
Softsqueeze version
Java version
What is shown in the Softsqueeze console/log window when you have problems ?
Are there any "interesting" message in the SBS log ?

jarome
2010-07-08, 14:51
It is the latest server 7.5.1 in Linux.
The SoftSqueeze is 3.7
Java is 1.6_20

When connected via the tunnel, the log keeps saying lost contact with Slim server, so SoftSqueeze displays its correct screen, then lost connection, then the screen, many times a second.

bpa
2010-07-08, 15:25
3.7 doesn't work reliably with 7.3 onwards.

You need 3.8 or 3.9b1 (available using though plugins)

jarome
2010-07-08, 15:30
3.7 doesn't work reliably with 7.3 onwards.

You need 3.8 or 3.9b1 (available using though plugins)
There is nothing on the plugins page of the server that I can see. I would love a newer version. It should not be so hard to find softsqueeze. It used to be on the main Web page.

Please be more specific as to where I can get the newer softsqueezes.

garym
2010-07-08, 15:32
There is nothing on the plugins page of the server that I can see. I would love a newer version. It should not be so hard to find softsqueeze. It used to be on the main Web page.

Please be more specific as to where I can get the newer softsqueezes.

It is called "community softsqueeze" under the plugins page. Look under the "C's". and be sure to check the "show 3rd party plugins" box.

jarome
2010-07-08, 15:41
I found 3.8 from SourceForge. I get the same results. And when I connect via ssh tunnel on my laptop, and it keeps disconnecting, my SoftSqueeze on my desktop starts to blink, so the server is being taxed.

bpa
2010-07-08, 15:51
I can't provide any specific help but you could try enabling logging for SSH and slimproto in the Softsqueeze Debug tab and then re-open the console window and see what log message are saved.

It sounds like a firewall or similar issue on port 3483 where messages from Softsqueeze are not being received/processed by SBS.

jarome
2010-07-08, 16:13
The problem is running two SoftSqueezes (from different machines) at once. If I turn the one on my desktop off, the laptop one works through the tunnel. If the desktop one is also on, both go beserk.

Is there a limit of only one SoftSqueeze at a time?

pski
2010-07-08, 21:40
I can't provide any specific help but you could try enabling logging for SSH and slimproto in the Softsqueeze Debug tab and then re-open the console window and see what log message are saved.

It sounds like a firewall or similar issue on port 3483 where messages from Softsqueeze are not being received/processed by SBS.

I agree. Port 3483's not working will prevent commands from SoftSqueze reaching the server. If this is remote streaming, make sure your forwarding table is correct in your router/DSL modem/etc.

Any number of SoftSqueezes can run. I'd recommend a max of 1/client.. It's good but it isn't magic.

P

Statto
2010-09-20, 03:46
I am a definite novice when it comes to port forwarding, SSH, etc, but I am also experiencing issues with Softsqueeze working perfectly well 'within' my home network but not from 'outside'.

My set-up is

QNAP TS-239 Pro running SSOTS 4.9 and SBS 7.5.1
Softsqueeze 3.8 installed on laptop, connected wirelessly to the QNAP

At home, Softsqueeze works great but from outside my home network I don't hear any music. This is despite the SSH connection working fine and the selected tracks appearing in the Softsqueeze display.

If I use Winamp (or MediaMonkey etc) and play my url (serverip:9001/stream.mp3) then that works, albeit with the expected time lag and occasional stuttering depending on the speed of the connection I happen to be on.

I had thought (hoped) that the fact that Winamp works would mean that all port forwarding etc was set up correctly for remote use of Softsqueeze but this clearly isn't the case.

Anyone else had a similar experience?