X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnhaines
    • Nov 2006

Recommendations for a small footprint server, please

Hi,

After a lot of frustration trying to get SS to work on my desktop after upgrading to Vista Ultimate I have decided to look at buying something small, cheap-ish and preferably quiet to use as a dedicated server on my network.

I have looked at the various NAS options on the forum ... but I am afraid that I have lost my enthusiasm for digging into code and hacking boxes to get them to work. What I really want is something I can get off the shelf and have a very high level of confidence that it will work as soon as I install SS on it.

Does anyone use a Mac Mini, for instance? Is it up to the job? I wouldn't really want to spend any more than the cost of an entry level Mac Mini ... about £400 here in the UK.
    Are there other options with a similarly small footprint?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    John
  • bobharp
    • May 2005

Try a Shuttle (http://shuttle.com) system
    or look at:

for small form factor resources.

Even cooler run your squeezebox with the way cool
    SlimCD
    Bob Harper

Comment

• topa
      • Aug 2006

On the cheap, go for HP/Compaq Evo USDTs (Ultra Slim Desk Top), either s/h 510 or 530 modells or the currrent line (550?). Works a treat!

Comment

• qirex
        • Sep 2005

I run a fall 2005-vintage Mac mini [1.8ghz] with a firewire HD, works great and I haven't even upgraded the RAM. I run it headless and use VNC when I need to control it.

Comment

• tot
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bobharp
          Try a Shuttle (http://shuttle.com) system
          I had a shuttle few years back and when it expired (well, I modded it slightly...) I replaced it with Asus Pundit. It is cheaper and slimmer, very good.

Teemu
          Teemu

Comment

• ratso
            • May 2007

i love my mini and HIGHLY recommend it (to anyone that will listen actually)
            Salk HT-2TL's - emotiva UPA-2 - Emotiva USP-1 - Slim Devices Touch (coming soon) - Panamax M4300PM power conditioner - Cables by Me!

Comment

• Balthazar_B
              • Sep 2006

If you're looking for something to run some recent flavor of Linux, you might try:

Now some of the bits on these machines *may be* too new for drivers to have been written, but a little research should tell the tale.

If you're looking for something even smaller, there are many DIY, low-power setups that would run Slimserver quite well.

Comment

• googdot
                • Apr 2006

i run slimserver on an older Mac Mini G4 (1.25) that I picked up second-hand and can highly recommend it. A great cheap alternative! Its run headless, and use VNC when necessary for updates, etc.

i upgraded the HD to 160GB and everything else is stock - even the RAM which is only 512mb. been running well over a year now with no issues at all. and best part...it looks good in the lounge too

Comment

• Ron F.
                  • May 2006

See my post:

The nano-ITX box in the photo I attached is an eBox model 3850. It can be had for a reasonable price here:

My total cost for the whole thing was about $1k. I have 750 GBytes of storage, and very fast response time from the little server running Michael's SlimCD. The system is also extremely quiet - no fan.

-Ron
                  Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
                  Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 18.04 + Squeezelite + Epiphany/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
                  Bedroom: RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink Revolve
                  Phone: Pixel 6a + Termux/Squeezelite + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
                  Server: System76 Meerkat + Pop!_OS 22.04 + LMS 8.5

Comment

• johnhaines
                    • Nov 2006

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to start working through all of the options suggested over the next couple of days. I hadn't realised that there were so many options available.

The SlimCD approach looks very interesting. I definitely need to have a closer look at it.

John

Comment

• Michael Herger
                      Babelfish's Best Boy
                      • Apr 2005

Recommendations for a small footprint server, please

> The SlimCD approach looks very interesting. I definitely need to have a
                      > closer look at it.

....and don't forget to consider FreeNAS/SlimNAS as well. It's imho simpler
                      to set up.

Michael
                      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
                      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

Working...